Control Tower Blocking Moon

That was what I thought when people answered my question, and then you said it was to make me make this post and then now I’m confused again.

I didn’t even write anything such maybe read what I wrote again.

The answer is in the title of your original post. There’s nothing more to it. To unblock you will have to deal with the POS, creating content for yourself and others :grin:

“We don’t want it, but you can’t have it” is a valid argument in Eve.

And here’s to the mighty dickstar configuration. May you never run out of ammo/stront/fuel.

o7

4 Likes

The POS bashing could be a good task for the new corp being set up in this other thread.

If you pay them some ISK-

https://forums.eveonline.com/t/alpha-and-its-uses/

1 Like

:wink:

I once had a Dread Gurista Large Tower with like 40 Jammers, Damps and a ton of hardeners in a C4 WH. At some point a Fleet of 30 Apocs tried to attack it, they left after an hour and incapping like 1 module.

:rofl:

1 Like

I’m a bit curious, do the batteries calculate range from the batteries, the shield barrier, or the control tower model? If they do it from either the shield barrier or the control tower mode, the hedgehog setup your video has isn’t necessary in theory. I have seen videos of people fighting and either RNG screwed the defenders in those videos, or the range seems to not be calculated from the battery, but from either the shield barrier or the control tower model. And if it’s the latter, then small and medium blasters would be worthless on anything but the small tower. I assume the people who made the video know what they’re doing and I am missing something since, well I never set one of these up myself.

The range on the weapons is calculated from the tower itself. It’s the same thing with any weapon on any ship, it doesn’t matter where it is on the hull (and some hulls are kilometers long), the defined center of the ship is where the measurement is taken. Turrets are controlled by the tower, they’re not autonomous - it’s the tower that issues the (auto-fire) commands, or the player who took control of the tower.

The idea of dickstars was to have plenty of hardeners and plenty of ECM (which have (had?) an optimal of 200km… they (used to ?) break target lock), making it hard and especially time consuming to take them down - increasing the risk of a defending fleet to show up. Even with big fleets it proved a lengthy and frustrating process to take one of these down (we usually had some cleaning up to do after some opportunistic group tried to establish a foothold in provi region). Think I set my last one up back in 2014, the details are pretty vague by now :smiley: and I haven’t used any tower since then. They were meant to frustrate the attacker - and they did, hence their name.

Indeed, small blaster turrets were pretty useless for that reason and were not used afaik on large towers (as in the video).

Range for Guns is, as said, calculated from the Tower. And: Range Modifiers from Ammo don’t work with POS guns, so you can always use the highest-damage close-range ammo and still have an amazing range, even on Medium Guns. Artilleries or Laser Batteries work extremely well that way.

And yes, a nicely outfitted POS with a few gunners can easily repel a fleet of 30 manall by itself. While having more than a 100 Million eHP to chew through for the attackers. Double that if they want to reinforce the modules first.

Basically everything that is wrong with Citadels today was done right with POSes 20 years ago.

2 Likes

So tell me if you want to moon mine or pull, you have to do it the same place as the position of a pos, moons are big, can you just move around a bit or is it locked to same point

Oh I knew blasters are not used in the video, it just seems like he was carefully setting up things in a pattern and unless they are calculated from the battery, you don’t neeed to set your ECM symetrically.

Batteries are carefully spread out around the shield to make it harder for an attacking fleet to attack and incapacitate multiple batteries at once, especially with Smartbomb- or Drone-BS that don’t need locks.
Also a POS force field has some dozen km diameter + some additional distance to anchor the batteries, means you force the enemy fleet to reposition, giving you the chance to catch single targets with a gunner or a small support group.

Ah I see, the configuration is to avoid smarts (which don’t care about targeting), not about the battery calculating the distance. This sounds really cool. I kind of wish they just made an array which put moon rocks on grid instead of going to refineries.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.