Buzzard or Anathema?

they also can’t point you in less than 7 seconds for the t3c and i thing its 12 for the asteros so it is only bombers you are working against and they can lock you in under 3

So under 7s align time is the only number that matters when it comes to getting out.

I would go with Astero. You can defend yourself from stealth bombers and other Asteros, and can push other explorers away from your site. This means more isk/hr.

[Anathema, *2021 Scan Anathema]
Inertial Stabilizers II
Inertial Stabilizers II
Co-Processor I
Co-Processor I

5MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
Scan Pinpointing Array II
Relic Analyzer II
Data Analyzer II

Expanded Probe Launcher II
Interdiction Nullifier I
Covert Ops Cloaking Device II

Small Signal Focusing Kit II
Small Gravity Capacitor Upgrade II

Sisters Core Scanner Probe x16
Sisters Combat Scanner Probe x16

That’s what I would use (usually with all 3 mids for scanning upgrades instead of hacking modules).
You can change the Scan Pinpointing Array for a Cargo Scanner if you really want to.

Personally, I like the Anathema better than the Buzzard purely for the looks.

Targeting delay at cloak level 4 (requirement for CovOps cloak) is 6s, which is most common for Asteros and T3Cs. However, with the right rigs and better cloak this delay can be as low as 2.76s for non-bombers.

So the best number to get out alive is the lowest align number you can get.

1 Like

Astero is a decent choice, if you want to be able to fight.

Apart from that it’s inferior (cost, scanning bonuses, warp speed, no nullification) to T2 explorers. If you’re willing to pay that much extra for the Astero to be able to fight, another possible option is the Pacifier.

Apart from the high cost for the Pacifier, it’s better than all the T2 explorers in all but scan bonuses: Ample fitting space, can use nullifier, two extra high slots to fight or bring a covops cyno and one of the highest warp speeds ingame.

2.76 is still 4 seconds to grab point minimum. so thats the only target you need to be under

Correct, assuming your reaction time is 0 and you never face bombers.

I know my reaction time isn’t always that good. Get below 3s align. It’s easily doable and will save your ship more often than not.

I have a question.

I have a blinged Anathema for exploration. I see people saying how great exploration is and how they make a lot of isk, amounts actually worth bothering with.

What exactly am i supposed to be doing to make this isk in exploration? So far it seems pretty mundane and it is just a lot easier to keep buying plex for isk. I have looked for that 50mil an hour and im not finding it. I know not to do ghost sit hacks already.

Can someone explain it to me please? i don’t need an essay, just a point in the right direction.

1 Like

Exploration payout can vary a lot.

The payout per hour depends on multiple factors:

• how fast you scan
  • how many other explorers have been active in your region recently/now
  • which region you are scanning in
  • the type of sites you’re after
  • luck

Certain regions in the game pay more than others. I’ve explored a lot in Sansha null sec for relic sites when I lived nearby. And depending on the time of the day you can have more or less competition from other explorers. Sometimes you find multiple valuable sites and get 300m in one hour, sometimes you go multiple hours to find only one site with a 10m payout.

There was a time when I knew the timezone of the local alliances in that region, so I went exploring for hours while it was mostly quiet. At such times you can make a lot of ISK… if you’re lucky.

Luck is always a part of exploration. But you have control over the other factors: get good skills, get good at doing it fast (set up keybinds for scanning, learn how to hack fast, know how to fly through hostile space without landing on decloak cans in bubbles, etc.), pick a good region to explore in, find a time of the day when there is not a lot of competition in that region (which may conflict with your choice of region as most explorers like going to valuable regions) and just keep doing it as on average exploration pays well even if you sometimes go for an hour for only a few million.

Good luck!

P.S.: It’s also good to finish your sites, as they won’t respawn until they despawn, which means that if you finish a lot of sites and take the same route back, you often find multiple respawned sites that stand out as they are new unscanned sigs.

1 Like

Thank you. I guess it’s not a part of the game ill be investing time into yet. I’ve got the skills and ship ready for when i am :slight_smile:

Alot of its RNG. Last night I made 100 mil in 40 minutes. Sometimes you get nothing but WHs LOL.

1 Like

it really is, say you make 10.00hr this is under minimum wage for most but it’s a round number.

Should you take this and exchange it for plex your looking at over 700 mil for that one hour of work. Or you can ‘work’ in eve for that hour and maybe make 250 mil.

There are very few professions in eve that justify the opportunity cost if isk is all you’re after.

1 Like

Exactly. I dont have time for the grind.

It’s depressing how someone can explain the why and how of something over and over again and why it works better than other options but folks just won’t accept it, showing their lack of understanding.

The best overall null explorer package is the Helios due to slotting, fitting and agility options. I wish it wasn’t as it’s ugly but it is overall the best even if the extra bonus doesn’t suit you.

2 Likes

This is one of the more perceptive points - warping is the biggest time-sink in exploration. Other factors like scanning ability, safety from hunters and gatecamps can be easily managed with piloting skill and fitting tweaks.

Therefore I would propose the best exploration ship is a 2x hyperspatial rig Pacifier.

20au/s warpspeed and better warp acceleration/deceleration makes a huge difference in ground covered, time setting up safes/pings and therefore overall isk/hour.

While a Pacifier fit this way won’t be suitable for combat, it at least presents a threatening image in the same way an astero does (being a powerful little combat frigate).

It is significantly more expensive but I’ve personally lost so few exploration ships over the years (regardless of whether they’re T1, astero, covert ops) that I feel that the reward heavily outweighs the risks.

2 Likes

I agree, the Pacifier is a great choice.

While it has some downsides compared to T2 explorers (only 4 mids versus 5 for Helios and Buzzard and no scan deviation bonus like the Buzzard and Anathema, and is much more expensive), that warp speed bonus is great.

I never tried one myself yet, but maybe I should.

1 Like

My experience of it was that it was far, far more efficient for exploring in null, where there’s far more time spent travelling between systems and far fewer sigs to scan per system.

In wormholes, the warpspeed is a bit less impactful but it still felt just as efficient, if not better, than a buzzard or helios.

Edit: I also value the extra high-slot to carry an offline covert cyno on the off chance I see something worth pinging some buddies for and organizing a hot-drop - but this isn’t a factor for most explorers.

One thing that also draws me to the Pacifier is that I get to have 2 high slots for rockets or other weapons to shoot other explorers with.

Too often I just find a site with a Buzzard/Anathema/Helios/Cheetah in it and cannot do anything about them except try to steal as many other cans as I can before they notice. Or lock them up to see if I can scare them off in my non-combat Helios.

1 Like

Thats why I prefer the astero. You can eat other expos and take de lewts.

1 Like

Astero is nice for that, but the downsides (lower scanning power, slow warp speed, high cost, not nullified) means I really prefer using a T2 explorer instead unless I’m specifically hunting explorers.

1 Like