Arena

I do not disagree that players have varied ‘best experiences’. Objectively, scenarios that deliver a higher rate of best experiences are superior for game development investments to those that deliver fewer best experiences - more happy customers is universally better than fewer happy customers when all other things are equal. Thus, again, the best experience as a whole is the one that gives the most players a reason to come back for more.

CCP has committed to a rotation of arena styles. No single arena will appeal to everyone who is inclined to engage in arenas in the first place. But a 1v1 direct-filament arena doesn’t appeal to any of the ‘best experience’ examples you provided:
‘Fair fights’ - random is not fair; there is no balance of skill, fit costs, etc.
‘Expensive ships’ - There is no fit that is universally best. More ISK doesn’t improve the meta of the 1v1 direct-filament arena.
‘Group play’ - not possible in a 1v1 arena

Note that this is completely separate from the prior 1v1 cruiser arenas, which, due to the PvE segment that gated access, had a real meta to design around - removing the utterly random nature of potential fits. The cruiser arena required certain minimum viable elements in fit design to survive PvE, restricting the potential options for viable fits to make it to the PvP engagement. A completely different kettle of fish from the proposed 1v1 arena suggested here.

1 Like

yes but i dont care
fw has the plex meta , the arena meta will be just onother meta
i will continue in the FW as is my principal font of isk atm , as i said before i don’t like the arena idea
stanced pvp and shi%$
but if arenas continue i would much like to have cruiser 1x1 or frigate 1x1 to have some fun
and i used to watch a youtuber that did cruiser 1v1 on abyssal filaments and it was kinda cool to me

“the basis for my position is completely factually different from the topic discussion at hand, but I don’t care”

lol, never change, EVE Online official forums

when you can dscan and tell what ships you’ll fight against in one of these Abyssal arenas, come back and make your argument again. until then, your position has no ground.

1 Like

I disagree that having more best experiences is better than having a few best experiences. It entirely depends on the kind of experiences you’re comparing.

Example: Giving everyone in the game 1000.000 ISK vs giving newbies a new ship after they died for the first time.

The first option impacts everyone and the last option only a few, but for the game as a whole it’s better to cater to newbies than it is to inflate the game with an amount of ISK that is barely worth anything to most veteran players.

You’re better than this.

i dont care just mean I’m aware but the point she made is not important to me
i dont care for the motives she is giving
i will probably like arenas 1x1
ot you think you know better than me what i would like ?

edit : because

edit 2: @Scoots_Choco don’t be dishonest in your argument kido

People can like objectively flawed things. Doesn’t make them any less flawed.

And minority support for a flawed feature won’t give arenas the impact CCP seeks.

I’ve got it! The solution for 1v1 arenas! Prepare yourself:

A new filament that randomly teleports your frigate to a plex.

Cruiser 1v1 arenas has a completely different access mechanic than these proposed 1v1 frigate arenas. This is not a relevant comparison.

I agree that it would be great to have the old 1v1 cruiser arenas back, as there were clearly many players actively engaged in them, and skill was required to be successful. Luck played a PART, but was not the lion’s share of the chance to win any given match.

2 Likes

yes but he was cherry picking a quote wen i fact i give the motives on why i don’t care for your original argument
i can be wrong but he was dishonest in the quoting

1 Like

I don’t think he was dishonest. And you aren’t wrong in liking the concept of arenas; just wrong in equating them to your current solo PvP.

The argument here is specifically that 1 vs. 1 arenas are a very flawed concept. It’s a sound argument.

but i don’t like arenas
i just think if they will be a thing because of ccp i would like to have cruiser and frigate 1x1

But if you don’t like them, why would you like them? I’m confused.

Your example is a poor comparison, and you know it.

Arenas already do not appeal to a large portion of the player base, for a number of reasons (not PvP oriented, object to instanced content, etc). So whatever formats are deployed need to appeal to as many of the arena-interested players as possible, not just to go in once, but to repeatedly engage in them.

Scoots already described what is most likely to happen in a 1v1 arena format. That’s not going to keep drawing most players in over and over - a few will dedicate themselves to grinding out wins just to claim the leaderboard rewards, but those wins won’t be due to skill.

1 Like

im against them Im principle , eve shouldn’t have stanced content im principle imho
but since eve HAS stanced content i think cruiser/destroyer/frigate 1x1 will be my favorite
if ccp close all arenas i would not miss them because it is a thing i would do sporadically

edit:
like I’m in jita selling shi# , bored , do a 1x1 filament , this to me would be best case scenario of this arenas

That’s the crux of the matter, isn’t it?

Maybe we should do a poll to see what people actually think about the presence of arenas in this game, instead of throwing poop at each other in the forums.

1 Like

i think most of old school players hate the concept in principle
but as i said before o don’t think people will migrate from old pvp to arenas , nor the care bears who professed that now they will do it because its “fair”
it will be a niche thing/novelty imo

and will be due to what?
i can see in a 4 players FFA luck is the principal factor
3 dudes shoot you , you are dead , mr invisible in the cornet won
but 1v1 ? its skill , in fit in execution , ofc there is some luck in the mach ups but , the more consistent you are the more you will win …
and people tend to say O BUT bling ships and drugs and implants , will always beat cheaper ships
but thats the pirate dilemma , i died a lot with cheap ships but wen i win i can get biiiiiig loot

The wins will be due to luck. Rock / paper / scissors will decide the day, not a player’s fitting knowledge or piloting skills. Scoots already addressed this.

1 Like

i disagree

Please explain what you disagree with and why.