Apple announced they will be dropping Intel silicon

Well, all fine and dandy with them using and contributing to open source, great stuff, just don’t start walling it off and taking over it (I can argue they - some major companies are - already are)

I really want to see more open source hardware and low level stuff (CPU’s GPU’s and firmware) take more hold in the market, perhaps a supercomputer based on open source RISC CPU’s (RISC-V perhaps).

We also need to fight the power problem with devices, Nice to see ARM being used for this, they’re just too demanding on power and massive power packs and short lifespan or power storage

It’s not unsusual for me to get 10 years out of a laptop, but they just have such a short power / battery life and massive power packs and each for different hardware. Upgradability is big for me along with servicability and I load up on spare parts when I get hardware that will make it last a decade.

Big power jump purchases every 4 or 5 years, and keep them running for about 10 years or more. Linux really helps here too.

There was a moment in time when Apple, Linux or Google could have captured the enterprise.

But it came down to what it has been coming down to since the first business app was written on a mainframe.

Developer tools.

People who develop real business software and SUCCEED don’t waste time on science projects and shitty development tools.

The web had a chance, but the browser wars made developing real applications on the web a generalized hassle. Plus the web standards people just don’t “get” the fact that a line of business application can have a 20 year+ life span.

1 Like

we still send bills spat out by COBOL on mainframes from tape reels, you don’t have to upgrade if you don’t want to, use what you have, same happened on the way to the moon, they had to use a loo roll and some wire, we still have OS/2 Warp running on systems, why in a hurry to change what works?

I have appliances that never shut down, keep running and rarely updated without good reason if at all

There is a time to change and update, every day and every hour from Google Play is not one of them

I always tend to giggle and smirk when I read “I updated now my xyz doesn’t work”, I just ask why they updated, and the usual response follows, “I want the latest” (and without knowing what that change is) (I see this often on Linux too)

2 Likes

I’m writing a WinForms app right now, the client is paying top dollar and thrilled to have it.

There was no discussion about any mobile platform and only a slight consideration given to the web, the web ended with the words “new server” which of course the app doesn’t need.

1 Like

One thing I do like about Intel is upgrade paths and choices on the same socket for decades, you can keep hardware going for years and years with that and even tailor it for your needs on power demand and heat and instruction set features and so on, AMD suck at upgrade choices on a socket (this is one reason I avoid AMD, longitivity), ARM, I don’t know but, I aim sure Apple will have it so you have to get a new box. One thing I don’t like is all the hidden layers on the processor itself with “management” features that becomes a risk and bloat, we need more open hardware.

All I know is that if CCP stops supporting Macs, I get to save about 600 bucks a year. Fine with me.

Nice, that should be enough to get a Linux box for Eve… oh

I think that the games for the Mac will end up being thoughts found on the iPhone & iPad. But then the Mac has never had a lot of games to begin with.

i have like 700 on steam,
Captura de Tela 2020-06-24 às 01.36.21
indie boy don’t like triple A
but you are right , ios receive wayyy more luv than mac os on the game side of the things

Song: # Every Os Sucks

Three Dead Trolls In A Baggie

@Solecist_Projekt

well that sounds great but it did not work when they changed from PowerCPUs to intels … a lot of software is not useable on intels … of course with the x64 only change most of it would be trash anyways but still …

[quote=“Solecist_Projekt, post:9, topic:250862”]
Apple already has a whole ecosystem around ARM. [/quote]
but EVE dont run on that stuff yet so it will be work for CCP and we will see if CCP thinks it will pay out in the end
i hope CCP will do it for the players who have a apple system

good thing is you dont need a high power machine
for me its interessting how apple will get as much power out of the ARMs like they do on the intels … guess it will be hard to get the power of a i9 or a Xeon but we will see …

JuuR

Custom die modules and magic dust

(I give an example w.r.t specific and complex AES-NI instructions on CISC vs RISC Encryption Engine modules, remember RISC has a simplier pipeline and instruction set, takes more instructions but can also have custom die modules for functionality) ARM also has “optional” extensions for functionality.

I’ve been programming assembly on the Nintendo DS.
It has two ARM CPUs.

I can tell you, ARM has an extremely powerful assembly language.
These CPUs have features many people wished x86 would have.

From my perspective this is mostly a non-issue. They’re giving a two-year-long transition time and most code will most likely be just recompiled. It’s not like most programmers use assembly language nowadays, which really is the only big obstacle.

All the major languages already run on all the important platforms.
All the important APIs are already ported.

Oh and the assembly guys … hahaha … THOSE guys are ■■■■■■. :smiley:
They’ll have to recode everything. :smiley:

2 Likes

LDA #$00
STA $D020
LDA #$01
STA D021

1 Like

Load Black into Border.
Load White into BackGround.

I looked it up.
I’m not actually versed in 6502 assembly, which is sad. :smiley:

Doctor, the nightmares are back ! :woozy_face:

I remember hand compiling Z80 assembler.

As I understand it, the issue of Apple moving to ARM has, from an Eve perspective, two issues:

• The client is compiled for i386/AMD64 architectures - ARM is very different, I doubt CCP want to get involved in the “compile for two architectures” game.
  • While Apple are implementing Rosetta 2 as an on the fly Intel->ARM translator I’ve no idea if Eve would run on it, or what the performance impacts of Rosetta are likely to be (“not as bad as you suspect” is normally the answer, especially if they get a performance improvement with their new silicon). The did something similar moving from PowerPC to Intel and there wasn’t much screaming in practice.

I suspect there isn’t going to be a problem.

Here we go again, the technology always changes.
LDDR - but you can optimise that further if you’re desperate.

We already had a Linux client once in the past. It was a windows client wrapped in a proprietary fork of wine (cedega, from back before wine was GPL). It was so bad that I removed it after two days (~2007) and just used regular wine which offered a much superior experience on Linux. They abandoned it a bit later because no one was using their inferior client.

The Mac client today is just a native launcher (which is also available natively for Linux, check the forum section) which integrates wine to run the windows version of the game.

I’m actually in favor of a well working wine solution than a poor, barely supported port.

Linux is the future of gaming, but it’s still a while until we are fully there :smiley:

Keep in mind this is not just ARM, it is “Apple Silicon”, custom.

People have been saying that for a while now. It’s like “Surely the NEXT ATI drivers will solve all problems” and “EVE is dying”.

And none of those things come true anyway.

1 Like