Bigger is NOT Better... for EVE

yeah no one likes tidi battles, people take naps, pick kids up from school and come back and their dread guns were still cycling

As I understand things, a central theme to EvE online is the idea of risk vs reward. The greater the risk you took, the greater your reward. That is why the best resources are generally available in the most dangerous space, Null. Now, the point you seem to be making is that by making this design choice, CCP “herded” people into the “stalemate” and “boredom” you seem think were in now. I would argue simply, that CCP didn’t anticipate this, or at least it didn’t intend it to be this way. All CCP did was go with their philosophy of risk vs reward and then people made their own choices. I would say it is in people’s nature to amass power. You can only blame so much on CCP. At some point, you have to say that what we have now is the result of people’s actions.

I would also add that most of what your saying really only applies to some parts of Null. Now, correct me if I’m wrong on this, but as I understand things, most EvE players still primarily play in High-sec. Do you also see this as a result of CCP’s design? What about all the scammers in Jita. Did CCP intend for that to happen as well? What we have is a Sandbox that CCP made where people make their own choices, primarly based on the dynamic of risk vs reward. It could just as easily been the case that virtually everybody stayed in Hi-sec and almost nobody goes to Null. And if that happened, I could see someone like you saying, “CCP shouldn’t have herded everyone to hi-sec by making Null so dangerous.”

I saw someone say once that “EvE online reveals human nature.” What were seeing is just human nature playing out and I can tell you this…CCP did not design human nature…

Also, I think EvE’s small fleet battles are some of the most fun there is, when they happen. There is no design to them, you have to actually go and try to make it happen.

2 Likes

What made this worse, as its been pointed out, is that CCP encouraged it. I dont think it was intentional. I think they were trying to give small groups bigger tools so they could counter bigger groups with smaller tools. Thats great in theory…if you stop the bigger groups from having the bigger tools. I think in their head, CCP sort of had a machine gun VS pitch forks scenario but gave the peasants the ability to own machine guns as well.

I honestly think each time CCP tried to encourage groups to use smaller amounts space and have smaller groups in something similar to a feudal system. We see this with the infamous Fozzie Sov which was designed both to provide more skirmish warfare but also to allow smaller groups to attacks systems held by larger groups.

IHUBs were another part of this. So large alliances didnt need so many systems to support their members. Now one system that was upgraded could support dozens of miners and a couple plus dozen ratters.

Then we saw wormholes. Perfect for corps, in CCP’s eyes. But Jspace had none of the qualities of null. Sleepers were a pain to fight solo, no local meant constant spamming of d scan. If you didnt have a redundant system in place you could lose access to your WH and lost all your stuff( I still have a tower up in a WH i lost access too) , getting in and out was difficult. None of the rats had bounties so you had to depend solely on loot for income. Jspace could not be upgraded so it could only really support a small or maybe a medium active corp . So Jspace became nothing more than a few corps farming class 5 and 6 systems and everything else basically become travel conduits around eve. A waste of thousands of systems.

On every level CCP has failed to fracture Eve into fun warring factions. In most cases they will do something that is an attempt to create content and either not stick with it until it works or do something a few patches later that completely undermines any progress they have made.

The same thing that happened to Serenity is going to happen to Tranquility. The population has already peaked and been in a steady decline and they are trying to lure people to play with all the wrong content.

I left 3 years ago and came back about a month ago and Eve has not changed much. It is really stagnant for an MMO. And stagnant MMOs in the game industry today do not live long. There has been very little content added since i left and most of it is the same stuff different day. Oh look more rats that can 1 shot you, if you dont have a specially tanked ship. YAY! i havent seen that before.

CCP has its head buried in the sand in its own sandbox . It needs to wake up and start creating some content instead of hoping the blue donut creates content for it. This game use to win awards, now its just a sad mess of stagnant redundant game play in the same bloody sandbox we have been living in for a decade.

2 Likes

Well, we agree on the first point entirely. You’d have the blue donut with any size ships in null. And, overall, I either agree, or at least don’t disagree with most other sentiments you express. The only thing we disagree on is capships. However, even there, I don’t necessarily disagree that the rorqual might need tuning. Also, I don’t disagree that injectors were bad.

Look, honest question, no fooling;

What is fun about caps?

Bigger ist better. ever! What ist fun about automatic rifle, pumpgun, etc tetc. A slingshot will do? :wink:

I see your point but raise you…

Which is better fun to shoot, Automatic Rifle, or Artillery?
Hint: Artillery is awful, even if it makes a bigger boom.

It is all fun to shoot. One choice is better than none :wink:

Very true, which is why I like the fact theres lots of subcaps to collect and use :slight_smile:

Yes! Only the caps would be very dull too…

I like all ships. I’m doing scanning with T3, Abyss with 3xFrigs, small PvP Skirmishes with cheap frigs/destroyers etc. Ratting with 3xDominix or 1xHel if no hostiles are there. With the latter it is also of advantage if such a NPC Dread or Titan appears.

Yeah, thats just it, they are boring and slow and you need x y z and such to operate uuhhhh yaw.

Gimme an arbitrator and a handful of drones and Ill fit her out with meta I rip from the paws of dying rats n noobcorpses on Triglavian gates

Absolutely true. I don’t have a problem with cap ships being available. They should be. They’re interesting.

The problem is that cap ships essentially obsolete everything below them. They are balanced poorly. They lead to fewer battles, where the only things that really count are the number of Titans each side fields. They lead to hot-dropping caps/supers on small hunting or raiding forces, so very few raids occur.

The problem isn’t that capitals exist. The problem is that the whole mess works together to support this environment of endless grinding, farming, owning and holding your territory which is essentially unassailable, building more and bigger ships and recruiting more pilots into the biggest blue donuts so they can be even more over-defended.

Of the “large actions” that have occurred in the last 8 years, a good many of them have been caused, not by interesting battle strategy or border clashes, but by betrayal of an alliance from within. Which leads to a free-for-all as their enemies (and even allies) dive in to fight over the scraps of whoever got betrayed. (This isn’t a healthy situation for the game or community-building, by the way.)

This isn’t a dynamic, active war zone. This is superpowers playing MAD and Cold War, staring at each other across borders with forces they have no reason to deploy.

Caps/Supers don’t need to eliminated. They need to be balanced, they need rock/paper/scissors dynamics against other ship classes, they need to not be the all-in-one solution against everything smaller. And the SOV/combat mechanics need to be changed so that caps can actually be used to accomplish interesting things (and every other ship class as well)… rather than just be used as an N+1 hammer to drop on anyone who threatens the local farming operation.

1 Like

Well, it’s not quite like that with us. Because of the fagitude alone, smaller ships are currently used against bomber fleets (Harpy, Astero). The caps are only taken when the enemy undocks dreads or something bigger than bombers.
And even if they go on our caps (Supercarriers, Rorquals)

For normal hostiles (5-25 man fleets) normal subcaps are formed. (jackdaws etc)

The statement that caps are thrown on everything immediately is rarely true.

And if that’s the case, what you have you have. It is our place, not neutral territory, and invaders will be severely punished. There is no fairnes in the game, so why should there be fair at this point?

TLDR;

It doesn’t ■■■■■■■ matter what the people come with or what is dropped on them, they’re going to get their asses kicked when they move into bigger alliance blocks and are worth attacking. (2-5 man fleets are ignored at all)

The problem is rather, the roamer want to drill thick boards. Instead of picking targets they can also easy gank, they are looking for more ISK on their own killboard. That is the problem/wish they have.

If you know the hottdroppers then you can freely rat with myrmidons and dominix, because you know they drop only carriers. Why the hell is it like that if the carriers are supposedly so unbeatable? All BS.

PS: An example. Look at kills for Niddi. how much avg people need you to gank one carrier?
Seven or ten ships are enough. Is it not already well balanced?

3 Likes

No idea what you’re actually arguing here. No idea what ‘fagitude’ is, either. No idea where you got ‘the statement’ that ‘caps are thrown on everything immediately’. Nobody said smaller groups shouldn’t get their asses kicked when they enter larger group space. Nobody was talking about ganks, or saying that lone carriers are unbeatable.

Basically, it looks like you feel threatened here that your blue donut may become less safe, your caps less OP, and your farming might be interrupted by PvP if something changes. Not that you’ve ever PvP’d. Things are just that safe for you, I guess.

What you do isn’t relevant. What your group does isn’t relevant. What single carriers do isn’t relevant.

The discussion is about megablocs like the Imperium, fleets full of supercaps, the way Null Sov and blue donut farming contribute to very few interesting battles taking place (few is relative - in a game the size of EVE, it can mean hundreds per day). It’s about 3x as much production happening as destruction. It’s about a game so boring in most areas that fewer people bother with it every year.

Feel free to jump back to the top of the thread and learn what it’s about, then try to come back with something closer to on-topic.

2 Likes

No idea what you’re actually arguing here.

The best proof of how many PvP and how many PvE do.

And I’m not complaining about anything. You do, because blue donuts, blah blah blah and other empty phrases.

I don’t give a ■■■■ what gets changed when, I adapt to everything. You, on the other hand, apparently not. Then who is one of us carebear and trash.

just ■■■■ off like nicolai like to say.

PS: Production vs destruction.

Many players stop for a while. New players join the game. I am such a new player. Of course I have a positive balance, because I still need a lot of things.

If it were up to you, should I have nothing and stay at 0 ISK and 0 ships if we followed the rule production = destruction?

The others are hoarding PLEX as if there were no tomorrow. So what? So what’s the problem? Why does the balance have to be balanced?

not really. But now they certainly are. CCP doubled their prices and halved their HP. Because of highsec whiners

And yes, bigger is better. All those big ships is what made me want to play eve in the first place. Now as im getting into them they’re all being nerfed to hell.

Tons of people i know have complained that they’re just not interested in flying frigates around the game.

I used to love flying my carrier in POS bashes. Say what you want about POS mechanics, at least they did provide fun capital fights.

2 Likes

And yet you came back to play it … or are you just hre to whine about a game you don’t play? if so, ■■■■ off!

Does it matter? You aren’t forced to fly them. So if you don’t think they are fun, don’t fly them. But don’t spoil them for the rest of us.

Honestly, if I was the guy calling the shots, they’d be a WHOLE LOT more fun. The capship haters on this forum and elsewhere make sure that capships aren’t any fun to fly, and they automatically veto any suggestions and attempts whatsoever to make them more fun

Yes it does.

Id like to understand your love of them, so Im actually wanting to know what makes them more enjoyable than cruisers for example.

Battleships are not enjoyable, an I found Caps similar.

There is no need to be hostile.

I wasn’t being hostile at all. If you thought so, it was purely in your head. I answered that way because I really do think it doesn’t matter “what is fun” about caps. To me it’s an immaterial question. I personally don’t know what’s fun about gay sex (and I don’t want to know), but to somebody out there, it’s apparently fun.

Personally, I’ve always had a hatred of small ships, and a love of big ships. As a kid, if you asked me if I wanted to be the captain of a 10 foot little fishing boat with 5hp outboard motor, or an enormous steel battleship, I would have easily chosen the latter. As an adult, I saw everybody gravitating to all the ‘rice burners’ buzzing around with their 4-cylinder engines and high-pitched chainsaw noises, and I laughed. I drove my big V-8 muscle car with the low rumbling dual exhaust and was proud and happy to do so. I once took a course to get a CDL, not because I wanted to be a trucker (I’m not, and don’t want to be), but simply because I wanted to sit in a ‘big rig’ and drive one. And drive one I did, at least for a short time while taking the course.

It’s just a matter of taste. Now, as to the mechanics of capships, yeah, you are right. The capship haters have made sure they are not a joy to fly. In a lot of cases, they don’t even fly at all. For instance, a dreadnought has to SIEGE and STOP FLYING in order to be ‘flown.’ You are forced to become an F1 monkey even as a lone pilot in order to use one. And when I suggested (you can find the old post) that we remove the siege mechanic so that we aren’t forced to be F1 monkeys, but replace it with some other mechanic that STILL prevents the ship from warping off for X number of minutes, the capship haters howled in protest here, because God forbid a capship is made more enjoyable to fly.

But this ‘unfun to fly capships’ is not the fault of capships. It’s the fault of capship haters who want them unfun to fly, nerfed to oblivion, and removed from the game. So what do I find fun about them? At this point, since the capship haters make sure they are unfun to fly, I guess I simply enjoy the ‘pure concept’ of them and nothing more. Again, if I had my way, and if I were in charge, they’d be great. But since I’m not in charge, I just sit in them and use my imagination.

2 Likes