[ARC] Semiosis

As Anninen mentioned previously, it very much looks as though it’s something to weaponize a sun which was my concern when we first received the survey data.

The only other thing I could possibly imagine that being used for, which is more unlikely at this point, is three of those being used as a giant abyssal gate.

Regardless, I think I’m going to go assume worst case scenario and try to get some supplies and transport ships ready. Just because.

Actually I just thought of something. Where would their destination even be, if they were bringing that ship to New Eden with an already in-use star powering it?

2 Likes

The name of the ship is an ancient legend about the hidden city. The Invisible Town.

Judging by the history, it could be the Talocans who were invaded by those whom we know as Drifter. And they went to the Abyss.

Apparently this is a military analogue of the citadel.

I found a star ( Astabih, Fovihi - Derelik, B0 - F6 VI, V) with the following description
Stars of this type generally show strong non-ionized helium lines and some have a chemistry that results in very strong lines, leading to the designation ‘helium-strong’. It turns out that the conditions are more suitable - В0

Well in order to guess their destination we need to know what they want to achieve.

Do they need a new home? Are they trying to take the fight to the Drifter hives? Or maybe they feel like stomping over capsuleers because we invaded their personal space one too many times.

2 Likes

Porevitium wouldseem to me to mean “surface cohesion” the way it’s measured in stability. Like a containment field. Pore being small surface holes, and Vitium being blemishes.
Kind-of makes me think of the stars’ surfaces, a measurement of “sunspots” perhaps?

The old “we are declaring war on you, and showing you just how screwed you are when we’re done preparing?” At least they gave us time to sit around and not get ready if that were the case.

I think I need to go have some tea or… something.

Am I the only one who got an image in my mind of a Dreadnought entering Siege Mode… except it was this Super-Titanic monstrosity?

I just hope we can figure out where this thing will be emerging from the Abyss. Even if it’s targeting the Drifters… we need eyes on this thing when it goes into action.

2 Likes

The audio is some version of the “We are the Zorya” at different speeds. It is painful. There may be new information in it somewhere, but ouch.

1 Like

As others have said, that looks more like engineering reports.

Power conduits
Singularity power source.
Entropic weapons systems.
Station-keeping thrusters or maybe warp drive.

What I’m thinking is: There’s been a kind of ‘is it a ship or a station? Can those really be engines?’ A lot of the ‘it’s a station’ thinking comes because Uriel’s size comparisons use our modern titans. The original round of titans and the Emperor Ship were on the scale of the worldships. So this looks about right for those.

From what we know of the Talocan, Second Empire Jovians attacking them would be about like a gnat attacking a titan.

I have a feeling we’ll know where it… they? show up.

6 Likes

Increasingly, my take is ‘why not both?’ so far the station-vs-ship question is concerned. It’s certainly large enough to fill the role of a station even if it’s mobile, after all.

9 Likes

Indeed… If they want to send ships into New Eden or Anoikis (I’m assuming New Eden, since the Xordazh isn’t going to fit through a wormhole of any size we’ve seen), they’ll need a forward operating base. Preferably something that can move if it’s in serious danger, and since the Abyss can be accessed from anywhere in New Eden, that’s not an issue. So… a mobile forward operating base.

I think we’re looking at it.

6 Likes

One has to wonder, what kind of focusing key it would take to open a passage into the abyss large enough for a full station! Maybe they have some way of using multiple keys at once? Do you really think they’ll land in New Eden?

I think New Eden’s Jump-Gate network makes it more easily traversible than Anoikis, so if they’re going anywhere, this is the better place to go.

Forgive me, I was thinking of the New Eden system.

2 Likes

Looking at the ship and what we know of it, it is being prepped so it makes its own gates. From what we can glean it may be that the Triglavians live on ‘the other side of Anoikis’ for want of a better term.

Maybe not “The other side”… but a different side, nonetheless. Adjacent to New Eden and Anoikis both, in some ways.

It does not become particularly intelligible, but here is a pass at the audio:

Pass At Xordazh Reveal Audio
(have volume setting at something moderate)

It has been slowed and equalized up the yan jung in an attempt to make listening to it not so awful. Warning: it is still painful.

“We are the Zorya collective” is pretty clear. There is also the line about “we are the emanations of” … but the clades sound a bit different.

Some of the sections sound reversed, but when I reversed them it wasn’t any clearer. I suspect that different segments are also at slightly different speeds.

There is a normal speed speech about “of honor and” … stuff. The slowing and equalizing obliterated that. I think we have two transmissions that have been garbled together. The “of honor” speech does not sound like a Zoryan Accent to me. If anything, it sounds like a Hethian Accent. Is Sansha rallying the troops? For some inexplicable reason, I am unable to type Sansha with the “h” anymore.

Addendum: cancel “emanations” - I was projecting off “we are.” Yaaar attuned my ear more to “looking for.” I believe at 1:00 we get “we are looking for the…” and some noise which my subjective bias makes “star of all…” or “start of alll…”

3 Likes

Also been having issues with trying to clean up the noise and isolate any vocal audio, though this is something I have no experience with.

I feel like my ears will give out if I try at this any longer though.

1 Like

Sadly, this isn’t the sort of audio engineering where my experience lies. I’m curious to see what’s revealed when someone manages to clean things better, though. “We are the emanations of”, by the way… I don’t hear it, but maybe that’s just me.

At around 17 seconds after audio clearing I managed to distinguish “Looking…for us” very clearly. I can link the cleaned up audio if you want to hear for yourself (Dropbox audio not working for some reason).

4 Likes

A bold effort, though apparently futile.