CAX (Combat Auxiliaries): a new role in capital ship warfare

(Serylda Skor) #1

disclaimer: this is yet another of those non proposal ideas, probably gamebreaking and only sounds good on paper but fun to discuss (i think).

What are Combat Auxiliaries?

in the most basic term they are the capital equivalent of E-WAR vessels, presenting bonuses to targeted electronic warfare to serve as heavy disruption support on fleets at the cost of being significantly vulnerable and combat limited.

outside of that role, they sport a new role designed for fleets of any size. inspired by some designs i saw on last year’s Fanfest presentations. Combat Auxiliares are capable of fitting a wall proyector module which generaters a bubble around it in order to provide additional lifetime to the other vessels under its fold.

How does the Wall Proyector works:

lorewise the idea is that this is a new technology developed by the empires out of the remains of Drifter Battleships. while not in the same level of defensive potential as those, Wall Proyectors generate a bubble around the vessel in a manner similar to Hictors, the protective layer counts as a secondary layer of shielding for all the other ally ships inside the bubble.

the secondary layer would only amount for a percentage of the affected ship’s total shield or armor hitpoints (depending on the CAXes module to favour either shield or armor doctrines). additionally, the layer would be non stackable to prevent exploits (multiple CAXes could shield each other but not provide multiple stacks of protective layer).

all the Wall Proyectors occupy a midslot, which is added to all the vessels by taking down a highlost so it doesnt mess around with tanking slots.

all of them would have both a percentage amount in total and a small amount that would be regenerated per cycle. this to reflect active and passive tanking methods, certain CAXes would be bonused to give bigger raw layering whereas others would have a higher regen layer that would be repaired per cycle.

The vessels themselves:

this is only at the slots and bonuses lvl so some things may be out of place. take in account this ships would have way less hitpoints than a dreadnought to compensate the E-WAR and support habilities.

Gallente Echidna

4 highs ( 2 turrets)
6 mids
7 lows

Gallente Combat Auxiliary bonuses (per skill level):

5% bonus to Remote Sensor Dampener effectiveness
20% bonus to Remote Sensor Dampener optimal range and falloff
7,5% bonus to Armor Wall Generator protective layer regeneration amount per cycle

Role Bonus:

can fit Siege Modules
5x penalty to Entosis Link duration

Amarr Prophet

4 highs (2 turrets)
5 mids
8 lows

Amarr Combat Auxiliary bonuses (per skill level):

5% bonus to Weapon Disruption effectiveness
20% bonus to Weapon Disruption optimal range and falloff
5% bonus to Armor Wall Generator protective layer amount

Role Bonus:

can fit Siege Modules

Caldari Tarasque

4 highs (2 launchers)
8 mids
5 lows

Caldari Combat Auxiliary bonuses (per skill level):

15% bonus to ECM Target Jammer per lvl
20% bonus to ECM Target Jammer optimal range and falloff
5% bonus to Shield Wall Generator protective layer amount

Role bonus:

can fit Siege Modules

Minmatar Jotun

4 highs (2 turrets)
7 mids
6 lows

Minmatar Combat Auxiliary bonuses (per skill level):

7,5% bonus to Target Painter effectiveness
20% bonus to Target Painter optimal range and falloff
7,5% bonus to Shield Wall Proyector protective layer regeneration amount per cycle

Role Bonus:

can fit Siege Modules
5x penalty to Entosis Link effectiveness

The Emphasis:

these ship are meant to help in the protection of key vessels during fleet fights not by repping power but by keeping them more or less safe from high alpha damage for a while. this in exchange of being a primary target. by having the protective layer the logistic wing would be able to focus in other targets instead of focusing reps to keep other members from being alpha’ed to death.

the protective layer is scaled to the affected ship hitpoints so it would be both intended for CAXes to fly both with subcaps and other capitals while providing EWAR support in a more or less tanky format (but still way vulnerable compared to other ships of the same size).

anyways, its probably a really bad idea, but i was inspired to share it in the forums.

(Catherine Laartii) #2

It might be better to have them take over the burst projector role currently held by supers; i like the idea of the shield wall; some other games i play like Guild Wars 2 have something similar for their support setups, so i can see its usefulness. That said, the role overlaps with titan fleet HP bonuses a bit, so maybe something more tame like increasing hull resists/hp, or increasing scan resolution?

(Serylda Skor) #3

i tried to chew the idea of the shield wall for a while before posting this. but i was fearing that an increase in hitpoints or even adding extra resistances in the bubble would be too much. so the idea of adding a small 4th protective layer came up.

in theory it should be the same to add like 25% bonus (or 50% depending on the CAX used) total armor or shield to the vessels but instead of having resistances bonuses is more like a raw non resistant amount of hitpoints that help to cut some of the damage received before disappearing (it regens per cycle from the CAX’s side so its not meant to be there forever, it takes time to recover).

as for the burst project thing. i feared that it would be too OP taking in account the ship not only disrupts but gives a protective layer while having access to siege mode. so instead i modeled the bonuses for cherry picking targets instead of applying AoE electronic warfare.

(Krysenth) #4

I have a hard time seeing the point of these. Against a titan, ewar is only 20% effective, with DR still in play. Dreads? 20% effective when they siege with a 0% ECM effectiveness. FAX? 0% ECM, 40% effective ewar (which is fighting against a 900% ScRes boost from triage. Supers? 50% ewar resistance, but also gains 50% sensor strength and 500% ScRes with the NSA. Carriers? Same as a super but without the resistance.

At best this is just an hp sponge that someone will keep bubbled while the rest of the fleet (the actual threat) is dealt with, and then proceed to salvage this ship piece by piece with you still in it.

(Slayer Liberator) #5

Maybe it could ignore some of those resistances.

(system) #6

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.