CCP, make this happen! [New character creator]

CPP, makes this happen…

The ability of AI to generate fake visuals is not yet mainstream knowledge, but a new website — ThisPersonDoesNotExist.com — offers a quick and persuasive education.

The site is the creation of Philip Wang, a software engineer at Uber, and uses research released last year by chip designer Nvidia to create an endless stream of fake portraits. The algorithm behind it is trained on a huge dataset of real images, then uses a type of neural network known as a generative adversarial network (or GAN) to fabricate new examples.

“Each time you refresh the site, the network will generate a new facial image from scratch,” wrote Wang in a Facebook post. He added in a statement to Motherboard: “Most people do not understand how good AIs will be at synthesizing images in the future.”

The underlying AI framework powering the site was originally invented by a researcher named Ian Goodfellow. Nvidia’s take on the algorithm, named StyleGAN, was made open source recently and has proven to be incredibly flexible. Although this version of the model is trained to generate human faces, it can, in theory, mimic any source. Researchers are already experimenting with other targets. including anime characters, fonts, and graffiti.

ThisPersonDoesNotExist.com uses AI to generate endless fake faces - The Verge

If you refresh enough eventually you will come across an image with anomalies proving these are not actual people but computer fabrications. What I would like is the ability to input data, like skin color, eye color,facial feature shapes and such.

Go back to the days of a static image, but realistic as hell.

A WINNER!!

Due to your attention to detail, high mission commitment and imagination I hereby award you the Most Pointless Suggestion award.

You narrowly bumped out the EVEOS thread!

3 Likes

So you wouldn’t like a a hyper-realistic rendering of your character in a new character creator?
png
Instead of the plastic mannequin you have now?

We already have real faces in the real world. “Hyper-realistic” isn’t actually a thing.
We don’t need to identify with virtual faces.
This adds nothing to the game.

It’s “OOOHHH WOW”, for a week, then it’s forgotten because it turns normal. Anyone attracted to the game, just because of the face, will not join the game for the rest.

The idea is not bad, Muriel. It’s just really pointless for anyone who isn’t mentally ill enough to require such a realistic face for immersion and I REALLY HOPE that most people aren’t.

And besides all of the above … it’s ■■■■■■■ creepy.

1 Like

I’d rather have a police skin for my Ishkur :blush:

3 Likes

honestly, I think that the amount of effort and resources being put into something like this would probably require more time then three or four content patches. Its not worth the investment, though, its interesting.

I think this idea is highy invalidated by the fact that we dont have physical bodies (like in the station) that we use to, and i would advocate we got those back before we did this (or before this even might have a valid reason to be added).

Am I strange that I prefer EVE faces for EVE players over some photos of random normal people that I can see anywhere?

Sure I would like some additional features and options for the EVE faces, but keep the uniqueness of EVE portraits. I really like that I can tell from portraits whether someone has a Minmatar face, a Gallente tattoo or is wearing Amarr clothing for example. And a lot of people have default EVE faces ingame, but it’s really nice to see when someone has put in some time in their portrait.

Those ‘realistic’ photos would be boring. I see real people every day. Give me EVE portraits!

2 Likes

No way, then we could not build faces like mine.

My chin is a tribute to Kirk Douglas!

1 Like

You are missing the point. This is just a technology demo. It can clearly be programmed for the distinct facial features of all the EVE races along with hairstyles, tattoos and accessories.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.