Client not launching properly [Solved]

Hi all.
I am having an issue with the game. The launcher seems to work fine, but when i launch a client, the launcher seems to think the client is running, and the process is indeed running. However, I get no client window what so ever.
Neither my terminal or Log-Lite provides any useful information. Nor does my system journal provide any indication that anything is amiss. This sort of issue usually sorts itself out after some updates, either from CCP or from the package manager / AUR.

The issue coincided with the Mac update exactly, so i am lead to believe that its related.
I have tried different WINE versions and Proton versions, and same issue. Also tried the AMDVLK ICD in the past, but that just throws an error and crashed the client.
I wish I had more info to give y’all, but there are no unusual errors reported anywhere.

Here is the environment I am running:

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor
Memory : 16311MB
Machine Type : Desktop
Operating System : Manjaro Linux
Release : 21.1.6
Kernel : 5.13.19-2-MANJARO
Desktop : openbox

-Display-
Resolution : 3600x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (NAVI10, DRM 3.41.0, 5.13.19-2-MANJARO, LLVM 12.0.1)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 21.2.3
Session Display Server : The X.Org Foundation 1.20.13

-WINE-
WINE version : lutris-6.10-7-x86_64
DXVK version : v1.9.2L
DLL Overrides : msvcp140, msvcp140_1 | Native

-Environment Variables-
RADV_PERFTEST : sam,nggc
VK_ICD_FILENAMES : /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.i686.json:/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.x86_64.json
PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC : 90
WINEDLLOVERRIDES : xaudio2_7=n,b

You probably need to do the “launchdarkly_client.pyd” copy hack to get the client to run.
Like (also important to make that file read only)…

cp ~/.wine/drive_c/EVE/SharedCache/tq/bin64/launchdarkly_client.pyd ~/.wine/drive_c/EVE/SharedCache/tq/
chmod -w ~/.wine/drive_c/EVE/SharedCache/tq/launchdarkly_client.pyd

Adjust for your location of EVE.

Also look in the other threads for more info on this.

4 Likes

Yep! That was exactly it.
Will scour the forums for more details though. i like to know what is causing issues and what is fixing them.

There is a bug in wine where it doesn’t mimic windows behavior exactly when loading shared libraries with a relative path and a specific search flag. This behavior is undefined, but its still considered a bug if wine doesn’t behave the same way.

A patchset containing the fix is in the process of being reviewed to be merged in upstream wine; the launchdarkly thing is just a workaround for now. A slightly less precise patch has been merged into glorious eggroll’s proton fork if that’s an option for you.

2 Likes

I had the same issue on suse tumbleweed and this helped. Thank you.

1 Like

You refering to the unhandled exception during game launch?

I gonna download it again and try with 6-21.

Looks like it’s a launcher exception, after script trick it launched.

I tried this hack but didn’t work for me… exactly same issues but for some reason I can’t make it work, suggestions? Same client but from my desktop computer works without issues (almost launcher icon disappeared for no reason).
Confused

I posted this in another thread, but I just wanted to let you all know the patch has been merged in upstream wine with source.winehq.org Git - wine.git/commit

Starting with Wine 6.23 the launchdarkly workaround should no longer be needed to launch the game.

5 Likes

Thank you code warrior.
The data dance continues.

Nice!

Thank you very much! I was having this exact same issue, followed your instructions and now it works like a charm.

It’s odd that the issue suddenly started about a month ago here. I’ve been having to use Windows to play Eve since (well, until now that is :smile: )

Although I note on this machine Eve won’t start at all (even to the character selection screen) from Steam and for a while I had to run (the steam-installed version of EVE) from wine directly, until this issue that is. I tried Lutris but, unsurprisingly, there was no difference. Until today. Yay!

I have yet to retry the steam/proton release, and I doubt this would make any difference. I’m just going to keep using Lutris for now I think, until it breaks again anyway!