Corp Skills - encouraging players to join and stay in corps

I did specify that players would have to be in the corporation for a certain amount of time for any bonus to apply to them, and the longer they stayed in, the better the bonus would get for that individual. No one gets any bonus from day one in the corp, no matter what ‘level’ any bonuses are at for the corp.

The problem with the WoW implementation is the perks were not linked to being a member of the guild once you had attained the actual powerful one for group play. Reaching the level requirement + having the guild create the thousand of flask to trigger the flask cauldron perk meant you could buy the recipe and use it after dropping guild. If they had required you to still be in guild to use the perk, you would not have seen people drop as much. If you make corp membership required for the bonus to apply, being in that corp actually start to matter since you lose it if you drop corp and have to re-grind them if the corp folds.

Yes the EVE player base would probably skirt around it at least a bit but it can still make corp membership more meaningful which then open the door to more meaningful inter-corp interaction.

I like the idea of ‘corporation / alliance development’. And it should be trained with time. Not with a members contribution. Otherwise noob alliances with 1000-4000 members will pop to the maximum in days.
Also should not be ‘time training’ only. Because one lone carebear who is running 1member corporation should not get all bonuses in time.
Pilots should have interest to look towards joining bigger and more competent community.

Also bonuses should not be like ‘bonus to bounty’ or ‘bonus to mining yield’. It should be something passive, that won’t bring disbalance.
For example: bonus to reputation gain.

why play with people when you can play with more alts! moar alts!
:rage:

We could all try to show CCP how stupid we think this is but that ship sailed long ago.

I have no problem with the idea of corp skills but even looming through this or seems there are not many ideas that would make a skill worth it but at the same time not become mandatory or overpowered

That kind of bonus is way too strong to ignore. The bonuses listed in the OP would effectively make corp membership not a choice. It would make membership in a big corp not a choice, which… actually wouldn’t change the game very much to the newbies who joined them anyway. You’d still be faceless nobody #123456 because that’s just what happens to people in big corps, so it wouldn’t lead to the kind of engagement with other players you’re trying to force anyway.

Seeing how this is a game about choices, that’s a bad idea.

1 Like

That’s effectively the biggest issue with a proposition along those lines. There isn’t much space between not worthwhile and too good to be passed on.

What about something like in Final Fantasy XIV?

I dont know the mechanics behind it, but organizations there, the Leader and certain officers are allowed to activate 2-3 group wide bonuses that last like a day or two before needing to be refreshed.

Maybe use something like that, for Empire space you could repurpose the charters as the currency for acquiring these “powers”. Not sure how the idea would work for things outside like WH, Null…or NPC Sov.

Guess NPC Sov could have a similiar item introduced…or maybe we could just go with Tags even.
At least something would have to be consumed to get a consumable “Bonus” item to provide extra perks.

Even then you don’t solve the mandatory or useless problem

Pretty much this. The fundamental problem with this sort of setup is that anything good enough to actually encourage people to be in a corp ends up feeling like a punishment for anyone who isn’t in one big enough to basically keep the bonuses going 100% of the time (or as close as the system allows).

There’s already a large incentive to leave an NPC corp and go do stuff. This sort of system takes that tax incentive and turns it into something that actively punishes people in smaller corps, in NPC corps, and basically anywhere that’s not at least a few hundred people by making them worse at combat.

As they said to the man who said he had invented a fecal matter powered airplane: “This #$%^ will not fly!”

some already think its mandatory to be in certain groups for “gameplay style”

Besides if anything like that system was implemented, it could be a punishment as well…

Linemembers screw up turn the bonus off or dont re-up them.

Thing is that if you have several different bonus types, only 2 can be active at one time…
So internal politics? as if we dont have that already.

Sorry Cade,

The OP already said the idea would not or most likely would not work in EvE.
I only gave an example of how to tweak the idea down a slightly different path.

Was not the idea of this OP to foster getting people out of NPC corps, to make people learn Corp mechanics and create corps and alliances?

And im not sure how a smaller corp would be punished in this type of system? havent even seen any discussion on what possible “bonus” could exists and/or be acceptable.
So not going to quote you, but your reply makes you sound more like the trollish mob squad type of people railing for/against an idea just because…

sure you are not under new management?

If you read up you’ll find my objections to anything that essentially forces people out and into a playstyle they don’t want due to a stats disadvantage. If someone wants to stay in an NPC corp, for whatever reason, then that’s fine.

If whatever bonus this is costs enough for the cost to matter at all to anyone larger than a small corp then it’s likely to be prohibitive to a small corp.

If you make it scale off of corp or Alliance size then that creates an incentive to kick even slightly less active or AFK members, especially at the sizes between “very small active corp” and “Goons/NC/PL/ect”.

1 Like

Not sure how such as what i proposed would force anybody from a NPC corp, it still a choice a player makes base on things that go beyond the scope of this, there are reasons people bounce in and out of NPC corps all the time.

The cost i mentioned was using or repurposing the Charters from LP stores for this to pay as a currenecy for these “bonus”. This means acquiring LP, using the LP store, and keeping the LP costs for the charters the same. Now as to how many charters you would need for bonus, idk that would be up to CCP in such a system.

Also it would require the CEO or Director’s to use the acquired bonus not line members, so the CEO/Directors are the ones that would have to acquire the Charters, and if they want to “try” and force line members to buy these charters…well i wont get into the discussion of good/bad leadership of corps here.

yeah great plan force people into a game play they don’t enjoy.

either the bonuses will be too good to pass up or not be worth the time.

if they are to good to pass up then you are now forcing people to grind up LP that’s just bad

What I’m saying is that joining a corp should never feel mandatory to succeed in something like solo PvP. The whole concept of stats bonuses for corp participation is fundamentally flawed in this respect. Then again IMO so is the core concept of what OP hopes to achieve with this. You’re not actually making people more social if you force them into corps, you just have a lot of people doing the same things they always did but with a different acronym next to their name.

I was just going with “costs” as a nebulous concept. The whole charters thing has its own issues, since you either force corps to have a mission running group as part of their membership, or people buy the charters off the market which probably ends with them being pretty cheap (just look at Faction Ammo).

In either case the core issue is the second part, how many of the things you need.

They still need to fund the whole thing somehow, whether that’s off of taxes or something else.

The problem remains the same now matter how you slice this.

Ok, not to derail the thread but…

No one gets forced into anything now or with this idea.
I will use one of my own corpies as an example…
He has issues with not wanting to play as Alpha, but he wants to plex his accounts if he can without paying RL cash, only if he does he then quit playing far beyond his ability to re-plex in the time left to do so.
Now
I have explained to him how to do missions and use the LP for ISK making.
How to run missions and grind rat loot to build things for himself.
How to use scouts and mine in nullsec, or even run anoms there.
How to go scanning for stuff.
How to fit ships for different tasks.
How to gank for cash
How to do a great many things in the quickest amount of time to make the ISK he needs/wants.

I never force my people to do anything, but yes i get frustrated a little when someone makes the same complaints over and over on the same issues over and over…it gets tiring, will i give up on them? no.

But on the other hand, I wont hand out plex or pay for his subs. As a CEO it has been I feel my responsibility to provide the ability to use our Corp Prints fro personal gain, to provide an Ore buy program that competes with Jita prices, and provide SRP when necessary, for example I won SRP exhumers in nullsec, but i will a barge, if someone doesnt want to listen to me on that respect when buying such things out of their pocket there is nothing i can do. Want to fly an exhumer then do it, just dont come crying when you cant plex when i wont replace it because you lost it.

But really back on topic…
The onus should not be on the Linemembers of a corp for this.
If a corp says they provide these type of bonus’s then the CEO and any Directors better get up off their rear ends and provide it, not make a hostile environment expecting their members to provide it, they didnt advertise it, the CEO did.

Back to the original topic.

I can see the reasons why people think this has some demerits but consider that CCP are already doing something like this.

At the moment there is a penalty for being in an NPC corporation (11% tax on bounties) so there is a disadvantage to being in an NPC corp. versus being in a player corp. where you can set your own tax rate.

Giving benefits to someone for being in a player corp. is equivalent to penalising people for not being in a player corp. and personally I think carrots are better than sticks.

we are not talking about gun to their head forcing

we are talking about giving people in corporations a major advantage over those who are not. All that is doing is making a particular playstyle far less viable. and the independent play style is not in need of such a nerf.