[ARC] Semiosis

Funny that they all in space controlled by Amarr Empire

It’s only three so far. Each one is in a different region: The Bleak Lands, Derelik, and Domain.

Right now people are attempting to draw conclusions from a sample size of three. Tell me they’re all in Amarr space when we’ve got thirty, or three hundred.

Three is a sample size so small as to effectively be zero.

There are roughly 5000 star systems in “K Space.” Amarr accounts for roughly 600. Choosing an Amarrian system randomly three times in a row: .12 * .12 * .12 = .001728.

Pretty good for the first three completely random picks.

1 Like

Yea I agree it’s far fetched yet so far it’s been a survey of different type of star each time I’d wager they’ll be surveying next in systems with different star types.Which raises a question.Are there any rare or extremely rare types of stars in New Eden would stars that went through violent events count like Seyllin?

We still don’t know where their domain is in relation to our own star map it could very well be near Amarr space

Look, it’s fun to kind of ‘blue sky’ this stuff and just toss out ‘it could be X’ type ideas. But place no stock in them—there just isn’t that much data yet. And don’t look for patterns. If you go looking for patterns, you will find patterns. Doesn’t matter if you’re looking at engineering tables or pure random static, you will find patterns. It’s how our brains work.

So don’t look for patterns. Just see what’s there. See the actual data. You know what happens when you go looking for patterns?

Oh! Look! They’re all in a straight line, First, then Second, then Third.
Except they’re not.
Oh! Two are equidistant from the third!
Except they’re not.
They’re all in Amarr space!
Except they’re not.

As you say, ‘Amarr’ sovereignty accounts for 605 systems. One of these three, Gamis, is part of ‘greater Amarr’, but it’s in the Mandate. It’s not ‘Amarr sov’ as CONCORD tracks it.

See what’s there, rather than looking for patterns.

Would you like to try and calculate your own odds, toots, or would you like to just keep shooting off your ■■■■■■■ mouth?

Concord doesn’t decide what the Collective views as sovereign of Amarr or not I simply stated the Ammatar Mandate is under Amarr ruling so it’s easy for outsiders to view it as under their control

Calculate my own odds of what? After all, it must be significant that one of them’s in the Mandate, right? Amarr sov is 6x the size of the Mandate, so why didn’t we have 6 hits from Amarr before we had one from the Mandate?!?!? IT MUST MEAN SOMETHING!!!

Only… we have no idea if it has to mean anything. We don’t have enough information to speculate on what they’re looking for, or even what direction they’re looking from. If this is them looking from dead center? Maybe it does mean something. But if they’re looking for whatever they’re looking for from say, somewhere in Genesis? Then maybe they’re just looking at one cone of the sky at a time, and you gotta start somewhere, so of course they’d all be grouped roughly together.

We don’t know. We don’t have nearly enough information to start guessing. And without that information, we don’t know what the odds are of ‘those’ systems. We don’t know enough to even know what questions we don’t know to ask.

You’ve put forward a proposition, doll. The stars were chosen at random to “check up on how they progressed” in a few thousand years. There are 5,000 stars to pick from. Come up with the odds that three different star classifications that closely grouped were chosen at random. Go for it. Maybe call in some help.

You very much misunderstand what I was saying, then. And that’s on me, I clearly wasn’t clear enough in my meaning. I was not putting that forth as a hypothetical explanation. I was putting it forward as a refutation of your binary choice: line or perimeter. We don’t know, and it doesn’t need to be either.

Could it be a line? Doubtful, since we’ve already demonstrated the thing goes in two non-parallel directions from Hatori. Could it be a curve? Sure, it’s possible. Could it be a boundary or perimeter? It’s possible. But a fourth data point won’t tell us that. It could be all sorts of things.

It could just be a complex curve. It could be an old jumpgate route. It could just be them working off a list of places their ancestors went on holiday, for all we know.

Because we don’t know. We don’t have enough data. We would need a lot more information before we can begin to even build the sort of image of context that would be needed to understand motivations. Maybe these are stars whose Iso-5 measurements were well-recorded. Maybe they’re stars within a particular range of luminosity. Maybe they’ve got a particular rotational period. Maybe they’re at a specific distance from their binary partners—all systems with gates have them, after all. Hell, maybe they all have a specific type of binary.

We don’t have enough data to even begin speculating. We don’t have enough of a sample size to draw meaningful statistical comparisons. We don’t have enough here to narrow down our range of questions from ‘ok, so… what the hell?’ to actual, workable questions that can be tackled.

That is fair enough. It does not have to be a line or a perimeter.

And let’s keep in mind: just because Hatori was the first one we saw… doesn’t mean it was first. It was just the first to come through to Semiotics after we started getting them. For all we know, they’re 70% done with a complete survey of the 5,000+ binary systems of New Eden that have jump gates.

1 Like

We should not assign much weight to the order we receive the transmissions. It might theoretically be possible to use the time the capsuleers that appear were active as a sequencing code, but I doubt the capsuleers remember anything - and it would only work for transmissions with capsuleers anyway.

I think it is necessary to somehow find a system with a star of type A0. Such systems exist and they are signed as A0 star, but their luminosity class is different. It confuses me a little.
For example: Endrulf in Minmatar (I found her thanks to the tip above)
Many stars of this kind rotate quickly and the class is known for strong hydrogen and ionized metal lines in stellar spectroscopy.

I personally this we should at least map out an Area of Influence between all the stars we’ve seen.

I was thinking this as well, so I tried a handful of Calm and Agitated Firestorm rifts in Hatori. Entered them at various points throughout the system, including near the star. There was nothing out of the ordinary inside any of them. The Calm Firestorm near the Star did have a planet in the background (last pocket) but after asking around it does seem that planets have been sighted before in Abyssal Deadspace, so it’s probably nothing.

That planet has been there since the beginning. From the 10th of June last year. Dropping a message container in.

Without geo-referencing, I found a star ( Astabih, Fovihi - Derelik, B0 - F6 VI, V) with the following description: This luminous blue star belongs to a class known for powerful stellar winds and rapid rotation. These stars generate most of their energy at the center of their mass in a thermonuclear fusion process involving a carbon-nitrogen-oxygen (CNO) catalytic cycle.

Stars of this type generally show strong non-ionized helium lines and some have a chemistry that results in very strong lines, leading to the designation ‘helium-strong’.

It turns out that the conditions are more suitable - В0

The planet may well be important in its own right, particularly if it really is the same planet every time.

As to the stars being picked in our space, however, it seems like any relationship would be through its own star. Are the Triglavians looking for a new home? Unfortunately, it is a challenge to learn much about that star at the moment. It appears to be yellowish above, but I believe I have also seen it as white. It doesn’t look like a giant, but how far away is it, etc.