Bad guys bombed my Atron in Low Sec!

Can i sue them if i find out their real life names?
:wink:

You can. Whether or not you will win is another question.

1 Like

Only under Texas law.

2 Likes

You need a good space lawyer.

2 Likes

For the total value of your loss.

Which is 0

Of course not. Youā€™re supposed to rage and whine incessantly about the terrible injustice of someone PvPā€™ing you in a PvP area of a PvP game, followed by rage-quitting Eve (but staying on the forums so you can keep complaining about a game you no longer even play).

6 Likes

I recommend you get Internet detective Ripart Teg on the case right away!

5 Likes

Those low sec griefers!

2 Likes

Isnā€™t that what insurance is for?

1 Like

So I actually am an attorney, and I LOVE thinking about this from a legal perspective. I actually think you probably COULD make an argument for establishing damages in EvE, although I think it would ultimately be unsuccessful due to the restrictions on RMT activities.

Even if you could prove damages, you have no cognizable theory for the suit in the first place. Since conversion/assault/battery/etc. are explicitly allowed and expected within the framework of the game, thereā€™s no way to establish any sort of tort theory of recovery. You implicitly (maybe explicitlyā€“Iā€™ve not read through all of EvEā€™s TOS) consent to those activities by logging in.

Still really cool. I think it would be awesome to apply my legal knowledge to EvE, but with the lack of any real written legal structure thereā€™s not much for me to do :frowning:

It would take Babatunde B Babatunde himself to win such a tricky case, and I believe he is retired.

3 Likes

Why do you think EVE is a PvP game?

You could start by reading the EULA where it says that all ingame items are the property of CCP and not the player.

But anyway, how much $ would it cost Op to get his 20k (or something) ISK back?

2 Likes

Classic :rofl:

1 Like

Indeed, and if I were actually trying to argue a case, thatā€™s literally the first thing I would read.

As to your second question, for the sake of argument, letā€™s assume weā€™re talking about something that could actually happen. The first step would be determining the real money value of the ISK at the time of the ā€œinjury.ā€ Generally court fees alone are going to be between $100-$500, so there would be no reason to pursue anything worth less than that.

Otherwise, I donā€™t really know. Iā€™m not a tort lawyer, so I canā€™t speak to their fee structure. Many tort lawyers work on a contingency basis, so they get a percentage of the damages recovered.

Hate when that happens.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.