Any ACTUAL chance of having fun as solo

Sure. Forum posting. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Playing for a year, been in 3 corps but I have been playing I would say about 99% solo. Now I play 100% solo. Solo remains the most popular way to play EVE hands down because is just too convenient.

There is very little in the game that you cannot do solo and it would not make sense for the game not to put solo as the No 1 way to play the game for the simple reason is that time is the most precious thing for all players. Getting players together is extremely time consuming.

There are activities in the game that are specifically designed for teams and in some cases very large teams like incursion fleets but they are a minority of the game and can be easily ignored without sacrificing the fun factor.

As always the advice should be play the way you like, never let anyone tell you how you should play the game, its your time and you are the boss.

EVE PVP is very poor gameplay wise, it usually is all about fleets against solo players. You can do it solo too but you have to have a good ship and pick your targets carefully. If you like me came to EVE because of PVP you most likely going to be severely disappointed. Much of what you read in blog posts, articles, reviews and youtube videos are hugely exaggerating about the value of PVP in EVE.

1 Like

Forget nullsec. Come to lowsec and join the fun, solo or small PvP corp.

1 Like

I did try null sec corp for PVP only, was bored to death with the gatecamping. I managed to last for a week , lost no ship , just followed commands.

It did make me realize that solo PVP is much more to my liking though so it was not a complete loss. So I will definetly be visiting low sec more frequently now that I feel a bit more experienced although far from a good PVP player.

I compltely agree low sec is a very good place to stretch my guns , I am actually located very close to low and null sec. I am also interested into ratting in those systems. Although I would like to get a bit familiar with PVP part first.

Too many corps promise so much and do so little otaku difficult.

1 Like

I agree with you that Eve sucks, especially solo. I don’t have any real suggestions for solo activity, as I often wonder this myself. However, if you want to do some PvP, hit me up and I can get you into that. We don’t do any mining, or PvE. If money is a concern, I can show you how to make money from looting destroyed ships. I hate everyone too, so I’m sure we’ll get along just fine.

I have effectively been playing solo since 2009 as I gave up on large null alliances (too many idiots, too much politics, too many schemers and carebears). I do have alts left and right in the more obvious large groups but those are just for uhm… “learning purposes”, I don’t actively play them. And I do occasionally team up with some old friends when they need the help but that is very sporadic.

I do combat exploration in high sec for income (pays more than most people realise), I have other characters that do solo pvp in null, I have a bomber alt who just lingers in WH space and I have a super friendly helper character who hangs in career systems helping newbies and occasionally gives away free fitted ships.

When I’m chilling (so not on a pvp character) I hang in Rookie channel helping newbies with their questions. I do fine solo, but that doesn’t mean I don’t interact with others (positive or “negative”). Without player interaction, in whatever form or way, the game would become VERY stale and boring to me.

This play style allows me to regulate my activity and commitment level to suit my mood and needs, while avoiding the annoyance of having to deal with “undesirables” just because they’re part of the same group you’re in. While I’m still interacting with others in a constructive or nefarious way.

You can easily solo in EVE.

Been doing solo frigate PvP most of my eve career and it is a perfectly viable PvP activity. However, PvP in EVE in general is not a sequence of non-stop action, especially not when you are flying solo. It is lots of roaming around trying to find targets to fight. Most of the time, you will find people hiding as soon as you enter local or d-scan. Sometimes you will find that cyno bait cruiser that has a fleet of blackops battleships drop on your lonely T1 frigate. But once in a while, you will find that awesome 1v1 fight that made it all worth.

However, if you want non-stop PvP action then it’s is easier to just become part of a bigger group. The more people, the bigger your engagement profile becomes.

As for PvE, yes it is also viable to do solo. If you want more ISK than solo mining in highsec, then you need to look at more risky avenues. Wormhole space is soloable and pays out a decent amount of isk. However, you should really just do whatever you find enjoyable and finances your PvP habits. Having an IRL job and just paying PLEX for ISK is also a very lucrative solo activity.

There are a couple of activities you could try out there, which include

• Lowsec PVP / Roaming
• Exploration / Combat Exploration
• Wormhole Diving

Lowsec PVP / Roaming
If you like to PVP, this is what I would recommend you do.
Set-up in a high-sec trade hub like JITA or AMARR, buy yourself some ships, then go to lowsec (specifically FW lowsec) and go shoot people running FW sites (also known as ‘Complexes’). This is easy to get into, and you can start off with frigates and really work your way to dessies and cruisers. Anything larger and you’ll likely get blobbed or wont have fights taken against you often. You do not need to be a member of a faction warfare group to do this. This activity would be the quickest way to find action.

To find fights, I like to use dotlan, a website which can show number of ships killed in the last little bit. The first number is the number of ships killed, the second number is the number of pods killed.

To make isk from this venture, ensure that you loot the targets you kill and store them in a station in the system you are in for collection and sale at a later date. I would also couple this activity with the next one I will be explaining.

Exploration / Combat Exploration
Exploration is a great way to make a lot of isk with very little start-up capital. All you need is a t1 exploration frigate fit with data/relic analyzers, and then go system to system looking for sites to run. The loot you get will be enough to easily fund your PVP, and the best part is, you can start and stop this activity at any time.

You’ll want to get used to the hacking minigame. There are guides out there such as:

Wormhole Diving
I hear this is profitable, but I do not partake in this at all, so I am thus by no means a person to comment on this activity for PVP/Solo/Isk making. Wormholes force a pilot to rely on their D-Scan tool to assess threat levels, which adds an interesting and fun aspect to the micromanagement you need to do while playing.

I want to end things off by saying that I understand there are different types of social behaviours (introverted, extroverted, etc…). With that in mind, I REALLY recommend you keep your eyes peeled for a group of people that you get along with. EVE is a game that is much more fun when you find your tribe, so to speak.

1 Like

“Novice and small plexes will let you avoid being ambushed by gang” Some solid stand-up material there. Give this guy a mic.

Ships for you: Stratios, cloaky T3C, recons. Wander, drink, kill (occasionally), die (often). Get in a fight at a bowling alley parking lot then order pancakes.

Just walk away dude. This really is not the game for solo anything. Even in corps/comms you’ll spend much of your time searching and waiting. It’s mostly just about smoking weed, bullshitting and grinding.
You and I missed the golden era where maybe a successful/fun solo niche could exist., but its pretty empty now. If you want higher chance of pvp, roam Black Rise, just know you will be blobbed literally everywhere.

Ill now shamelessly take this opportunity for a plug for an Arena. This idea is hated among the ensconced elite due to misunderstanding and narrow mindedness, but it has a solid chance of rejuvenating the game.
Ask CCP for an arena.

1 Like

You know, CCP introduced an arena a couple patches ago? It’s called Abyssal proving ground. Stop whining, prove your compentence in 1:1 PvP!

2 Likes

Ya theres not much fun to be had solo. Either you join a massive corp and get back up or anything you do solo will be shadowed by the sharks. If you try to take or best them in anyways you might as well reroll another starter character. Cause they will hunt and kill you until the point you will wonder why you wasted all the time learning to play when people here only run you off. And you will be told that’s the way it is in Eve. Either get used to it or go they say. Option 2 for most new guys.

The more you learn about the game, the more opportunities you will begin to see for a solo pilot.

2 Likes

Maybe the problem here is expecting or searching for solo play. Maybe you need to find a better corp for non-solo PvP?

it’s a step in the right direction, but obviously with few misalignment to true intent.
A- come with the 1B cruiser or go home and, B- there’s always a chance you roll that really bad room and dont even make it.
I like that they are dipping toes in the water tho. Seems EVE has not died from instanced pvp yet tho. Crazy.

It‘s not dead yet, but I clearly see the difference. Less people in space, less people moving. Exploration profession got a big hit. The only reason it hasn‘t killed EvE yet, is the skill/ISK entry barrier.

If that is so (and Im not convinced), it’s obviously due to the 20m per abyss doing the PvE aspect, not the optional PvP at the end which lasts… 3 minutes?
People are running many abyss per day-- with no PvP and limited ship loss-- adding up to potentially much less time spent in public, and little demand for new ships. Even if we assume they would be in public otherwise (and not just sitting in a station or even logged on), this still doesn’t 1-1 translate into your precious gank fodder.

A proper arena in place of this would actually be better for the situation you describe.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.