Client Closed Unexpectedly - cannot launch the game on macOS High Siera 10.13.2 Beta 1

I used a Win 10 VM in Fusion Pro and it “worked”…in the sense that you can technically use a Smart Car to haul bricks, it’s just not a great idea… I can connect just fine and zip around, but the hypervisor does not deal with the graphics requirements as well as it needs to, so I need to completely nerf all of the graphics settings to get it close to useable without stuttering and lag.

Yeah Virtual box was about the same but I’ve heard Paralels actually works - shame I can’t get the flipping thing to work.

FRUSTRTATED! i’ve now messaged Paralels on facbook.

1 Like

Sadly, I don’t expect a quick fix here. I’ve seen other reports around the web that this beta broke WINE and lots of people are having issues. Not sure CCP or WINE HQ can do much in the short term, so I’m crossing my fingers that this is on Apple’s end. But I can’t imagine it being a high priority for them. Hopefully, the next beta fixes it, but I’m already planning a reinstallation of 10.13.1 at this point.

Yeah I hear you. I mean, I do have a windows machine at home but I love running eve on my lapotop when I’ve got 1/2 hour to kill :frowning:

I’m all Mac, for better or worse. Trying to decide what’s going to be more painful- reverting or setting up Boot Camp again :joy:

Though I have to say, trying to play on a 11" MacBook Air as a backup is presenting some interesting challenges that has a certain level of novelty!

Yeah I hear you, my Macbook has been perfect for mobile Eve so far. Just at the moment I’m at a high level of frustration with this. Just after I spent a load on PLEX :frowning:

After thinking I was making progress in getting CCP to recognize this is a real problem, my latest interaction was; please delete and re-install the client, we cannot reproduce the problem.

D’oh. :frowning:

OH for goodness sake, well they’ll find out when the upgrade is releasted to the public and every eve client fails on the MAC

!!!

Something just occurred to me that might be worth trying (I am at work so I can’t do it at the moment). I am wondering if this is related to a change in Gatekeeper.

I’ve noticed in Little Snitch that EVE Launcher is lacking a valid Code Signature and I am wondering if that is now causing a problem with how WINE is being launched. Something to try might be disabling Gatekeeper (temporarily, of course) and seeing if this makes any difference.

I’ll try this out when I get back home and see if it makes any difference.

If anybody wants to be a guinea pig on this, try this:

1. Open Terminal
  2. enter the following string:

sudo spctl --master-disable

1. Enter the admin password at the prompt.
  2. Open Settings->Security & Privacy-> General
  3. Select “Anywhere”.
  4. Try launching the EVE client.

This won’t break anything, can be undone easily, and I have no idea if it will make any difference, but wanted to post the thought. If nobody can try this before I do, I’ll follow-up with if I have any success.

EDIT

Just to be clear, this will temporarily bypass Gatekeeper, which is an important security measure. I only mention this as a possible work-around and approach to narrowing down where the problem may lie, not a permanent solution. I am not advocating for people to permanently compromise their system security, just trying to narrow down solutions and identifying the root of the issue :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah tried that thank you but it didn’t work still the same thing :frowning:

Rats. Thanks for giving it a shot though.

Yeah even tried it as a sudo user and launched the eve client from the terminal still no joy.

:frowning:

1 Like

That was going to be my next suggestion- you beat me to it. I’ve got a bad feeling this is going to be ugly…

Since this affects all Wine apps, I’m confident it will be resolved quickly by Apple or the Wine dev team.

Yep, if there is a saving grace here, it’s that it has a fairly broad impact so there will be motivation to get this sorted on all sides. Honestly, I think CCP is a minor player here and it is mostly going to be an issue for WINE and Apple.

That said, just imagining what could have happened here, this could be a simple fix or something that takes a while depending on the root cause.

I’m going to keep digging for details as I am able.

Hang in there, my Mac brethren!

Yeah and I just qualified to fly a Proteus and I have to wait till I get home tonight :frowning:

LOL- we really ARE in the same boat! My Proteus training will be done tomorrow morning!

Yeah a drone boat… :frowning:

1 Like

Apple just released beta 2 to developers.

Anybody have dev access to them? I only have access to the public ones.

Not me I’m half in the mind to go back to standard High Sierra. Going to give it till Lunchtime but this new Beta is rubbish, I can’t run Parallels as well it can’t initialise the network.

Just going to check to see if there is a wine update today that fixes it. Still no response from EVE after they told me to “RAISE A TICKET” after I already have! doh!