CSM 13 - High Sec Issues/Suggestions/Ideas

My suggestions:

1. Bring back the player to corp/alliance flags like we had years ago when you looted stuff from someone else. this would give your responsibility of your loot back. Since CCP changed it, every random player can kill someone who looted a wreck of someone else.
    -> New flag: thief flag
    You get it by looting a wreck of someone else.
    Runs for 15 minutes
    Is a flag between you and the corporation of the owner of the wreck/can(if the owner is in an alliance, all
    members of that alliance can also engage that player for 15 minutes, also applies for NPC corps)

2. Wardec: There was the idea of making you immune to wardecs if you don’t have structures. This would make Hi sec too safe. No one should be immune, there are better solutions I think:
    Limit the duration of a war to maximum 2 weeks and after that time, the same corp cannot be again wardecced for 30 days. Wars can no longer be made mutual(except red vs blue). A corp can not be in more than 5 active wars(to prevent mass wardeccing like it is done by PIRAT etc, but also leaves holes for abuse open).
    Another thing that could be interesting is the friendly fire option: If a corp has friendly fire enabled, it should be harder to wardec that corp(higher cost to wardec and maybe 48 hours until the corps can freely engage each other). If the corp has friendly fire disabled, then it is easier to wardec the corp(much lower cost and only 24h(or less) until the war starts). This would also bring some dynamic into the choose of the friendly fire in corp management. Some one man corps might decide to enable friendly fire to make it harder to wardec them at the risk of getting awoxed easily, while some noob corps decide to turn off friendly fire to remove risk of awoxing while beeing more vulnerable to wardecs.

I don’t know where you’re getting your numbers from in regards to the size of the entire active playerbase.

The Abyssal Sites were designed to provide exactly the experience you’re suggesting - they’re doable in less than hour, they’re dependable at lower levels and there’s still loot you need for crafting, skill books and the like, and they’re fun. I’ve lost plenty of ships in there, but I had a good time and it was the best PvE I’ve played in EVE in ages. I like them.

In all of this talk, I have yet to see you present an actual idea to address any of these issues besides calling everybody else clueless.

It sounds like you just want new missions with higher payouts. Is that it?

I think you’re too optimistic on how willing people who have never engaged outside of logging in will be in taking any kind of questionnaire or focus group.

I do a lot of that stuff IRL, and absent some kind of reward (real life focus groups routinely pay $100-$200 for participation) you just don’t see people participating in large enough ways to be meaningful. Polling isn’t an exact science and given the tools CCP has already made available - the forums, CSM, in-person meetups, Fanfest, even reddit - I don’t know if it’s justifiable spending the amount of time and energy tracking down players who largely aren’t complaining and just playing the game to ask them what will make them keep playing.

I think it’s better to rely on folks who want to be engaged.

My intent towards HS is the same as the rest of the game - I want the players who play there to enjoy themselves and keep subbing.

Folks say similar things about null. This is the same as in real life - folks often want solutions to their particular problems, regardless of what the impact of that solution is on somebody else.

In the end, we need ideas - we can weed out the self serving ones and hopefully a few good ones remain that will help make each area better.

1 Like

We had this discussion earlier. The suspect flag does not make running these sites any less safe than running them in null sec - it makes running a level 4/5 in highsec the equivalent of running any level in null sec - and in nullsec the capital umbrella doesn’t cover everywhere, and you’re unlikely to survive long enough for a cap response to save you in an Abyssal ship.

My but you are dense. The cap cover doesn’t come to save you, it’s sitting there from the start…

1 Like

A deterrent isn’t a deterrent unless there’s a legitimate chance that it’s going to be used. Go read a book about the Cold War.

1 Like

In other news, intel channels in null have been proven to be a myth. Filament riders are being hunted like duck all over (enter the deepest, safest of the blue doughnut) after raiders routinely traverse 20 jumps unnoticed.

1 Like

Yeah I read that. Just seems a lot more ate being ran in null sec and wormholes.

At least that is what I am seeing. Anecdotal I know. There seems to be some truth to it.

I hear all day long that us nullsec guys shouldn’t tell the highsec guys how things are in highsec because we don’t live there.

Nullsec is huge. It’s not just Delve. Intel channels are not infallible. If somebody is hunting in the right ship - any cloaky T3C that can refit to combat - they will be able to kill filament runners, and the size of the killmails + the loot is enough to get them to do it. And there’s not much that the supercap umbrella or intel channels can do to stop it.

Of course highsec is safer, bad guys come with red flags and warnings. It’s not as if they’re neutral grey straight until they shoot you.

Since nobody is red not blue, highsec is the safest space for a suspect flag, specially if you don’t want to PvP.

If you’re done contributing anything of value, stop posting.

1 Like

I’m inclined to give the generic, more stuff needs to be destroyed, high sec is far too safe despite the lower rewards.
Missions can be done with almost no risk, after the mining barge rebalance the safety of mining went up considerably which impacted everything.
Hacking became super safe for a while until ghost sites and sleeper cache sites were introduced.

Most answers I gave in that survey were useless. I mean they should know better than I do how many hours a week I spend in game. They should know better than I do how many AD sites I ran and all of that. Don’t they collect that kind of data? Is there no team to analyze it properly?

To connect to people who don’t go to forum/reddit, who don’t fill surveys sent via rl mail, you could make an in-game survey. Make it a Concord agent/interrogator who asks you several questions then gives a reward, as a short text quest/mission, for RP flavor.

1 Like

About safety of mining, I would like a rebalance in terms of tank on the barges, put away from the skiff and procurers which have too much imo, and some more on the 2 others kind. With a better even base tank players could choose more between yield and gank or tank and safety.

That is Procurer/Skiff’s job. You choose Tank, Cargohold, or Speed. The sacrifice for cargohold is less ehp, the benefit of speed reduces that cargohold more but gives you hella output.

The thing with the bigger or smaller orehold is that we can jetcan, I don’t know for others but jetcan flipping is not something I see anymore.

Not a true issue maybe but I think there’s one too many things on the skiff and one missing on the mackinaw, skiff has (of the 3) best dronebay, dps, tank (his supposed choice) and slot layouts), mackinaw has orehold (his role) which can be tricked around with a can, and that’s it. If I’m sure I won’t be bothered much I’ll fly solo a Hulk, not the mackinaw, for the same price, same gank-risk, more yield and convenience with range of lasers.

Mr. Rubal,

In my opinion, this comment

was uncalled for. You are an elected representative of the player base and you just blatantly dismissed a very vocal member of the player base who, whether you realize or not, has consistently engaged on these forums in an attempt to present, in my opinion, worthwhile feedback to CCP on what highsec pve players find engaging and wish to see more of in game.

I realize you found her comment worthy of rebuke, but she was replying to your comment

and typing that was insulting to her.

Let me explain why. Abyssal sites are anything but what she and various other highsec pve players want. Anything But.

The abyssal sites can be run by one class of ships only, cruisers. You can’t run them in an assault frigate just for fun like you can for a level four mission. So, you can’t be creative in your fits (and survive).

You have to pay attention to them cause you don’t know what you will face, so you can’t relax while you’re doing them or even anticipate relaxing while running them…like you can with missions.

In an Abyssal 4 or 5 if you lose a ship, you’re gonna grind a while to replace that ship, if you live in highsec. You lose an assault frig in a lvl 4 mission goofing off, it’s easy to replace.

Your comment just replicated the very attitude that highsec dwellers find insulting, cause you commented without understanding their position.

As I understand it, highsec players such as Yiole, and there are a lot of them, do not want “heart racing” excitement in their game play. As she and others, such as Jenn Aside have pointed out time and again…they want “puzzles” that have numerous ways of completion.

They will compromise on rewards, they will compromise on safety, but what they won’t compromise on is boredom or unease.

PVE players in highsec, as I understand it, want to solve npc mysteries. As an example: can I run this mission, which I normally run (and is recommended to run) in a battleship in a cruiser, or destroyer, and which one, and how will I fit it. How long will it take. I’ve got an hour and half to spend. Can I do it?

That kind of puzzle.

So, yes, more missions, more pve but open ended in the sense you can run it in a wide variety of ways, in a wide variety of ships and fittings. Taking as much time, or as little, as they like.

One of my best friends in game can afford anything he wants, he’s played since beta I believe. He flies battleships. He buys larger ships and flies them on Sisi. I asked him once why he didn’t fly these ships on Tranquility. He replied he didn’t want the excitement. He works, he has to sleep at night. An adrenaline rush is the last thing he wants, so he doesn’t pvp. He avoids any EVE situation that might cause an adrenaline rush., but he loves puzzles. How to fit the ships, how to run the missions.

So, as near as I can tell EVE players fall into one of two camps: those that are chasing that adrenaline rush, and those that aren’t. EVE can cater to both.

And did so in the past.

So, using the example of Abyssal sites, if you could run Abyssal sites in a wide variety of ship types, battleships, cruisers, destroyers, with a wide variety of fittings, short range, snipers, with a wide range of loot some of which was incredibly lucrative, like ded jackpot drops, and you could jump out of the site, if you got in over your head by experimenting with your “fun” fits, during your precious few hours of time between family obligations and work, then yes they might be exactly what PVE players have been asking for…for years.

But as they stand now, as near as I can tell, from a highsec pve player’s perspective they were just another waste of developer time, like resource wars…because they are a puzzle with a limited number of solutions, that, if run, cost precious relaxation time from real life with no suitable reward.

6 Likes

if you’re going to a problem with “in my opinion” situations then when the person starts it a return to it is also equally incorrect. In which case you also have an issue with:

Sarcasm being used to answer sarcasm.

In Null, we have trained up many new bros in null with absolutely no problem, high sec is an illusion that trap’s its users in an endless grind for very little progress.