CPU spikes rendering game unplayable

I’ve copied this thread from my Reddit thread. I have a 6700K and a 1080TI. I should be able to run a single client of this game without any issues.

I will play for a little while, and then randomly, it will spike to 100%ish CPU usage. This causes my entire system to stutter, audio to stutter, etc. It will go away for a bit, then come back for 5-10 seconds, then go away, etc.

Has anyone found a solution to this? With the age of the game it makes it very difficult to search for solutions. I just installed the game completely fresh after years of not playing, last night.

I was suggested to check the launcher for the option to download everything. This turns off streaming assets. It solved the issue for a period of time, but it has come back again.

I am currently playing the game with audio turned off, so it is not an audio issue. I’ve run through everything I can, and as best as I can tell, EVE is the culprit.

There are days I can play with ZERO issues, even with another (entirely different) game open, or multiple clients. Then there are days like today where just idling in space somewhere, I get spikes to 90% CPU usage, and 5-10 second entire computer freezes.

Sounds it’s an issue with your computer, if eve suddenly spikes up cpu usage sometimes then your system isn’t allocating resources correctly. Might be a virus or outdated software

Are you leaving the launcher running ? I was having odd performance/hanging issues (running on Linux under Wine) and eventually cured them by killing the launcher as soon as the client was up and running.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.