Arch Linux. Executable closes immediately upon opening

If you cannot get any EVE running then try to get the latest Wine version for your distro and try installing the Windows client of EVE.

If you’re lucky then all you need to do is to set Wine into “Windows XP”-mode via winecfg and can install it and run it from the default Windows launcher (you’ll have to go with DirectX9 when you want Anti-Aliasing as it doesn’t work under DirectX11/OpenGL for now).

Some distros may need to have corefonts and/or dotnet40 installed with winetricks in addition to this, but always try first without any extras.

Hmm i’m curious, why dotnet40 are needed by some distros. Corefonts are clear, if you dont have Arial or some equivalent fonts installed but dotnet?

Ah. I see. I dug into the bug report listed further up the feed. It looks like Wine was using undocumented behaviour at the time of the changeover from 2.7.1. That behaviour was removed from FreeType in 2.8 to bring it in alignment with it’s documentation, so Wine team had to fix how they were using FreeType. See here: https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?52097#comment1

Since 2.7 is off the table for me, I’m already on 2.9.1-r3, and it ended up being wine that needed fixing, I’m going to go with biting the bullet and compiling the newest Wine and re-install using the standard Windows executable. Will update for Gentoo users running into this when I get it working.

When you do this then there is a bonus for you. You can then get yourself the DXVK source and compile it, too. Then you’ll have the latest WINE and latest DXVK and can play EVE with DirectX11 over Vulkan.

@Whitehound - Whaaat?! mind blown :slight_smile: Well I can confirm that compiling the latest vanilla wine with the 32-bit support and installing with the normal windows installer worked like a charm. No more instacrash when trying to rotate the camera. I’ll save the DirectX11 for a later weekend project. Next, I’m just going to tweak my i3 config a bit so I can dual monitor EVE at a custom size so I’ll still have a thin top bar with my local time, ip, etc. :smiley: Back in business. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

The Vulkan-based implementation isn’t part of WINE yet, and probably won’t be, because everyone is just brewing their own thing right now. DXVK is a pure Windows DLL and runs under Windows, too. It maps DirectX11 calls to Vulkan. It does a good job, when it works and it’s notably faster than the current DX11/OpenGL implementation of WINE. It’s nearly as fast as DX9/OpenGL. Only for some games does DXVK not work, it crashes and hangs, and it requires certain combinations like No Screen Flipping and VSync On for it to play nice with Nvidia.

Still, I’m getting 60fps with DXVK and 2 clients and a GXT960, all settings at high. What’s really good about it is how little CPU it requires compared to OpenGL. When I minimize both clients does the CPU usage drop from 34% to 9%.

I’m looking forward to when the WINE devs start implementing it. They’re currently working on DX12/Vulkan for WINE. So DX11, DX10 and perhaps even DX9 over Vulkan may become an option in the future.

I had a similar issue with similar error messages on Ubuntu 18.04. I changed the wine version to wine-2.10-ccp-master-29 and it worked. I also checked my freetype version and it’s 2.8.1.

Can confirm that this issue is solved by running wine-2.10-ccp-master-29 with freetype pinned downgrade to 2.8-0.2ubuntu2.1 from artful. The 2.8.1-2ubuntu2 that ships with bionic won’t work and crashes when attempting to ship spin or take any action involving clicking in space or on a ship.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.