TL;DR = read below the dotted line
I quit playing Eve three years ago and one of the most glaring changes is… the lack of change to the big fat blue donut. Its like i stepped away for a month not 36 months. Eve is stagnant. Gameplay is stagnant. Eve is being consolidated down into larger and fewer power blocs. Serenity V2.0 coming to a server near you!
The struggle to fix the blue donut so it becomes more diverse is a tough one. Any mechanic you introduce into the game can be manipulated by the same people it was meant to break up and used to their advantage. We saw this with Fozzie sov and system upgrades.
The part that is worse though is that gameplay has become more and more stagnant. The " content creators" are creating the same tired ass content they have been for over a decade only with less diversity than before. Null has become carebear central and the big hole in the donut is mostly void of life.
What if we caused a little chaos in New Eden?
What if every 8 to 12 weeks we “rearranged” New Eden randomly?
Brief Backstory: The ( bad guys of your choice) manage to infect the “public” gate network with a virus. The vulnerability it exploits in the system requires gates to be at least X distance apart for the virus to be effective. The purpose of the virus is to cause the gates to “jump” to a different gate. This is to sew chaos across New Eden and make the capsuleers and empire factions both more vulnerable.
Once it reroutes gate connections the virus goes dormant and hides for 2-3 months and then spreads and repeats.
- Initial release: 20% of the constellation/region gate pairs( randomly selected by an algorithm) will be assigned new “partners” for a while. So as an example:
- The Efa (Khanid) gate will no longer go to 3-FKCZ (Querious).
- Efa might instead go to NIF-JE in Cache
- 3-FKCZ might then go EF-F36 In Syndicate.
- The gates that EF-F36 and NIF-JE were paired with originally will also have new partner gates( possible to be each other)
- Every 2 or 3 months after that ( i prefer 2 months), two things happen:
- Every gate that swapped partners has a 50% chance of reconnecting to its original partner. Each “round” that is not connected to its original partner this chance is increased by 10%.
- Every single constellation/region gate pair has a 20% chance of randomly swapping to another constellation gate.
- Player gates and Jump drives are not affected by this. Just because a delve gate connects to pure blind doesnt mean you can single jump your capital ship across eve. It would have to take the same route it has always had to take.
This could lead to some very interesting scenarios and bring loads of content to the game.
One of the more creative scenarios this could spawn is something like:
PA-VE3 pocket in Period Basis( Goons) connected to FB5U-I in The Kalevala Expanse ( Pandemic Horde). That could lead to these two constellations becoming hotzones for pvp action in a sort of Arena style setup.
Another possible scenario would be one in which two pipe gates connect in these regions. That means that Horde could roam goon space without having to traverse Eve to get there and vice versa. It also means that each would need to protect their normally safe spaces from potentially large organized gangs or even full on subcap fleet invasions.
If an invasion did happen, they might lose their “supply line” at the next gate flip and end up with stranded assets and a difficult time reinforcing their beach head.
It might spice things up sort of like Needlejack but on a bigger scale and not just pvp focused. People could explore parts of Eve they never considered exploring because it was to many jumps.