[ARC] Solicitation for Enclave Boarding Mission Parameters

I have tried in the only place I know of, the aratakas fluid router channel. I was banned

1 Like

There are many places where you can engage in conversation with other capsuleers, including those in ARC. Perhaps trying a different approach may garner results.

1 Like

I’ll see if I can dig up some old neocom shots of it. The facilities were clearly labeled on the overview, and were most certainly destroyed.

That said, as to the rest, well. You are of course perfectly welcome to think that ARC’s operations are the equal to those of the Amarr Empire, and that I’m important enough for the Drifters, of all things, to want to assassinate. Honestly, it’s quite a compliment!

But I maintain an active cloning contract, so if the Drifters were to attempt an assassination of me it would just confirm that either we’re doing some harm to them, or we’re doing something that might net significant results.

In any case, it’s a hell of a thing.

That said, I think this element of the topic is concluded. Let’s get back to mission parameters.

4 Likes

Can you tell me where?

1 Like

I never said it would be you. It could be specific civilian targets this time. You are playing with fire

1 Like

Oh, well, for starters, they are often on the various comms routers. I know some are attending a party I’m having next week…

1 Like

Well go ahead and call me a monster for fighting for humanity.

1 Like

@Corraidhin_Farsaidh;
You’ve been solicited for technical details.

@Vlad_Cetes;
You’ve been solicited for technical details.

@Templar_Thal_Vadam;
Your expertise would be greatly appreciated. If you could contact me directly, I’m sure we can work something out. Could you perhaps forward contact details for invitation to the ARC Galnet comms system?

@Mizhir;
I’d like you on determining if there’s an effective, reliable, non-psychosis-inducing way to convert baseliner research personnel to the incremental mindstate transfer technology. We may also have more work for you to do once we start bringing in salvage.

Also, how are you on neuroinformatics?

@Morgana_Tsukiyo;
I see I have mail! I’ll review that and get back to you.

As to the rest, ARC of course values the many strongly-held opinions that have been offered here on what ARC should and should not do in the pursuit of its objectives. Your input has been noted. Thank you for your time, and best of luck pursuing your objectives and ideals.

7 Likes

@Makoto_Priano Response provided, feel free to get back to me if this interests you.

1 Like

Neurophysiology is my primary field so I would say that I know a fair amount about neuroinformatics.

I will look into it. Considering the complexity of the subject and the issues that has surfaced before, we have to be really careful with the mindstate transfer technology. My initial suggestion is to base it on the softcloning tech.

1 Like

See now, this kind of blind justification gets into some pretty dangerous territory. After all, it’s not that far from ‘we’re doing it to save your souls’, now is it?

2 Likes

Templar Vadam is a good man, for an imperial.

I’m kidding of course, for old times sake. I’ve fought both against and alongside him in the past and can vouch personally for his credibility. Just remember Thal, should you ever face questionable working standards feel free to drop us a message at any time.

As far as the ongoing ethical questions posted in this thread as much as I would love to banter and poke a few people over all this on all sides, frankly I have never given the Drifters much thought. To ground personnel they have always seemed more like an existential issue than a tangible one, with very few of us having any actual firsthand accounts or experiences of them. Our understanding is even more limited than that of capsuleers, but in my extremely limited and good for nothing opinion even if the Drifters are cognisant and “human” on the same level we are, incursions like this on their hives is just asking for trouble. I think the recent attacks on the SOCT sites are proof of that in some regard.

In addition, I think it is very important that the question be posed if there is anything comparable to the equivalent of a “civilian” in drifter society. Unless that question is suitably answered and provisions taken to limit the effect on them, then types of raids would be a clear violation of the Bosena Accords (and hopefully by extension most warclones) code of ethics.

Personally I am more inclined to see them as a bastardization of what happens when you take augmentation and modification too far, but it is important to have a code of ethics regardless of your opinion on the mechanical roaches. I am certain these are all things you have considered in the past however, and welcome the chance to be enlightened on the subject.

2 Likes

Winds, grant me a stupid enemy.

2 Likes

You have my blessing to offer your expertise. Consider it approved!

2 Likes

I must ask – does this mean you believe that the Society of Conscious Thought provoked the Drifters in some way?

As to the latter part on civilians, I’ll need to respond to that following a meeting.

1 Like

Any form of agitation on our part could lead to further attacks from Drifters, regardless of faction. I can’t claim to know the exact motivations of these attacks, and it likely has something to do with the deep connection and ties the Society of Conscious Thought with the Jove Empire before it went (assumedly) extinct. Or it could have something to do with the Society’s recent commitment to supporting capsuleers, who have been the largest perpetrator of attacks against the Drifters other than possibly the Trigs at this point.

My point is targeted attacks like this against the Society must have some reasoning behind it, and if they are capable of this level of reciprocity I’d strongly advise against “poking the bear” without careful consideration of what their motives may have been.

I appreciate the fact that you are willing to actually take the time to consider this question rather than just giving an answer on the spot. It shows maturity and the right kind of discretion needed in this kind of work.

1 Like

I eagerly await the Drifter invasion of Rage. We’ve certainly earned it by this point I’d have thought.

I’m of the opinion that the Drifter forces are working very much from their own playbook, and any attempt of ours to apply motivations to their actions are pretty much futile.

As long as they refuse to talk to us all we have is guesswork.

3 Likes

Kalaratiri’s post gets to the heart of it, to be honest. Either the Vigilant Tyrannos can differentiate between Capsuleers, and ARC’s operations won’t endanger anyone but ARC; or, the Vigilant Tyrannos can’t differentiate between Capsuleers, and organizations like Lazerhawks and Hard Knocks or the hundreds of other wormhole-inhabiting corporations, alliances and coalitions are already doing more damage than ARC could ever dream of, and provoking more of a response than ARC ever could. Essentially, unless those who espouse diplomacy and peace manage to encourage Capsuleers to voluntarily evacuate wormhole space, ARC’s operations won’t change the calculus for the Vigilant Tyrannos.

As proud as I am of ARC’s accomplishments and our outsized visibility, ARC remains very small fry on the cluster stage.

That said, it remains entertaining how willing pilots are to casually accept continued Drifter threat when, in the case of the Society, the Drifters are attacking what is essentially an educational institution with seemingly no provocation. While I don’t mean to make light of the situation, some of the hangar crew here have been running a betting pool on various things.

That said, on the matter of Sleeper civilians. Over two years ago, we published a report on Hive salvage. This report focused on those materials we could easily recover: cadavers, cryostasis equipment, and so on that were already in space. These were already in space, I mention, because the Drifters had cracked open those Sleeper enclaves and were harvesting the corpses. We simply don’t know if the facilities are operable in any capacity, and I don’t know if we’d ever see what looks like a ‘Sleeper’ walking around. After all, the Jove cadavers we retrieved all showed extensive degradation due to their centuries-long cryostasis, just as Drifter cadavers appear to be Jove cadavers with extensive additional cybernetic work to return them to a useable state. This is to say, the Sleeper enclaves in the Drifter Hive zones themselves have already been rendered inactive, and anything we can do is more akin to salvage retrieval than anything else.

At the same time, as came up at that point, there were some small portion of Jove cadavers that would have been viable, had their cryostasis equipment not been ripped from the enclaves. We were asked why we hadn’t simply pulled cryostasis pods from intact Enclaves, and Kybernetes Moros responded that there would be a non-zero chance we’d be essentially killing viable Jove clones. In relation to this operation, it stands that we will be able to avoid that fate by not interfering with any intact cryostasis equipment. After all, we’re not there for the Sleepers; we’re there to reconstruct their history, their research, and any other useful data we can retrieve.

So, that’s the short run. The sentiment is certainly fair, and ethical bounds on research are very nice things. Still, considering that we still can’t tell if the Drifters are even a society of sophonts instead of a rogue defense failsafe activated in the moldering mausoleum of wormhole space, and considering that the Drifters are even as we speak attacking the shipyards of an educational and research institution that seemingly didn’t provoke it, I can’t help not feeling a great deal of sympathy toward the Drifters.

4 Likes

So, before someone else says it, we don’t actually know whether or how they might have provoked it, ma’am.

On the other hand, we also don’t know that they were doing anything we’d consider bad. “If it provokes the Drifters, it’s bad,” would give us something of an answer but isn’t actually a very sophisticated way of looking at it. Something that could resolve the Drifter crisis has a high probability of provoking them, for example.

1 Like

Hence why the first reference to provocation is, “with seemingly no provocation.” I’ll edit the post to repeat the ‘seemingly’ portion.

1 Like