[ARC] 48 hours after initial exploration, what we know of the Abyss

Or simply for the Triglavian Collective?

4 Likes

it could be, i guess, but the symbol used by concord to designate them is not this one. vOv
it was only a large guess

1 Like

That was my thought, yeah. It’s the closest thing to regalia we’ve seen.

1 Like

CONCORD doesn’t get to decide what livery they choose to use.

1 Like

?
So are you suggesting that the logo of the triglavian’s faction in the neocom has been chosen by a triglavian representative?
same for the rogue drones?

1 Like

No. I’m saying specifically that it wasn’t. CONCORD chose a symbol to represent them in the neocom. That has absolutely nothing to do with what symbol, if any, they paint on the side of their own stuff to say ‘this is ours’.

2 Likes

yes but that also mean that concord must have scientist thinking about this kind of stuff. It’s only a supposition but if they choose another symbol than this one, it’s a fair bet that they decided that this symbole (the one on all their ship, gates) is less representative of the TC than the one they chose.

but once again, it was only a guess, your hypothesis is as valid as mine ^^

1 Like

The symbol CONCORD notes as the Triglavian Collective symbol is also present on survival gear that’s been recovered.

So, we don’t really have indication one way or another on the other symbol.

2 Likes

About the matter where the abyssal space is, I heard some reports of people who said they were incidentally spewed out from the abyssal filament, they found out they were deep in space, 300AU from nearby sun. I think abyssal space may be in ?different time? or on some other level, like ?multiverse?. :thinking:

2 Likes

do you still have the contact who lived this?
In my study about gravitational waves, it’s theorized that gravitational maelstrom are where the abyssal deadspace is.
If i can have those exact reports (or better, the witness) it could be a huge advancement.

1 Like

Another argument against the ‘gravitational maelstrom’ theory: subluminal movement of physical objects.

Put simply: Projectiles fired move in straight lines. Once you fire them, there’s nothing compensating for any ‘gravitational maelstrom’. If there’s a massive amount of gravitic ‘chaff’ or ‘white noise’ out there, they should be scattered to the winds more or less immediately. Missiles should be experiencing wildly different gravity on different parts of the missile as they move (and tear themselves apart). Ditto drones.

None of that is happening.

1 Like

that would only happen if the maelstrom were moving or not “fixed” (aka “popping” and “disappearing” regularly)

but it’s not the case, a gravitational maelstrom would not affect objects outside it . So the gravitational pull of a maelstrom would not affect drones, missiles ans ships more than a planet or moon would do…

When you are in a gravity well, all objects that you launch move INSIDE this well, so a missile for example would not be in space long enough to be affected visibly…

1 Like

A ‘maelstrom’ is a storm. A churning, moving mass. Inside a maelstrom is not uniform, and vastly different gravitational stresses would shear missiles apart instantly. Nor is it at all safe ‘in a gravity well’, as gravitational force increases the closer you are to the center. Depending on the amount of mass, and your position relative to the center, as little as 2m can be the difference between ‘unaffected’ and ‘spaghettified’.

1 Like

hummm…
yes? and that’s pretty obvious when you are inside AD. With 2 meter you pass from “stable bubble” to “crushing your ship in a matter of seconds”.
my answers was speaking of the OUTSIDE of a maelstrom, not the inside.
and for the “outside” part of the theory, well, there is really no problem with subliminal movement there.
once again, at a cosmological level, gravitation is a pretty weak force. So a missile or a drone would not be affected on a visible level.

gravitational maelstrom are a reality, they have been theorized years ago, and proved by math calculation by professor Mayer, I grant you that they were never observed before, but they exist and the real question that was in suspense was if those maelstrom could harbour other things than a “soup” of matter.

and from all reports we have of AD, the answer is yes.

1 Like

If you’re claiming the ‘gravitational maelstrom’ is destroying probes and wrecks, then you’re inside it where you’re firing missiles. Because that’s where the wrecks would be, too, remember?

If you, and your missiles, are outside the maelstrom, then so are the wrecks.

1 Like

mea culpa, I thought you were talking about the effect on the outside of a maelstrom.

For the wrecks, it was only a supposition, but It must be something else because our own wreck is there and visible.

1 Like

So-- actually responding to this because it’s a concern shared by some people who aren’t the prophets of their own horrible religions. This isn’t really an official ARC response, mind.

The Triglavians, and the Abyss, and actually I think maybe even the filaments and why Abyss diving works the way it does, are all a mystery. CONCORD seems to regard them as a threat, which probably has something to do with their apparent ability to face the Drifters as equals and probably also their little tendency to attack on sight.

(Admittedly everything in the Abyss seems to do that.)

Anyway, we basically don’t know anything about them, and, as with the Drifters, we kind of need to find out. It seems like the only way to learn is via violent incursions.

There are a couple very strange qualities to these raids. It’s been observed that there’s a sort of ritual quality to them-- three phases, each in its own Abyssal pocket, forming a triangle. Each one’s kind of like a trial by combat, a test, a proving. It’s definitely not the straightforward massacre capsuleer wetwork assignments usually end up being. There are some hints, like the materials on the Vedmak-class cruiser, that the Triglavians favor testing new ideas or technologies through warfare.

As a thought, it might be that we’re presently “proving” that we’re worth talking to.

4 Likes

to add to this, it’s also apparent that the Triglavian are not as united as the drifter seem to be.
Diplomacy can always come latter.

2 Likes

A further thing learned:

“Dark” filaments seem to share a quality that the problem isn’t so much staying alive as being able to finish and escape before the warp field collapses. Enemies fight under the same conditions we do-- reduced turret range and increased speed. Because signature-boosting phenomena like luminous clouds aren’t dependably present and weapon-suppressing units such as “Ghosting Damavik” combined with cross-repping are pretty common deeper in, precision weapons such as rapid light missile launchers are probably a necessity despite their obvious troubles bringing down large targets.

HAMs worked really well to start, but even with high-end training and good (though not top-of-the-line) implants I’ve repeatedly had to take doses of combat-grade Crash just to survive when a Fierce encounter has gone bad or to get through a Raging filament at all. Experimenting with alternatives. RLMLs seem promising, though I really hate their reload time.

Edited to add:

I’m noticing a sort of overall pattern in the filaments: large, hardened enemies are trouble, of course, but the Abyss’s most sincere efforts to find your weakness and kill you are generally the support units.

4 Likes

That’s been my experience as well. My order of targeting is: Neuts, Webs, Weapon Disruptors, Battleships, Else.

1 Like