Burner Angel Transport Mission Question

Recently I started trying out fits for Burner missions, just to see if I could do them. (Last time I gave up after failing multiple times, but I simply played some other games until the frustration was gone, and now I’m back hammering my head against the wall.)

So, in this mission, four really fast frigates attack you and you can have medium-sized ships to combat them. My first attempt was to just overwhelm them with massive missile DPS. But my HAM-Sacrilege then taught me that being fast is an excellent tank against missiles (I made almost zero damage.)

With my next few attempts, I tried to refine the concept to try and crack those little buggers using only missiles. Multiple webs, changing the main weapon to rapid lights, nothing really worked.

The weirdest thing happened after pinning down one of the Dramiels of the mission with a whopping three webs: The damage of my RLMs suddenly shot way up and I thought: “This is it”, then a couple hits later the damage dropped by 75% and I did almost nothing again. This looks like a bug to me, or is there something I’m overlooking here? Did CCP simply make those NPCs invulnerable against missiles, or are even three webs not enough?

It’s even stranger that the high DPS showed up when the Dramiel was closing in, which normally should mean they’re even fast then when they orbit, right?

Normally it’s fun trying to solve this kind of puzzles, but when the game suddenly changes the rules, that fun dies fast.

1 Like

I really hope you try them on the test server.

speed is only one aspect of the missile damage formula, sig radius is also very important when calculating missile damage, and the dramiels have a very small sig radius. Your inital missiles probably did more damage because at the start of the fight the Drams use mwds to fly at you very quickly, and the MWD increased the sig radius and thus damage more than the speed reduced it.

Vigilant is probably your best option, with 2-3 90% webs it can do pretty much max blaster damage with void.

2 Likes

I kind of wish there wasn’t a test server.

Yes of course! (The first time I tried Burners taught me that, after losing a couple very expensive pirate frigates I said to myself: “I should do this on the test server instead.”)

Oops, forgot about sig radius. Let’s try this again with two webs + target painter, ha ha

And I know the Vigilant and other similar ships would be better, but then I wouldn’t crack their tanks with missiles, which is what I’m trying to do here. :grinning:

Why? Without a test server, I sure as hell wouldn’t even try drilling through the stone walls of Burner missions. Do you not want people to run this content?

Well, if you REALLY want to use missiles:

[Sacrilege, AngelCartelTrans3]

Corpum B-Type Energized EM Membrane
Corpum C-Type Energized Explosive Membrane
Medium Armor Repairer II
Medium Armor Repairer II
Dread Guristas Ballistic Control System

Stasis Webifier II
Stasis Webifier II
Stasis Webifier II
Missile Guidance Computer II

Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Medium Energy Nosferatu II

Medium Warhead Calefaction Catalyst II
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I

Valkyrie II x10

Caldari Navy Mjolnir Rocket
Missile Precision Script x1

Is kind of slow and uses a few more missiles than I would prefer, but it permatanks the incoming DPS and it works with non-bugged Dramiels (probably wouldn’t work on the current ones, but that should eventually change). I have Rapid Launch and Guided Missile Precision implants which probably help. Keep a Mobile Depot with MWD, Drone Damage Amp II x3 and Drone Link Augmentor II to kill/loot the Angel Transport when the frigs are gone.

OP don’t forget the explosion radius and explosion velocity aspects of the equation when testing fits.
Probably do not need to say this but less overall damage can be more effective due to better application because these two factors.

Thanks! I tried your fit, but it turns out the Angel-Dramiels just negate every single point of damage, regardless of what I’m doing. (Valkyries don’t work, by the way. They tend to miss nearly 100% of the time.)

I had some minor “success” by throwing out ECM-Vespas, since they sometimes aggro all of the Dramiels, allowing me to slink off in shame when the warp scrambling stops.

I guess I’ll just have to give up trying to crack this scenario with missiles, too bad. I’ll try the Vigilant next.

Update: Complete failure with all missile fits I tried. Welp.

I then tried a recommended Vigilant-fit and it worked on the first try. Sigh.

If others want to try this specific Burner, this fit is good enough it even works with Butterfinger McSanddune (me):

[Vigilant, Angel Transport Burning 2]
Medium Armor Repairer II
Armor Explosive Hardener II
Armor Explosive Hardener II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

Medium Capacitor Booster II
Stasis Webifier II
Stasis Webifier II
Stasis Webifier II

Heavy Neutron Blaster II
Heavy Neutron Blaster II
Heavy Neutron Blaster II
Heavy Neutron Blaster II
Heavy Neutron Blaster II

Medium Anti-EM Pump II
Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump II
Medium Nanobot Accelerator I

Vespa EC-600 x5

Cap Booster 800 x6
Void M x4300

This fit is astonishingly robust. I failed at overheating my hardeners for example, and very nearly burned my webs out instead, but I still could take the Dramiels down pretty damn fast. The Vespas worked, too and reduced incoming DPS sometimes.

The last Dramiel then bugged out and hovered at 30km for a while, but shooting him made him aggro me again, problem solved.

That said, I had three mid-grade Asklepian-implants slotted in, so my tank was marginally better than it should have been. There was also a +3% cap implant. The rest was for missiles, and therefore had no influence.

Just don’t forget to use your cap booster once in a while! As easy as this fight was, it can go nasty very easily, too. Don’t let your cap run dry and as soon as you kill two, you’re basically done, your fit can now negate any incoming DPS.

Not part of the fit but also important: A mobile depot and a MWD to catch the transport after the shooting is over.

Welp, thanks for the advice! I know have a working fit for this Burner, even though it isn’t the one I expected.

You missed this part:

The Burner Dramiels are bugged - or at least they were at the time of your writing. And I should have made clear that the drones were for the Transport - you should never use medium drones against a burner (or any) frig. But you found a fit that works so that is what matters.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.