CCP is at it again V2: Big Money Edition

I like your honesty. I was looking at skill injectors as being a way to energise younger playrs with less SP, but I did not want older players to use them. It turned out to cause issues in a number of areas.

If it could be limited to characters with less then 20m SP then I think it would be better. However I think it is now a major income for CCP because with the cutting off of ISK fonts people are more likely to plex for skills rather than wait. I still think it is bad for the game as it is, but it is what I call acceptable.

I was happy with it as a change because of new players, I just did not like it being misused and when they first introduced it they left in so many exploits, it was silly.

I thought it had a balance change, and the most important one for me was to do with BLOP’s, in that it was really easy to create a covert cyno character without history. That was something that made operating in nullsec more difficult because prior to this many covert cyno characters had killboard records. Which is what you picked up on with your reply.

Perhaps with the loss of easy ISK fonts injectors will find their market drying up a bit and the impact lessons.

We have all had personal changes destroy our game play at one time or another, I got upset with combat recons not showing on D-scan, which negated the game play I was doing at the time, so I rage quit, but came back later having accepted it. It changed the strategic choices I had made and made it easier to beat me. I was using twin Phantasms to rat in a system where all the gates, belts and stations were in D-scan range so I could assess what they were bringing to kill me and in do so control my risk. The combat recons enabled them to bring a perfect setup to defeat me and I would not know until they landed. Like you I got over it.

o7

3 Likes

Skill points were and are a bad idea. After this many years they need to do away with them. They had a place years ago. But now they just push new players away. Keep the ecosystem we have, insane hull and t2 prices. But remove skill points.

you think the donkey will walk without the carrot on a stick?

1 Like

just give them enough extra plex to get an injector…instead of making new SP out of nowhere… this is why injector prices are dropping and extractor prices are rising…more sp to extract, more extractors to sell…demand for extrectrs are high, and supply for injectors are high…also this means ccp gets more monee as the only way other to get extractors is to buy with plex (edit: or money)

I believe that the skill based system is pretty good and gives you something to strive for. That CCP have monetarized it, is good for some and bad for others. One of the strengths of this game is that in game skills have real impact in both fun and wanting to continue, there is always something new to develop into. Eve would lose a lot if it did what you suggested.

1 Like

I believe the very small skill injectors used to speed things up a little bit for newer players is perhaps good. However, I think the other injectors cause unintended behaviors like skill farms if those are still around. Being able to also instantly skill into ships further removes the need for players to plan, think, and fails to keep them engaged longer in EVE.

What I’m getting at is that it seems with the introduction of the unlimited skill queue years ago and now the instant gratification you can get from injectors and plex the original underlying design of the game is falling apart. This game was about slow planned progression towards improving your ships, your options, and perhaps more. With that now gone they will get their infusion of cash but new players will also likely get bored due to the need of said instant gratification. EVE isn’t Fortnite, or Apex, or any other game like that. EVE takes planning and time for things to happen, especially with large groups.

With these get into the game now cash grabs they have undermined their games underlying design and as a result the game is cheapened by it. It is also likely deceiving by praying on those that don’t fully understand EVE and trying to get them to pour money into it before they are even sure if they really like the game. And again they’ve ruined the original progression over time skill point system which seems largely pointless now.

In my humble opinion they need to at least do two things: Remove all injectors but the small ones you can get as a reward from gameplay (but they are not tradeable). And lastly, remove the unlimited skill queue but perhaps make it a tad more generous than it was in the past in regards to the limit of skills you could put into it.

Or they need to completely overhaul their games underlying progression system which will help their player retention and somehow improve the game somehow. I would hope this might even mean removing predatory skill point marketing, and skill points entirely, as well.

After players created skillpoint farms and made so many of them so it’s not even profitable anymore, I don’t think CCP selling bit of SP will cause any issues. EVE problems clearly concentrated in other aspects - game is boring and become even more boring with latest changes.

1 Like

Pay to win games are absolute garbage. I don’t view Eve as pay to win though.

I do dislike the ability to buy ISK with real cash, but I see the “need” for it in today’s gaming world.

Perhaps we should all donate millions of dollars to encourage the removal of PLEX/injectors. Get your wallets out ladies!

1 Like

Thats a huge change to the game. Cannot see how it would be possible at this stage/age of the game.
Maybe another system, where you can use EVERYTHING from day one, but first time u fly in X ship you have crap skills, then the more realtime you use a certain ship/module, the better skills you get at it.

Dunno… :thinking:

You can’t buy ISK with real cash though in EVE, you can buy PLEX with real cash, which you can trade with other players for ISK. A very important distinction as the former would create inflation while the latter doesn’t.

As long as there are people with more money than time and other players with more time than money, it’s good if online games like EVE allow those types of players to trade time for money via CCP, rather than letting them do so anyway but via 3rd party RMT sites.

PLEX is one of the better things CCP created.

2 Likes

Well said.

Believe or not I’m not angry, but I feel for all the people that put real effort in here.

But then, this is internet, I’m here for the lulz.

2 Likes

Without taking one side or another, let me say that this has been a long process. I’m going to get at least one “OK, Boomer” for this, but here goes.

I started gaming in 1971. I was 11 years old. The game was called 1914, by Avalon Hill. There was no internet, there were no PC’s, we played on a cardboard map with little half-inch square counters. And the culture of gamers was dedicated to scrupulous fairness.

Then the PC revolution happened, and “computer games” were born. From the very start they were of two kinds - one was inspired by arcade games that traced their descent back to Pong; the other type were the descendants of the board games once published by Avalon Hill and Strategic Publications Inc. But PC games were made by gamers, and they remained dedicated to fairness.

Then the games industry grew to the point that there was actual money being made, and the corporations moved in for the kill. Electronic Arts was the beginning of the corporate takeover, and they infamously swallowed Origin Systems, which had made a much-beloved series of games called Wing Commander.

Today the games industry is dominated by the giant corporations, and they suck every penny out of it that they can. They don’t give a tinker’s dam for fairness or anything but profit. And they have eroded our dedication to fairness to such a degree that it’s almost gone. Younger gamers have grown up in this corporate-dominated world, “pay to win” seems normal to them, and in all fairness we cannot blame them for that.

CCP’s behaviour since being bought by PA doesn’t surprise me. ***** game companies are the most shameless ************* of them all. Lord British found this out the hard way with Tabula Rasa 14 years ago.

1 Like

Dude, you need to chill out a bit.

You can tell others to not support CCP and don’t pay for the game anymore but the stuff about getting Dev names and making sure they can’t work can be viewed as harassment / attacking CCP employees, that will probably get you banned from the forums.

Perhaps it is only a function of my ignorance, but I am happy with the game, more or less. We all go through stages.

I remember being furiously angry when they changed Stealth Bombers from Cruise Missiles to Torpedoes, and feeling quite unhappy. But you get over it, in time.

I’m having fun, and I consider the game to be worth my 15 bucks a month. For now.

The skillpoint bundles are one-off per account - ok it is never good for sp for money, but I guess this is good in the middle of the road thing.

Though Skill Points is not the same as having skill and surviving well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Except that they keep introducing new once-per-account skill point packages.

1 Like

I don’t agree with that, getting killed a few times and learning what skills were and how they worked was a big part of what kept me in Eve and got me last the initial learning curve and the frustrations of being new. The skill queue taking as long as it does gives people time to learn about the things they can use at the time while also giving them something to look forward to. It’s actually a very good system I think and keeps inexperienced people from making even bigger mistakes. Some of the skills I’m training now feel oppressively long at times, but really I’m not yet ready for a lot of stuff that I can use now like T3 cruisers which I trained into long before I was knowledgeable enough to use them properly.

The issue is that I could buy PLEX, sell it then buy skill injectors. Those skill injectiors are a market (mostly from AFK (even offline) skillfarms). If CCP sells skills competitively, people will come and complain “CCPlease, don’t compete with me!” and somehow think that’s a valid business strategy… I wonder what CCP will decide… :smiley:

A harsh truth bomb right here.

Thats my “Special Offer” Today …