I am leading a null corp that is newbie friendly. I want to give new members access to BPO library but that require assigning corp role, which makes them immune against kick for 24h. This can be abused by awoxer who then can attack blue easily and even the corp leader cannot do anything but wait the 24h. This mechanic prevents makes corps who want to help new players to get into industry sector, suffer from the risk. I’d like to suggest Fenris to change this mechanics. I also wonder what is the purpose of that timer.
New ppl shouldnt have access to bpos. Lest you lose them.
You cannot lose the BPOs, there’s a corp hangar access level setting which only let them use BPOs but not take BPO out.
The purpose is to prevent a rogue director or other leadership position from robbing the corp blind. The 24 hr rule gives other leadership time to salvage any potential losses.
Imagine one of your “newbies” ends up being a spy and earns actual access to bpos or wallet. Without the timer. They could log in steal ■■■■ and leave before you know it. The 24hr timer prevents them from jumping out
I’d personally only let industry members to have access to corp BPCs. Anything you put in a hangar should be expected to be stolen.
The concern of this post is not about stealing, there’s nothing they can steal if the hangar is setup properly. But even if they stole something, what can you do with that 24h timer? The concern this post mentioned is about Awoxers who can stay blue for 24h and keeps creating chaos during the timer.
And i posted why ccp has the stance they have vs the awoxxers.
No offense, but I think you’re confused. Now I ask you, if someone with a corp role managed to steal some BPO and put the items in his inventory. What good that 24h timer do? Yes he cannot leave corp for 24h, so what?
The 24-hour timer isn’t there to protect you from an AWOXer. It’s there because corp roles can give a character access to corp assets and management functions, and CCP doesn’t want someone with those privileges to be able to abuse them and then instantly sever their relationship with the corp.
Think of it as a cooldown on privileged access, not a punishment or an AWOX prevention system. If roles could be removed and the character could immediately leave, someone with trusted access could potentially do whatever damage their roles allow, drop corp immediately, and be gone before anyone could react.
Your AWOX example is basically the opposite side of that mechanic: because the character can’t instantly leave while roles are being removed, you also can’t instantly kick them. That absolutely can be inconvenient when the person is hostile, but removing the timer would also remove the protection it provides when the person abusing their access is a trusted member or leadership character.
So the real question isn’t “why does the 24-hour timer exist?” It’s whether CCP could separate role-removal security from the ability to remove a hostile member without creating another exploit.
Yes, the mechanic creates an AWOX vulnerability. That’s a downside of the timer, not the reason for the timer
I read your explanation above twice and I still don’t understand, perhaps my reading comprehension sucks. Now lets disregard awoxing issue. After someone abused his corp role, what the 24h timer serves for the corp leadership? What good is it for? What kind of reaction in example we can do utilizing this 24h timer? Damage is done, for example item is gone, now what to do during that 24h? I sincerely don’t understand.
Zelgio, I did some more digging, and I think you made a fair point about my explanation of the 24-hour timer.
Directors and other trusted members absolutely can go rogue and cause havoc. EVE has plenty of examples of people being put into positions of trust and then using the access they were legitimately given against their corporation. That’s why I originally interpreted the 24-hour cooldown as giving leadership some kind of security/reaction window.
But after digging further into CCP’s explanation of the mechanic, I can’t substantiate that.
CCP explained back in 2013 that the old requirement to drop roles and wait 24 hours before leaving a corporation originally existed for technical reasons. They eventually removed that restriction for someone quitting directly to an NPC corporation, while retaining the 24-hour restriction when corporation leadership removes roles before kicking someone.
So, to answer your question directly: if someone has already abused their access and stolen a BPO, I can’t give you a useful action leadership gains specifically because that person remains in the corporation for another 24 hours. The damage has already been done. My rogue-director example was a reasonable interpretation on my part, but I can’t say that CCP intended the timer for that purpose.
However, going back to your original concern about giving members access to BPOs while being worried about AWOXers/corp thieves, I think there is a better solution than relying on the kick timer in the first place.
Corporation hangar permissions distinguish between being able to see/use corporation assets and having Take access to remove them. Valuable BPO originals can be kept in a restricted blueprint division where the people using them are NOT given Take access.
For example, you could have a protected Blueprint Library division containing the BPO originals and a separate working/output division. Members get only the minimum permissions and industry roles required to perform their jobs, while Take access to the BPO division remains restricted to trusted leadership.
This is how EVE U does it to protect their inventory.
Thank you Geo, I appreciate your replies. And if I may add, there’s one more way to secure BPOs that even a director cannot steal it, that’s by using corporate share holders vote system. Unfortunately a director can still steal the structure so this security measure only fully works in NPC station. They oughta make Up Well station can be locked like BPO can be.