CCP should add a character rename certifacate

I did, and you were already told they did what you asked, you just chose to ignore it despite it being true https://www.eveonline.com/article/inactive-trial-account-renaming-reminder

Names on paid accounts were not freed up, hence as i stated, they have paid for their names, i mean maybe i’m not the one who should “stay in school” :wink:

So, if someone spent $15.00 in 2003 for one month and then quit…they bought that name forever? Do you know how stupid that concept is?

And why exactly do you think its stupid? first come first served, the only reason you’re this upset is because there is clearly a name you want but is already taken, so instead of being mature about it and realising that you were late to the party like an adult, you instead whine for change in the extremely unlikely event that you can attempt to get the name you want

So yes, they spent money and claimed that name, they get to keep it, i don’t see a valid reason to take that away from them in the least, you’ve yet to actually provide a valid reason why you think it should be taken away from them when they have completed all the required steps to claim ownership of it

1 Like

Lol @ reputation argument. 99.9%+ of the players have essentially NO reputation beyond their closest circle. Quick, name leader of the U’K, the oldest alliance in the game. Can’t without looking, eh?
Even a somewhat notorious player, disappearing for a month or two and popping up in some other part of space, will be a complete no-name to people there. Besides, there is a corp history, which could easily include character rename history and character sale history if you wanted to know that the player X was actually the big bad scammer Y or that W belonged to some other player in the past.
Sure, there are very famous players known to all, some even to non-players. Name change for them would be a problem - but this is limited to a handful of players.

The better argument would be that the server code couldn’t handle that without modifications + low priority to change this => feature set to be implemented “never”.

1 Like

You’ve missed the point completely.

What’s useful name to remember to you (the leader of ushrakahn) is different to useful name to remember for me.

You may not know who tikktokk tokkzikk is. But if you occasionally dip your toe in the same lowsec areas as him, it’s useful to recognise him before you start a fight on account of how he fits his ships.

Same goes for locals that have a tendency to use bait tackle, or honour 1v1’s. Or people that have gotten a reputation for being a scammer/theif/awoxer.

Yeah, reputation is a thing. You just aren’t playing in a way that it matters.

Why don’t you just the extra character to the name then? Rather than having CCP go back into the historic database and update all the older names. If you are OK with dumping a different character on someone’s already created character name, then you should be happy with using it yourself.

Just create ‘Enigma II’ or something.

Also: name change is a terribad idea,

Enigma is supposed to be such a great name to warrant so many tears over it? :sweat_smile: Sounds like a batman villain from comic books or something. :stuck_out_tongue:

If this was some superhero MMO it would make perfect sense but even then would feel getting all triggered about its ownership an overreaction, but in EVE it doesn’t seem that special of a name nor fitting the theme much if any at all imo.

This was true a long time ago but now with skill injectors and char transfers it is not at all true.

Also there is no reason why the interaction history would have to be dumped just because a name was changed.

while I do agree with you in principle I also know that it will never happen. the main reason it will never happen, is because ccp makes a hell of a lot more money from people extracting and injecting to get a new name than they could ever make from a name change. If they ever did decide to add it, they would either be loosing a hell of a lot of money every time someone does it. or it would be priced so ludicrously high that people would throw a fit.

Clearly you have never done this. Extracting and injecting ends up losing a lot of SP, especially for an established character. I seriously doubt anyone would want to go from 60k sp to 40k something sp just for a name change.

Even if the extractors were free.

1 Like

I am the one that knocks.

If the name you want is taken, figure out a variation that will work.

Actually I did do exactly this when I came back to the game. Went from 50m sp down to 30m. But it’s better than starting from scratch, and I got more isk out of it than I could have sold my old character for.

Except that some GM can decide to take your name, and with it goes years of reputation building.

And they can do it without warning or even a “why did you choose this name?”

solution add a name history tab then it could be possible
and also given an alert to anyone that has somebody said to negative or positive this person is change their name
there should also be a history for the character if it was traded at all to another account

So this affects me a lot. I signed up in 2006. I didn’t like the game much back then. But it’s a lot better now, and I’m actually getting into it now that I returned. But didn’t really want to make a new character because I have a few million skill points. I made this name not thinking I’d be very into it back then (which I wasn’t). I still did sub back then, and I lose my 2006 registration history, so it would feel like a massive loss to start over at least emotionally.

Yes, just add it to name history.
You can also do it how Steam had it with an “Also known as”. When you click someone’s pilot info, it’d have their name and then slightly smaller print of “A.K.A. [previous name]”.

Could also make it so name change is a slow process that takes 90 days, and during that 90 days another player can play the PLEX back plus an additional fee to block it. So if someone really doesn’t want someone to change their name because they have a reputation attached to it, they can keep watching it and stop them.
Something like:

• Player pays 500 PLEX to submit their legal rename request.
  • They have a pending bureaucracy icon by their name in chat and pilot info over the next 90 days, similar to a suspect or criminal icon.
  • To block the request, another player may pay 1000 PLEX, plus an additional 20 PLEX each day since it was submitted, so 2780 PLEX if they wait for the 89th day, to void someone’s legal name request. This PLEX goes directly to the player whose request was blocked as a refund plus restitution, while CPP keeps the original 500 PLEX.
  • If a request is blocked by another player, that player can’t submit another legal rename request for 30 days.
  • If a request is successful, they can not change their name again for 2 years. Their previous name will show in history (possibly as “AKA [previous name]” as well.

Anyone you interact with now and then, you’ll see them looking to change their name and you can stop it if it’s worth it. Also, some of the top people who others might not want names changed on will be monitored by bots so they don’t get to.
In real life you can change your name. But sure, if Bill Gates changed his name, everyone would know about it.

This is all well and good if alts weren’t a thing. As it stands a name change certificate wouldn’t really matter especially if your character showed previous names. EVE is the least personal game I can think of because you don’t even know if you’re fighting an alt most of the time.

All this talk about doing some crazy backstab and everyone knowing who you are is bs cause you can just buy/inject a new char on the market after selling/uninjecting yours.

Yes, the real reason for no name change seems to be that CCP knows people will spend a lot more PLEX on skill extractor transfers, or they’ll sell their character.

However, there’s a lot of us who don’t want to do that before we want to keep our history with the name change, and they’re missing out on getting that money.

Go check my post.

I’m detailling conditions and possible counters of Character name change :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.