Bitter Vets versus Better Vets

Sticks and stones my break my bones but words will never hurt :laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

When people start talking about “block lists,” they need to provide the actual lists so that the right people are able to know that they should feel very bad about being blocked.

1 Like

People just need thicker skin.

1 Like

Someone help me! I am being victimized by someone who is systemically oppressing me based on the thickness of my skin!

3 Likes

CCP obsoleted the Skiff with the Mackinaw’s new tank, made the Procurer unusable with the reduction of the mid-slots, made the PVP focused barge and exhumer into a literal sitting duck with the agility nerfs, and in general just showed that they cannot design properly by completely overthrowing design principles behind the barges and exhumers.

Fixing a completely bogus issue that they ignored despite user feedback before they implemented it is a positive thing now? Oh dear.

They pretty much tell you to clean up the belt and waste your time doing so. In the past you would at least get the minerals and could flood the markets with them, now you don’t get almost anything for the same time invested.

Which brings me to an interesting tid-bit: They know that certain minerals are in oversupply because of poor ore composition of rocks. Instead of fixing that (to date at least because they still have not talked about their dynamic distribution), they now make you clean up their mess and spend your gametime doing so. Is this really a positive thing for you?

The excav mining yield was never the issue. The ability to parallelize the Rorquals was, and CCP only fixed this by making the Rorqual a sitting duck that cannot recover the immense cost of the ship and equipment and necessary mining fleet to actually mine.

As said, none of this is positive in any way. It’s all just more frustration, more tedium, more clicks for less enjoyment. But as said before: rose-tinted irreclaimables.

REDNES

2 Likes

That’s switching the goalpost.

Or maybe I missed that post where we switched from “bitter vets are the victim of CCP changes” to “what do I mean when talking about victims in Eve”.

Âż {citation needed} ??

Here you make a very big jump from one thing to another.

It’s a mental disorder. People who are at loss because of the actions of another person ARE victims, it’s not “victim mentality”. People ganked , or oppressed, ARE victims. That’s the goal of ganking, or oppression, harassment, etc. What you are doing is victim blaming. Just because it’s normal to kill people in Eve does not mean there is no victim.

What we can say, is that justice in Eve is not a god-given right. That is, that a victim may not be able to gain retribution, and that is what makes Eve fun and different from RL.

If someone tackles me in a game of football (or whatever similar games are called where you live), or punches me in the octagon, or takes my chess piece, am I also a victim?

There is no judgement conveyed with the term victim. Only the notion of

1. being at loss
  2. being on the receiving end. Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans - Wikipedia

You are considering the term victims as it is used in the civil judgement, that is which requires the action of legal violence in order to maintain the trust in society.
But we are in a video game, in which there does not need to be a trial, to define a victim.

1 Like

So is that a yes?

It is a “it depends” . If you are in the context of a trial, then it is not. If you are in the context of the game, then it is. Switching the context (AKA goalpost) is not an honest way to discuss.

We are in the context of a video game, not in the context of eg football where there can be actual real life legal actions .

Took 7 years for this turd here. :)))))

Don’t quote me on this, but I’m pretty sure that everyone signs waivers to excuse player liability for anything that happens within the course of normal gameplay (obviously someone assaulting someone else on the field wouldn’t count).

Anyway, okay, so now we know that it’s possible to be a victim as an effect of normal, sanctioned activities in any game or sport. This is good to know.

However, this isn’t something we’ve ever talked about or focused on here. The presence of targeted/systemic oppression is not the moving of goal posts, but rather has always been the topic being discussed whenever someone mentioned being a victim or having a victim mentality in EVE. It seems to just be a matter of incorrect labeling.

So this bit right here:

I now agree that people who are ganked are victims. However, I don’t agree that anyone in EVE is oppressed.

@Shipwreck_Jones your better vet description as good as description of toxic positivism :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am well aware and that is a change I seriously hope CCP reconsiders.

The capital indy changes were good. Caps needed to be separated from sup-caps in terms of indy. The changes at first proved to require too many materials and CCP is slowly reducing that.

You don’t have to mine the “trash” rocks. Its now an option to where if you want your anomaly to respawn faster you can clear out the “trash” rocks much quicker now using a C-type crystal.
The over supply might be something that gets changed in the future. Prosperity is still in the infant stages. We don’t know what all is coming yet.

Rorqual drone mining has always been an issue. The nerf CCP gave the rorqual this roll around honestly was not that large. Using the T2 core the drone bonus went from 500% to 300%. It is still the king at mining unless it is boosting hulks. Just now it is no longer the most efficient way to mine. Still extremely powerful at mining and it still has its very powerful invulnerability module (panic button).

Overall there is going to be a net increase in ore yield. Smaller fries will be able to compete with the almighty rorqual, and cap build prices should start to come down some.
Is it perfect? No. Does there need to be more change? Yes, but it is in the right direction.

2 Likes

Precisely my point.

{citation needed}

I don’t even know if someone has already claimed to have a victim mentality ?

People can have the feeling that people are harassing them, and I have had proof (with boards containing the details from the people conducting the actions) that voluntary harassment, with the goal to drive new players out of the game, was actually an existing practice.

Well I know as a fact that people have been trying to make it so. I knew RL people who were german neonazis and play the video game with racism oppression in mind, insulting african people (“they have lower IQ than european”, “they deserved to be slaves” etc.), and trying to drive them off the game.

So some people are victim of targeted harassment for a racist ideology. I don’t know how it is now, I heard CCP is more used to ban. But I think you have no idea about what is oppression in Eve, how it can be expressed, and how a new player does not feel the game the same way a vet does.

Players claim to be oppressed (e.g. by gankers, or by CCP trying to “grief miners out of the game”), but when players speak about victim mentality (in the oppression sense of the term), they are usually referring to others, which is expected since I doubt anyone would want to claim to have a victim mentality.

If it’s something outside of/not allowed by EVE’s rules, yes, I agree, it could be oppression. But since it’s not allowed, this is something that is policed. What I’m talking about here is someone feeling “oppressed” just because someone destroyed their ship (for whatever reason) in a legitimate manner. That sort of oppression doesn’t actually exist.

Report → ban. Very cut-and-dry example.

New players are obligated to play by the same rules that everyone else does. If they think that they are oppressed by other players who, for example, blow them up in a gate camp, they are doing so in error.

Oppression needs legitimacy. Otherwise you can claim to be oppressed by pretty much anything. You could say that if I don’t send you ten billion ISK right now, I’m oppressing you. Which is something that Karens in coffee shops do, by the way, having witnessed how one was claiming that she was being oppressed and demanded her entire order to be free because her name was misspelled on the cup.

3 Likes

Well… I see this thread is going as expected.

As for change, I view it with resignation when CCP ignores positive feedback early on to belatedly discover the earlier critics were more-or-less right.

1 Like

It seems that if I get a speeding ticket I lost something and am thus a victim. Cool, can I collect victim points?

Im a Vet Biter

Oh wait no, thats just my dog.

6 Likes

Dude, learn what oppression is. Seriously. Oppression requires to exist a victim, AND a fallacious reason (your systematic). That’s why victim blaming is a part of oppression.

So people who decide to kill miners, for example, ARE doing oppression. Just as much as people who are gate camping, or killing AFK ishtars. And just like, if the player is victim of repeated aggression ingame, it is harassment. But this kind of harassment, and oppression, are allowed.

The only issue I see, is that people bear the false beleaf that oppression and harassment are forbidden gameplays in Eve. They are only forbidden when they attack the player ; but they are otherwise exactly as allowed as in any other war game.

(except in starter systems, epic , and if they specifically follow one player among systems - but in reality CCP does no care about that last one)

Very cute. With screenshots of the forum boards, no message from CCP, no action taken. With multiple report for racist speech, same. You are naive.