Avatar Gameplay Polls and Discussion - WiS & Beyond

I’m not the topic, you can’t stay on topic?

“Avatar Gameplay Polls and Discussion

I’m discussing the discussion, which is completely on-topic.

2 Likes

Got it, translates to you are wrong and have to resort to tactics rather than discuss the actual topic.

No, Saltfoamer, it translates to: your question’s been answered multiple times over and you just ignore it to keep heaping on the negativity. You are clearly not actually trying to discuss the matter in good faith, you are just looking for ways to keep whining and taking a crap all over any idea at all that gets floated.

3 Likes
  1. I’m not the one playing childish name games, trying to be a jerk
  2. You answered nothing, you did not come up with one viable activity to do that has anything to do with EVE.

I’m done with you, post whatever troll response you want.

• “SaltFoamer”

Calm down, Salt.

Without a doubt, CCP is watching the topic and they are weighting every argument and suggestion posted here. If they decide to work on avatars, they will do it in a way that doesn’t mess with the current gameplay. So everyone can be happy - the hardcore spaceship fans will fly the spaceships, while the avatar fans will play with the avatars and all this can be done without wasting resources and neglecting spaceships in favor of avatars.

It is clear that there are two major leagues here - Spaceships Only Supporters and Avatar Gameplay Supporters. I am sure that CCP will listen to both. So chill.

2 Likes

I’m glad you pointed that out. I hope he leaves the discussion. Wasn’t helping at all and seemed to be arguing for the sake of arguing.

What is that, you have a whole thread and have still not been able to name one single activity that would have to do with EVE AND not be duplicated.

Unnecessary attempt to make someone seem upset. Seen you do that in other posts. Don’t be a troll in your own thread :rofl:

It is very much alive and kicking. Stay informed.

3 Likes

Ugh. So this thread has managed to devolve into “NO U”. Which is too bad.

Not, mind you, because I like the idea of avatar gameplay. I hate it. As pretty as Eve is, I’m absolutely one of the people who would revel in a text-only interface.

My concern with avatar play, whether it’s walking in stations or something else, is that either:

1. There are gameplay options that are not accessible outside of the new interface, limiting what I can do if I don’t want to engage with it – and I don’t, or;
  2. Everything accessible through avatar play can be accomplished without avatars, in which case it seems like an awfully large developer load for little to no benefit to the existing game.

Is there a middle ground between those two options that for whatever reason I’m missing?

If there’s not, then the only way I can support avatar play is if someone can make a compelling argument that enough people want it as an option that it drives additional subscribers (or at least sales of some sort). If there really is such pent up demand for seeing space dudes walk around space stations that it translates to subscriptions – enough subscriptions to recoup the cost of the project – then… sure, I guess?

I have very serious doubts about that level of ROI. (I also have doubts about whether CCP can accurately gauge that ROI, but that’s a tangential issue.)

tl;dr

I don’t want to be forced into avatar play, and so I don’t want anything gated behind it. However, I don’t see avatar play that doesn’t gate content as inherently worthwhile. Convince me otherwise.

2 Likes

Yup, there is nothing unique to do and there never can be without pissing off the people who don’t want to do WiS.

Pointless waste, especially considering it already failed once.

How about a sweatshop simulator where repetitive avatar gameplay produces clothes for elite space barbies?

1 Like

So the station would have a room with Competition Sewing Machines? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

There have been some concepts thrown out, but it’s not clear how they would work. Going from ship to avatar, combat, tools, inventory, environment, death, progression…

Starting from scratch with an fps like nova, fine. I can imagine how that may work from other fps games or dust. But no one has really begun to explain how the avatar gameplay and eves spaceships are supposed to be one game.

1 Like

Just like Nova is a separate game at this point, the same approach can be applied to the rest of the avatar gameplay. Starting small, adding core features, supported by player feedback, then gradually making connections between the spaceship experience and the avatar gameplay - one affecting the other, but still keeping the option to either be in a space ship or with your avatar and not needing to play what you don’t want to play.

Example:

In space a spaceship pilot scans a special cosmic signature. Turns out to be a Sansha outpost that can be boarded by Nova troopers. The pilot then sends the finding to a mission database, receives a reward and he is done. In the meantime the Nova troopers receive the coordinates of the outpost and are sent to board it. The Nova players board the outpost and fight the NPC’s in a co-op match. Upon completion they receive rewards in ISK and loot. Then they can sell the loot via an interconnected market between EVE and Nova.

Stuff like that. Once more features are interconnected, the two separate games can be merged. That will be a slow and tricky process, but totally viable.

1 Like

Flashback Dust Bunnies :wink:

We’ve heard this before.

Have we? Have you?

Anyone else seen something like this in DUST? There were orbital strikes and they worked, people were extremely excited about them, no matter how tricky the execution was. And they would love to see them again. But nothing like this example above have been made in DUST. If you keep generalizing things like that, you may as well say that EVE and Elite Dangerous are the same games.

1 Like

That was not even WiS based, it was ship based.

That’s essentially two different games. Avatars teleporting between fights, never connecting with a capsuleer except via chat. No physical interaction between the two states. This is similar to how dust worked and affected faction warfare. It wasn’t popular because dust took the power away from capsuleers. One side could be dominating in space but were held back by a modifier linked to dust players that weren’t doing very well. Orbital bombardments were not good in practice either. They seemed cool for a short while, but in reality was just dessies warping to planets and pressing f1. Rinse and repeat.

Fortunately those last two parts shouldn’t be an issue in your scenario, but then you have to ask, how fun is it going to be that avatars are having little impact on the greater game? How long before they demand more influence? And then we’re back to faction warfare.

Also leaves some questions. What you describe is players affecting the market (part of eves open world sandbox) but not actually being part of the universe as such.

How does an avatar move from dodi to jita to sell his stuff? How does an avatar buy a new gun and go and pick it up? How does anyone intercept that? How do we put non-consensual pvp risk into their game? How do i hunt down an avatar, even as another avatar?

The rewards will crash like abyssal space if they can be farmed like it with no risk.

This is why i have such a hard time imagining them being the same game.

I can probably sit down and think of these things, but I am not a game developer and I have RL to sort out. I hope some ideas can pop out in the discussion so these problems can be addressed. I still believe it can be done. If we want something like that to be created, there surely is a way.