Battleship Frigate Escape Bay - salvaging frigate

Putting a salvaging frigate in my L4 mission battleship, eject to it and salvage when done clearing a room seems like a great idea.

With the huge exception that someone can simply board my battleship while i am salvaging. this basically kills this idea. which sucks, because it seems like a great option.

any way around it?

i guess i can low range dscan, and thats about it. but any other ideas are appreciated.

1 Like

Target the empty ship.

9 Likes

Well, if you use an MTU, youā€™ll be able to stay right next to the BS, and can hop right back in if someone shows up.

Of course, I havenā€™t played with the mechanic, so I donā€™t know if you can ā€œdockā€ or ā€œundockā€ your frig from your BS, or if it only ejects like a capsule when the BS is destroyed. Does anyone know?

Wait, what does that do? Does that prevent the ship from being boarded?

Yes.

5 char minimum post

3 Likes

I didnā€™t know that.

I finally found a reason why I donā€™t like the Frigate Bay.

This used to be a player profession.

Yes, actually it used to be my profession.

But where thereā€™s a ninje, thereā€™s a whinge as they say.

However, how far do you think a bumped heron might go?

Or better yet, the BS

Of course, I hope these new users also have their Salvaging Permits.

Hate that Heron to get ganked now.

2 Likes

Addendum, you can always board your own ship despite this mechanic,
as long as you dont have weapons timer

3 Likes

Are you not able to use salvage drones? I pop out 5 of them after every L4, EC, or whatever and clear the field pretty fast. It can be a little tedious to target every salvage and direct each drone, but itā€™s still pretty quick.

1 Like

Why on earth would you do that?

Release and hit salvage, leave them to it.

1 Like

Because they only target the nearest wreck and all gangbang the same one if left to their own devices. If you target 5 of them manually, you clear the field of wrecks a whole lot faster. Nothing else to do while waiting, so thatā€™s what I do.

I would love it if they would change it so the drones wonā€™t all target the same wreck unless told to, but it is what it is.

1 Like

Just orbit your MTU. Your salvage drones will start to select different individual wrecks because youā€™ll be closer to different wrecks when orbiting.

5 Likes

If only there were a class of ship that allowed you to fit tractor beams and salvagers to do it manually

We could call them marauders maybe

3 Likes

If they are 5 drones on the same target and itā€™s salvaged, 4 of them will have moved to the target and made the salvage cycle for nothing.

1 Like

The targeting trick will not work.
One player ganks frigate and capsule, another boards blingy faction bs just after that.

You really are daft

And?

What?

thatā€™s an answer to

If you are on the grid with the mtu, itā€™s really much faster to make 5 rows of wrecks, and put each drone on a different wreck.

1 Like

Itā€™s a bad idea. Two main reasons:

• itā€™s ineffective;
  • someone can steal your BS even in h-sec l4 mission sites.

How? Itā€™s risky at ungated mission sites. Everybody in an Astero, at least, can probe your BS very fast and easy and warp there at 0 while cloaked. And who is faster - wins.

Fly a Typhoon and name it ā€˜Wrecked Battleshipā€™ or ā€˜Space Debrisā€™ and no one will even notice it.

(PS: donā€™t let the salvage drones get too close to it, though)

1 Like