Bei ArtJay

About me as a player

I like eve most when it is hard mode. I started out in eve as many do, mining in highsec belts. I very quickly made the leap to mining in lowsec and wormhole space and here I learned that internet spaceships are just tools for me in a complex game of chess. I have had many adventures in eve, learning to survive and prosper in many different play styles from nullsec warfare, to lowsec, to wormhole space, small gang, fleet warfare, piracy, trade, and tournaments, I’m happy to embrace all play styles at least once.

Not long after I started playing I watched an Alliance Tournament stream (ATVII) and was instantly hooked. I took part in my first tournament with Brick Squad years ago and have since taken part in pretty much every CCP tournament thereafter and had successes and a lot of fun with both Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork & The Tuskers.

More recently I have been heavily involved in organising tournaments, through the organisation run by close friend Nashh Kadavr and myself, EVE_NT. I have organised and executed four 64 player tournaments at EVE_NT Nottingham, 6 online seasons (Collides, Fight Club EVE_NT Championship), 2 weekend cups and a bunch of other one off events in which hundreds of players have taken part, both as competitors and volunteers. For the first weekend of Alliance Tournament last year and two weekends this year I was producer and creative director of the EVE_NT coverage which was fantastic fun and we received a lot of high praise for our efforts.

I have also been a big part of helping to organise the 5 Nottingham EVE_NT meetups through which I have met some fantastic people in the community - many who I keep in touch with. Attending and organising these events has really helped me appreciate that EVE is no longer just a computer game, but it is a portal through which a like minded group of people share their lives, from all places on the planet, and as a not-so-bittervet of 8+ years that is what I now appreciate most about the game.

Why am I running for CSM?

I started getting involved with tournaments at a time when CCP had reduced a lot of it’s budgets for community events and staff, and both NEO and the Alliance Tournament were on the chopping block.

My theory was that by stepping up and demonstrating a demand for tournaments that CCP management (via the community team) could justify putting time and resources into them - and thanks to the smooth talking of Nashh and hard work form volunteers this is what we achieved. CCP Logibro was super dedicated to supporting the tournament team and CCP Guard, Fozzie, Falcon and others have gone out of their way to support us as well.

With the recent restructuring of the community team I feel it is super important once again that players who can provide insight and energy step up and help keep our community going. CCP have given assurances that they want to continue to support both the tournament scene and out of game events, and I feel that it is important to have as many people on the CSM who can assist and advise CCP about where best to put their resources in this regard.

In addition to being a passionate community & tournament advocate I have a strong interest in games design and games theory, and would love the opportunity to help guide CCP’s development of Tranquility.

Why should you vote for me?

A big part of my life is constantly listening and working to improve the customer experience based on feedback from all levels, and I feel these skills give me a good understanding that the CSM is a critically important tool to help CCP to maintain and steer this fragile ecosystem of a game. I am a self-confessed eve junkie and read and listen to a wide variation of eve content to gather opinions of the player base on a regular basis, and (shock!) log in and play almost every day.

I feel that my work designing tournaments has given me great experience about how the developer/player relationship works, having to live in that neutral ground and survive with a foot in both camps and try and see each scenario from every perspective. I understand the difficulties of taking risks and pushing change in an established environment. As evidenced by my commitment to the projects I have worked on, once I commit I tend to throw everything I can at it, and like to do a job properly. If you vote for me as your CSM representative I will promise to do my best to work hard as a conduit between CCP and the playerbase.

If you would like my opinion on any given topic I’d be happy to take the time to discuss with you, post questions below or drop me a mail in-game.

You can find me on twitter and if you would like to find out more about me listen to Rixx Javix interview here. If you would like to hear what I am up to currently and some of my thoughts on current events I was recently a guest on the Decelerations of War podcast.

Some very flattering posts from my space-famous friends;

"Bei ArtJay is a fantastic bloke and he deserves your vote to be on the CSM.

Co-Ran the biggest and best eve UK meetup
Co-Ran and masterminded the EVE-NT/Plus 10 Gaming tournaments, rule sets.
Absolutely knows his stuff ingame. One of the most knowledgeable guys out there that has took part in a variety of playstyles from small gangs and high-end tournament play to taking sov and running a big alliance in a coalition.

He has brought joy to thousands of eve players and on the CSM he’d bring joy to many thousands more.

Good luck and I hope you get it!"
Suitonia

"Bei might shoot you in the ass whilst you’re downed in PUBG, but I don’t think anyone can dispute that Bei is someone who is willing to sit down and work for what he wants in EVE. EVE_NT is not a simple operation, and Bei has managed to steer it to the right place (and put the right people around him to ensure that) since day 1.

If Bei is willing to put that level of effort into the CSM, I can only see it being a massive positive for the CSM and the game as a whole. It’s a tough field this year already, with a lot of big names, personalities and straight up great candidates, but Bei is one I absolutely have faith in, and will be taking a place in my ballot, no matter what happens."
Jin’taan

“very capable and co-lead +10 gaming and eve_nt to greatness.”
rhiload Feron-drake

"I’m fortunate enough to have been voted on the CSM for two terms (CSM 6 & 7), and having been around for so long I know a thing or two about what it takes to be a successful CSM representative. Without a doubt, Bei’s got it. I’ve worked with him for almost 3 years now with Eve NT - a player-run group dedicated to tournament style PvP. It’s a niche even for Eve markets, and as such it requires a lot of work to get off the ground. In that timeframe, though, we went from being just a group of players having fun to being the first players to run the Alliance Tournament broadcast for the early rounds. While Bei has no bloc to push him through, he has proven himself through his work; that type of energy and gumption in the CSM is a massive improvement to an already strong body, and he is worth being on your ballot.

Though being on the CSM isn’t just about your work ethic, a factor that plays in is game knowledge. Not only does Bei know the game as good as anyone else, he also has the social connections through his community work to access nearly every aspect of the game. Being able to communicate with others outside your own spheres of influence is a significant aspect that’s often overlooked in the CSM.

tl;dr you should seriously consider including Bei Artjay on your ballot - he’s knowledgeable and has a proven track record of hard-work and excellence."
Elise Randolph

I have very high standards when advocating for someone to be on the CSM. I don’t throw out my support to anyone if I don’t think they are up to the level I expect of the best of the playerbase who I want interacting with CCP to have a deep connection with the development of the game. I will probably only endorse up to 5 people at a maximum this year.

That said, I am absolutely certain that Bei would be an extraordinary asset to the CSM and CCP as a CSM rep for the player-base. I have seen first hand the level of dedication,. hard work and passion Bei puts into the game, and even when we disagree on issues he is a person who can push for his standpoint without dismissing your own opinion or issues. He’s communicative, articulate and exactly the kind of person and player I want representing the interests of the EVE community in the bowels of CCP.

Bei will be #1 on each of my accounts votes.
Apothne

15 Likes

You have my votes if you can answer just one question: are we in jump range of Rorsins?

3 Likes

If elected President, would you be willing to organize a tournament where its only participants are bots? I’d love to find the smartest, most combat capable bots to run my empire!

Side note, Bei doesn’t like bots, only good wholesome organic capsuleers. You can tell he’s a very active participant in the game by observing all the Sabres he loses on a regular basis!

4 Likes

After being shotgunned in the ass in pubg by bei and also he took me under his command in various sucessful campains in drone regions. I can say he have a big heart and love all things eve. +1 from an old flyboi

2 Likes

chatted and worked with this man, and I’m stoked to see his campaign ad, it pushes me one step closer to my own decision on this.

+10 would vote for Bei

1 Like

+10 so much. He is a capable and friendy dude and I regret that I can only vote for him once

I’ve followed Bei through various dronelands sovtrolling operations and into Fountain, where my main finally parted corp as his latest playstyle was a bit too hardcore for me.

He’s a very good content provider, while also being good at listening and not a ragey prima donna. Tons of experience with the game, and overall nice guy.

You have my votes as well.

1 Like

very capable and co-lead +10 gaming and eve_nt to greatness.

1 Like

Bei ArtJay is a fantastic bloke and he deserves your vote to be on the CSM.

Co-Ran the biggest and best eve UK meetup
Co-Ran and masterminded the EVE-NT/Plus 10 Gaming tournaments, rule sets.
Absolutely knows his stuff ingame. One of the most knowledgeable guys out there that has took part in a variety of playstyles from small gangs and high-end tournament play to taking sov and running a big alliance in a coalition.

He has brought joy to thousands of eve players and on the CSM he’d bring joy to many thousands more.

Good luck and I hope you get it!

2 Likes

You’re in my bad books after you guys led us on than failed to form last night, but I appreciate the svilpul visit so maybe I can forgive you in time for the election.

Two questions for you:

In your view, should CCP work to make it easier for small groups like Unspoken and Ushra’Khan to make null sec their home, and what should be changed and stay the same to support that?

What changes to faction warfare would you push?

Who can forget that Nyx that almost die ? :smirk:

GL for CSM !

3 Likes

Ha, sorry it was a little early for me to form a fleet, if you could shift your vulnerable timezone back an hour that would be great!

Regarding your first question - I think this a great question and is a very important one. I think right now small entities have it as good as they ever have. The cost and functionality of Astrahaus and Fortizars are much better for the smaller org than poses and outposts, and current PVE options are varied enough to scratch a living. Ageis Sov is flexible enough such that if you find a neglected corner of eve getting an i-hub and a flag down is not too difficult if you are determined, so currently we have not got too much to complain about.

The biggest challenge in current systems is timerzone warfare, as many small entities are not multi-timezone, so attacking even a weakly defended spot in a timezone that is polar to your peak online count is very difficult, if not impossible. I think CCP should definitely consider this more deeply when balancing and designing for eve. Whilst the obvious thing to do is to balance for huge coalitions as their membership drives subscriptions and consequently the game, I think the roots of these systems need to be flexible enough such that any player can feel like they can engage with them regardless of who they fly with and when they log in, as it is these ground root opportunities that inspire many people to make the leap form other areas of eve into taking a piece of space to shape as their own.

If i was elected CSM I would be constantly reviewing mechanics form the perspective of the individual, and small gang perspective as I think it is equally important to the health of eve as the mechanics balanced for coalitions of thousands, I eagerly await the new structure mechanics to review and consider them in this regard.

Regarding your second question - to be honest Factional Warfare is something have I have never truly engaged in. I really love the concept of a forever war between factions in a controlled environment and it is something that you would think that someone who is fascinated by both structures and tournaments would love - however the mechanics of Faction Warfare have been a turnoff for me. I can’t speak to the detail of what needs changing, but from my perspective there needs to be much more option for creativity during attack and defense. I have enjoyed the recent ‘Cross Faction’ podcast which gives an insight into where the various groups involved are at. If I was on the CSM and CCP announced that they were re-developing Factional Warfare I would certainty commit some time to re-engaging with the mechanics and groups involved to probe for the current issues.

3 Likes

I can’t think of a more determined and dedicated player. Familiar with actions in WH, lowsec, null, small scale and large fleet action. Not to mention all that tournament experience too. Ever the diplomat and with experience of marshalling and negotiating at every level… I think you/he would ROCK and would keep CCP grounded whilst also listening to the players.

Respect Bei. You have my sword.

Bei might shoot you in the ass whilst you’re downed in PUBG, but I don’t think anyone can dispute that Bei is someone who is willing to sit down and work for what he wants in EVE. EVE_NT is not a simple operation, and Bei has managed to steer it to the right place (and put the right people around him to ensure that) since day 1.

If Bei is willing to put that level of effort into the CSM, I can only see it being a massive positive for the CSM and the game as a whole. It’s a tough field this year already, with a lot of big names, personalities and straight up great candidates, but Bei is one I absolutely have faith in, and will be taking a place in my ballot, no matter what happens.

1 Like

Does anybody remeber when the assult frigattes got reworked and were conssiderd somewhat op? Well eacy to forgett since fixing AF’s is prctically a meme at this point.

I however remeber this clearly because this was when I was in my first eve turnament, we were a few small wormhole groups that got invited to do 1v1’s in highsec with the new AF organiced and comentated by no other then mr. Bei Artjay himself. He even gave me the bennefit of the doubt that i might be bait tanking a second or two before my duall repp jag got hawked.

Trying to come up with what story to share, goining with one of my first memories of Bei made sense, and stay tuned, this spring for more storyies from the adventures of Bei and Frank #NoGutsNoGlory

Your credentials are impressive and you sound like the hands-on kind of guy the CSM needs. Apart from probably advocating for the further development of tournaments, what else can we expect from you once elected? What’s your vision of a “healthy” EVE Online?

Besides the above being a load of bollocks and proof that you have never tried to run one as a solo player or small corp, I’d love to hear why we should vote for someone who has practically zero interaction with these official forums and who hasn’t yet answered a question asked 12 days ago.

Hey. Sorry for not being as active as you would expect. I read more than I post for sure.

My corp currently has some Athanors, 1 Fortizar, 1 Astrahaus and 1 Refineiry - all of which are in hostile space/sov. There are 4 people in my corp and our alliance numbers under 200 characters. I personally do all of the maintenance and fuel all of the aforementioned structures. I also throw down bait structures to get fights fairly regularly. You can see evidence of me having run citadels as a small croup by checking my losses on zkill if you wanted to!

I’d like to think that is fairly good evidence that I have experience using current structures as a small group. From time-to time I run these deployments solo and have done 2 or 3 times since the new structure system was introduced.

Can you you explain why you disagree with my statement?

Hey. What exactly a ‘healthy’ eve online is a big question. To cut down an essay into a palatable response I think it is an EVE Online that is continually being developed and re-balanced whilst maintaining the core values that make it unique (single-shard, sandbox, non-consensual pvp, focus on spaceships in space). I think everyone has their own vision of which paths they would want developers to go down in terms of development and ‘Jesus features’ but as long as they don’t swerve too much and keep coming up with initiatives to attract new players it should remain healthy for a long time to come.

There are definitely areas of the game that could be supported better to make certain play styles more healthy and encourage new players to stick around. Faction Warfare is a good example of this.

I’m fortunate enough to have been voted on the CSM for two terms (CSM 6 & 7), and having been around for so long I know a thing or two about what it takes to be a successful CSM representative. Without a doubt, Bei’s got it. I’ve worked with him for almost 3 years now with Eve NT - a player-run group dedicated to tournament style PvP. It’s a niche even for Eve markets, and as such it requires a lot of work to get off the ground. In that timeframe, though, we went from being just a group of players having fun to being the first players to run the Alliance Tournament broadcast for the early rounds. While Bei has no bloc to push him through, he has proven himself through his work; that type of energy and gumption in the CSM is a massive improvement to an already strong body, and he is worth being on your ballot.

Though being on the CSM isn’t just about your work ethic, a factor that plays in is game knowledge. Not only does Bei know the game as good as anyone else, he also has the social connections through his community work to access nearly every aspect of the game. Being able to communicate with others outside your own spheres of influence is a significant aspect that’s often overlooked in the CSM.

tl;dr you should seriously consider including Bei Artjay on your ballot - he’s knowledgeable and has a proven track record of hard-work and excellence.

1 Like