Arena

People would say that if 10% of the players would like this idea this has to be enough reason for ccp to do it…

As i said…times change and minorities,the loudest minority normally,decide what is done.

1 Like

Ah yes, the classic care bear argument, EVE needs to modernize, modernize being code words for “safe and cozy”.

1 Like

To be fair, he’s actually very much correct in that regard. The gaming market has shifted from difficult/competitive games to microtransactional reward simulators over the past decade or so.

There is no one market, that is the original myth going back to the UO EQ rivalry.

But the bears want to have it all for themselves, thus the one market myth.

One market may be bigger, but with the billions of potential customers in the world, it hardly matters.

Burn what? T1 cruiser hulls?

It’s such a small drop in the bucket, it can’t even be measured compared to the whole.

Or alternatively, pushing implant prices so high, that no one except ISK-injecting arena grinders will be able to afford them.

1 Like

I sometimes wonder if I am speaking to an active Eve player, in those cruiser ones I saw an 11bn Caracal get blown up.

Which is why I mentioned that it was designed to burn through ISK and assets that had been built up over a period of plenty, it is certainly what my Mentor felt and explained in a lot of detail. You did not fully read or try understand my post which is often a warning sign of an intent to troll.

1 Like

No, the players rocking 11-figure fits are a tiny minority. This is not up for discussion.

Also, the gear being burned this way (pirate implants and deadspace items) are already rare, and don’t need increased demand. And ISK isn’t burned at all.

The 1v1 cruiser arenas had a high barrier to entry in fitting requirements - unlike a direct-access 1v1 filament would. These are not equivalent comparisons.

You posted what the opinion of your mentor is. Key there being opinion. There is no evidence one way or the other to back this up. Could it be a factor in CCP’s design? Absolutely. Is it the only reason? Doubtful. CCP has an entire separate Economy team working on spending down resources, and while they may be assisting the content design effort, it is unlikely that Invasion content is being primarily driven by this consideration.

More likely, based on the current gaming market, the arenas are meant to expand the appeal of EVE to a wider market so that more people are drawn to EVE. As such, making it a widely appealing feature is in everyones’ best interests. Thus, the suggestions in this thread to avoid spending development time on an arena iteration that would be unlikely to support that objective.

Such certainty.

It was his opinion, he said it was also unlikely that it was the full story.

This made no sense at all to me so I ignored it.

You just told me something that I had already mentioned, but if it makes you feel good go with it.

1 Like

Does anyone have any actual numbers for how many ppl are using this feature? If it’s just a couple hundred, who cares? :roll_eyes:

Yup. Around nine. But that’s enough to enrage a certain group of permanently angry people who don’t play the game any more but also can’t quit the forum.

1 Like

There are right about 2,000 active arena pilots.

1 Like

What are we getting next, battlegrounds? Capture the flag? How about space alterac valley.

Yes. All of them. And then some. I’d bet my bottom dollar on it.

1 Like

What do you think the numbers will drop to once the “uniqueness” wears off?

Just from the quick analysis I’ve performed from the killboard data, it looks like a hefty chunk of the participants are “power players,” running large amounts of matches to work their way up the board. Very few players without established combat histories, or with very small ones. Looks like the average cost of a destroyer in the current circuit is about 24,000,000 ISK. Average pod cost is approaching 10,000 ISK (that is, empty), with differences mainly due to outliers.

If I had to predict the future, I’d say that as long as CCP offers unique rewards for competing, I’d expect a few hundred of the power players to keep doing these. The players who aren’t committed will drop off in number until their incidence of participation is almost zero, mainly consisting of players trying it out for the first time.

I don’t see more than a few hundred players taking part in arenas in a few weeks. But better rewards and more interesting formats could very well change that. Two conclusions stand out right now, however:

1. Arenas have a fairly low economic impact
  2. Carebears are not participating

Edit: keep in mind that when I say there’s 2,000 active arena pilots, I don’t mean 2,000 in arena matches at any given time, but 2,000 who tried arenas at least once.

Why can’t we all just be friends and give ourselves cuddles in the FFA?

That was my apx guess from the start.

I knew that. :wink:

Thanks for the info! I have no interest in it, but that’s just me. I still don’t see as such a big deal though.

You Sir have come to the wrong game!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cuddling is the answer to everything. I cuddle people with my guns c: