Capsuleers: Post Death

How much trauma does the typical capsuleer experience post death and clone re-birth process? I’ve always been fascinated by the lore of the capsuleer methos.

Do they remember pain after obliteration? Do they feel any remorse for their crews or ship personnel after they all die from the capsuleers mistakes?

I’m just curious.

2 Likes

Side effects of emergency cloning as well as remorse for crew are player calls. Some capsuleers feel them, some don’t. Capsuleers are human.

My take is that capsuleers would not, it general, remember the pod breach and their own death nor experience much pain at that stage, as lore is explained.

As speculation (not confirmed lore), depending on how tuned they are to the ship they might experience ship loss as very unpleasant, even painful. Capsuleer implants use normal neural pathways to experience and control the ship.

3 Likes

Interesting, thanks for feedback/information on this…greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Here is a chronicle that depicts the awakening process:

4 Likes

The book EVE: The Empyrean Age describes the death and cloning rebirth process pretty differently. The Gallente navy protagonist (in an Incursus, if I remember correctly) experiences his pod being ripped apart in an explosion, and simultaneously feels the automatic toxin injection that kills him. The next instant, he’s fully conscious in his clone, with a full memory of what happened the instant before. He thinks to himself “■■■■! Screwed it up!” or something similar.

1 Like

I’d explain that to variations of when the burner kicks in (being, really, differences of split seconds but it’s amazing what can burn into the memory in that time) and also people’s responses to traumatic stimuli. Some folks vividly remember snapshots, some are hard pressed to remember anything, so there’s wiggle room for interpretation.

3 Likes

I believe this is THE classic work on the subject of the post-retrieval experience.
http://wiki.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?title=Nope…_the_podding_don%E2%80%99t_hurts

1 Like

I think its also important to remember that the human mind is quite wonderful at “filling in the blanks”. so a capsuleer who knows what the pod-breach process is, and has some sort of personal focus or fixation on the death process might “remember” it happening, when really its just a fabrication of their brain filling in the blank milliseconds between death and rebirth according to what they “think” happened (subconsciously of course)
meanwhile another capsuleer who isn’t nearly as fixated on the process, or simply doesn’t care about it all that much, would be less likely to “Remember” anything, because their mind isn’t subconsciously trying to fill anything in, since its just not important enough to them.

As always, I’d say the experience is subjective, as has been pointed out previously. There is one description in a chronicle: https://community.eveonline.com/backstory/fiction/all-these-lives-are-fit-to-ruin/

He leaned in again and said, in a whisper, “There is a point where your brain knows it is about to die. Everything passes in a flash, like a dream played at hyperspeed, the whole experience tinted with that quivering fear your subconscious vomits up: That this is the last, this is the end, this is the final run before the infinite nothing. I have been cloned more times than I can recall, and this is the one part of the process that I will never, in my life of lives, get used to. So you come along and bring it on me, along with hundreds of others on my ship;

Synaptic Degradation…does this mean that you can lose stuff in the upload sometimes?

For the 99.9%, probably not. However, you are a copy… of a copy. Minor imperfections can and do happen, and these can be exacerbated with over time.

2 Likes

I think this may be a hold-over from the old clone-state days where you could very well loose skillpoints (famously there was an instance where a pirate NPC, I believe it was Fatal of the guristas, was being played by a ccp dev for an in-game RP event, and he ended up getting podded and hadn’t updated his clone at all, resulting in ALL the sp given to that character going poof. it got added to the lore as his clone process failed resulting in severe brain damage)

1 Like

It’s not. While not using a correct clone state resulted in a significant amount of neural damage, every cloning, even with the highest grade clones, still has a chance of degradation. At least one chronicle mentions this (Doppleganger), as well as both the Cloning scientific article and Frigates of EVE (or might have been EVE Source, not sure which). Degradation is low, on the level of less than a tenth of a percentile, but happens.

The doctor continued. “You’ll be glad to know that the integration process went very well, and only slight synaptic degradation was encountered. We hope you will continue using the services of the Vivant Clone Repositories.”

-Doppleganger

The best clones, made from certified human cadavers in perfect condition, are able to retain up to 99.99% of memory – a figure close enough to call the revived clone a true doppelganger of the original person.

-Cloning

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.