Create an *ACTUAL* Downside to Player Piracy

Lies. You have therefore been disqualified from stating your objectively wrong opinion. This message is endorsed by the Asteriod And Space Rock Liberation fund.

Lol, looks like it needs some more effort to turn this Arivexel specimen into a PvP player.

thats why this post exists

Nice ideas. Let me know if killing gankers becomes easier, if it does CCP MIGHT see some more of my money. Until then, my wallet is closed. Sorry CCP, I don’t expect special treatment. I do expect gankers to be penalised and to be able to shoot them easily.

1 Like

That they are penalized is why you can’t shoot them. The existence of antigankers is rendered almost completely unnecessary by CONCORD and FacPo. If a target would be FFA because of low sec status, FacPo is already going to be on them in a few seconds if they sit in space for you to shoot. If they commit an act of aggression, CONCORD arrives in a few seconds and kills them.

The skill floor to be more effective than these all knowing, tireless NPCs is high just as the skill floor to operate as a ganker under these conditions is high. You can’t have NPC forces that blow up all the easy targets and still have easy targets for player AG forces to shoot at. These solutions are mutually exclusive.

5 Likes

Gankers are very easy to shoot. You just need skill to do it. If you can’t pull it off it is a skill issue, not an engine issue.

2 Likes

You haven’t spent a lot of time working with killrights have you?

1 Like

Specifically, I’m getting at “suicide gank” fleets. They stay in station until easy prey is within reach. I’m all for foolish pilots, or just foolish decisions getting punished. That Rattlesnake I lost in Gheth was my own fault - I wasn’t auto-piloting, but I was taking a chance in carrying so much bling. A foolish decision for which I paid.

What bothers me is that the ability to “stop” a suicide ganker is practically not there. I’m working on a few ideas of course… (I do relish spitting in a bully’s face, even if I get a black eye for it). But the options are looking pretty bleak. I think that the risk for suicide gankers (~10M per ship) is extremely low for the reward.

For instance, I’m looking at a way to be able to neutralize 2x of them as they undock - I think I can do it with ~ 5 accounts/pilots. But I’ll have to put about 700 million isk on the line for my current plan. IF I succeed, I’ll only take out ~20 million in value from the outlaw. So my R:R ~= 35:1 (700:20 in isk directly). And I’ve got to be very precise with my targeting, since there are usually 10+ on grid - If I mess up, I’ll at best get one, and quite possibly none. Even in the best case scenario, the rest of the fleet will proceed to their objective and still make bank, since they planned on losing those ships anyways.

Maybe I need a better plan, I will keep working at it. However, consider the R:R of a gank fleet of 10 Catalysts and one T2 industrial, lets say worth 200 mill all told (seems fair based on what I’ve seen on zKillboard). In this case, the outlaw has an R:R ~= 1:2 (100:200 mil. ISK raw).

Obviously, if I don’t get ganked during the effort (inevitably it will happen at some point) the comparative ratios aren’t enough because on a per-effort basis, I might not lose my ships (or won’t until the player and their buddies decide to take on a hard target for once), while the outlaw will lose theirs to security, if not to me.

If I was able to succeed in taking out TWO gank ships on each/every of 35 attempts, WITHOUT getting counter-counter-ganked in between (unlikely since I’ll have to be in space most of the time), I might break even. It’s not balanced. - AGAIN - Maybe I need a better plan with a better ratio, but I haven’t found one yet - I’ll keep refining it.

Mind you, I’ll do it anyways, because the idea of even 1/100 times prohibiting or stopping such a player from getting a kill is enough to give me a wet dream. Clearly I have an anti-bully complex approaching the magnitude of the complex required by my opponent(s) here… but still, I think the game would be more fun were the two paths more equal in R:R.

NOTE I know this will come up… The reason for the disparity is not the fact that my fleet will have half the ships that theirs does. Due to the nature of their (broken IMO) strategy I’ll have to be precise with my target(s) having two of my ships share a target. Conversely, a gank fleet has it much easier, focusing on a single target.

Clearly more than you have, because if you knew anything about the criminal mechanics in HS, you would at least know that you don’t need to have a KR to dunk a -10 toon. But as one can see via your empty kb, you are just a bear that never undocks.
F
@Arivexel You have already shown that you lied earlier, so everything you write here is irrelevant. No matter the length of your text, your argument stays invalid.

@Your_Awesum_Brutha - Referring to when I picked up the wrong target, I presume? Should I then base the merit of your arguments on your name’s obvious inability to spell? Of course not! That would be either the “fallacy fallacy” or inverse “framing effect”. I’ll partake of neither, thank you.

If that’s the best you’ve got then, I’ll have to assume the point in my previous comment is one in which you can’t poke actual holes. Victory would feel good… But I’m sure you can do better than that…

Please try again. Maybe I’m missing something. If I am, it seems worth discussing . :grinning:

Or maybe it is just another Lucas alt.

2 Likes

It doesn’t seem so “unnecessary” to me… The amount a gank fleet can take from a player (even one flying responsibly), versus the ganker’s risk in the endeavor is very skewed. Since we can all have alts to fly places your outlaw pilot cannot and loot the spoils of your outlaw’s kills, there are very easy workarounds to all of the current consequences.

I’ve learned much since my original post, and have devised a couple strategies for combating players who do this. I doubt it will work out “well” for me, but I’ll try because there’s nothing better than stepping on a bully’s toes. After all, that’s really what this is whole “JAMES” movement really is: a childish excuse for venting a desire to bully others. To be fair, a video game is definitely the best place to let that steam out.

But even with all that my opinion of my original point (“there is no actual downside”) still stands. Be my opinion right or wrong, nothing yet said has proven the ratio to be fair or even truly/purely indicative of one’s skill or level of effort.

Not saying that those who do this aren’t good at the game. But exploits alone don’t prove that.

Just put all 5 accounts in griffins with green jams and jam out 5 catas as they attack. Cheap and effective. Just because you’ve come up with an expensive Rube Goldberg machine to stop some gankers doesn’t make ganking broken.

2 Likes

I thought about something like that, but I’d have to know where and when they were attacking. Having no idea who their “scout” pilot is, I can’t really do that reliably.

I can figure out their home station obviously, but trying to follow them through warp isn’t a safe bet since I won’t know to which gate they’re warping until they’re already in warp. I could guess based on alignment, but sometimes gates are very near each other from a distance.

Unless you’re after specific dudes, just camp one of the 0.5 chokepoints on a trade route. You just need to be where there are targets like freighters.

Yeah that might be worth a shot… I’m trying to be less “exposed” of course. I feel like at a gate camp like that the chances of me getting counter-counter-ganked are pretty high.

Since my opponent(s) are playing the more cowardly “hide in a station until engagement” method, it seems I can still feel “morally superior” hanging out in instant dock range. Ya know… bar being so low and all…

Actually, to your point… If they’re ganking me in cheap ships, they’re not ganking a profitable target. So, you have an excellent point really - it’s still more of a loss for them than it is me. Cutting into their time:profit ratio is a solid win, even if only a “moral victory”. Just sad that’s where we’re at mechanically.

They actually can repair their status using tags and isk so if suggestions like what you stated come into effect then it would be good news to the Miners who bring those tags to market.

Or great news if the highsec gankers decide to devide their game time up with actually farming the tags themself (they are easy to farm using a Tank T1 long range missle BC) this helps slow down the amount of Highsec Ganks if they went that route.

1 Like

see the thing is that gankers help keep the market flowing because they buy the ships to blow up other ships ganking been a thing sence the start of the game and i dont see it changing now

Absolutely! I’m not saying “it shouldn’t be a thing anymore”. I’m saying that the profit margin is drastically out of whack.