Backstage Lore Wiki

Okay, I’m just gonna post this here and in the other thread to make sure as many people see this as possible.

In light of both Evelopedia’s shutdown in 2016 and EvE-Inspiracy going on the blink, I have recently concluded that us lore nerds must begin considering the not-so-insignificant issue of redundancy.

As things stand, we could lose nearly everything if Inspiracy went offline completely or suffered a hardware failure, and we’ll still suffer a blow if CCP suddenly decides to take down their fiction portal for whatever reason. I doubt that the latter will actually happen, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Thankfully there are multiple sites that we could use to back up the information, which I will list below.

• EVE Wikia: Yes, it’s a Wikia/Fandom page, but that also makes it easy to transcribe the lore information and citations for it. Since it’s not UniWiki we also don’t need to worry about listing the technical details of stats or mechanics, and can thus catalog things that were removed from the game without confusing anyone.

• UniWiki: The EVE University Wiki may focus on teaching gameplay mechanics, but it does have a lore section that’s been sorely neglected and in need of expanding. Since it’s also the first wiki to pop up when I search for “EvE Online wiki” in my browser, I think it’s also safe to say that this is the first wiki many players will come across when they go looking for one.

• EVE-Wiki.net: Considering that you need to dig to find this site when browsing I wouldn’t be surprised if few people know it exists; but it does, and it’s been online since the heady days of 2005, which (possibly) makes it the oldest EvE Online wiki in use today. Unfortunately, what I’ve seen of the place indicates that it really needs to be updated. Hopefully, we can work on that.

• Backstage Lore Wiki: Yeah, yeah, I know I was talking about backups in case this site failed, but it’s still a good resource that needs to be worked on, especially with so many pages that need to be deleted and restored so the site doesn’t tell you the page “does not exist”.

One primary site and three alternatives mean that we can achieve a level of redundancy that would protect us from severe loss of information should Inspiracy or the fiction portal go down, so long as we’re all willing to work on it together.

If and when you decide to help me with this, please remember to use citations when you add content and don’t remove something that lacks a citation unless it’s blatantly false. There are some things on the other wikis that are old or unverified, but that doesn’t mean they should be deleted outright.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.