Black-on-black is hurting my brain

I still miss player-selected primary and secondary window colors, possible 10 years ago via RGB color sliders. The new-player-friendly (I admit that they are!) predefined color themes are all shades of eyestrain-inducing darkness. All I’m asking for is a 3rd, 10-20% brighter choice in each of the color groups, especially the background color against which most window text is seen.

The UI has improved in many ways since then, but window elements, separation between functional areas and controls (on any window when it had focus) was clear and consistent across window settings popups and applets.

UI designers wouldn’t have to consult window usage metrics and choose which settings window or applet should have exposed minimize/close buttons, if ALL of them have the controls. I don’t like fishing into the vertical three dots menu for basic features like minimize & close.

Here are some annotated examples of brighter, lower contrast (not white text against 100% black) color schemes I used in 2012:

2012.03.03.05.44.05 annotated window elements

In the example below, the edit box we can type in is clearly marked, and any window in focus has exposed control buttons.
2012.03.08.08.01.59 blue-gray color scheme via RGB sliders

6 Likes