CSM 17 Summit Review

A fobbit! Might have known.

Cheek. Although I have worn uniform, I was not wearing one at the time, but was a different type of government servant, and still am.

I used to have to go sausage side without the benefit of a weapon, just my wits, charm and stupidity to keep me safe.

So a contracted cook, then…nothing wrong with that…no need to be embarrassed of that at all.

Oh my! Well, in any case, glad you are ok! Good thing you have those traits in abundance!

Ha ha ha. If I was a cook, I would have killed a lot of people!

Was a “real-life-profession-score” a topic at the Summit, to judge the value of peoples arguments at the forums?

1 Like

Notices most of the new forum posts are about Photon's problems

1 Like

great write up @Brisc_Rubal & ty for your service - i am glad that you left invigorated - that gives me peace of mind that things are being shepherded in the right direction.

1 Like

I read at Ancient Gamin Noob’s that the current CSM had a talk about PvE around Angry Moustache’s PvE concept and as usual the clueless wolves and the clueless shepherds apparently agree that sheeps don’t die often enough. Surprise!

@Brisc_Rubal In a way, i am still waiting all the way since July 2018:

…and still got nothing.

Really? Because I just went back through that thread and in about two seconds I found somebody making a suggestion (about war decs) that ended up in the game.

We didn’t have a talk, by the way, about Angry’s presentation. He gave that presentation to CCP (and another one with Ken) on his own. Just like Mark gave his, Arsia gave hers and Jinx gave his. We didn’t discuss those ideas, those were just what he put together.

Glad to see you’re still playing.

1 Like

Speaking of which, I know you have been bullied into not running again but most of my flames are out and I am thinking of going back into the fire one more time. Did the summit mention the election timeline at all?

m

1 Like

It did - I expect that info will be out with the minutes here soon™.

2 Likes

Oh, I haven’t played since 2017 (but logged and did some stuff in sometime in 2022? Or was 2021?), but I found interesting how some people still talk about PvE without PvErs, an overarching subject I’ve been following online since the POTBS debacle. And thus reminded the conversation we had on how PvErs issues were not issues, and looked at how things have turned out… The EVE forums are my social club, so to speak (bullsheet, cat pictures, and music). I haven’t given a dime to CCP in well over 5 years but still resent all the wrong turns CCP took and how they killed the game EVE could have been. Nowadays not even Chinese sneakers can keep the numbers up, the company is owned by a bunch of Korean incompetents and the question still is when will EVE die, where is the threshold below which the economy collapses…

1 Like

We’re already there. The prices of everything on the market has gone up 75% and there are less and less independent manufacturers in the game.
A Catalyst used to be no more than 700k not two years ago. Now they’re sold for 900k to over a million isk. I’m sure that helps new players…
It’s the same for all other ships and modules.
Prices have gone up so dramatically that they resorted to giving hundreds of thousands of isk for free so that players can afford to buy a destroyer and have just enough left to fit it best they can with the isk they have left.
I saw the writing on the wall for EVE when market prices ballooned beyond the reasonable. Couple that with less manufacturing and it makes a domino effect they’re only able to counteract by seeding the market.
It really sucks to like a game that’s dying due to bad management.

@Yiole_Gionglao I would’ve liked to give your post a thumbs up but just like [they] don’t give information on a silver platter, [they] don’t give Likes on a silver platter either.
I wonder how a game company has managed to keep players by being such tightwads.

1 Like

Rumors of EVE’s impending demise have been greatly exaggerated.

3 Likes

Most of these issues started when CCP decided to make EvE a bottom up economy. It never works, in real life or a game without price controls, always leads to hyper inflation.

That’s a bit of an understatement, it’s ALL OF THOSE ISSUES.
The changes to moons that now require mining to get did more to push out smaller groups than it did to change moons away from being crazy isk faucets – now only the big guys with complete safety nets can regularly harvest R32/64 and the small-mid sized groups have their harvesting plans on intel with planned fleets to stomp them out. 75% of R32 moons and all R16 moons generally aren’t worth bothering with, and lowsec moons are lol as you will never be able to harvest anything out of them without paying all of the profit and then some in “protection” money, which would still leave you vulnerable to random smaller hunting groups to the point where it’s a stupid idea to even attempt.
CCP’s plan to make moons require effort to print isk as opposed to the old PI style of system has done so much more to consolidate all moon goo into the hands of the small number of folks who already had it all than it did to open the boundaries and allow smaller groups to get a slice of that pie. It also gave those small number of folks so much more safety when doing so – no longer can I sneak into an empty area of nullsec and drop 5 siphon units, and no longer do the nullsec groups need to bother with intel and checking their area of space regularly, they only need to worry about the timeframe when the moon harvest is ready.
So many stupid decisions that consolidate the market into the hands of a few, and we are living through the mostly obvious conclusions to those stupid decisions.

The changes to industry that make every aspect of manufacturing require materials that need to be harvested from every part of the world just made the high costs of capitol production spread out to be competed with all other manufacturing. T1 battleships were especially hit hard with this, and T2 modules right next to them with a material cost increase and subsequent significant price hikes across the board.
The changes to pirate ship manufacture made all frigate hulls more expensive than battle cruisers, and all pirate cruisers priced to where the gila was and yet profit margins on those hulls dropped hard down to about the same as manufacturing a T2 hull.

The only “silver lining” in these changes is that WH gas is lot more lucrative as the bot miners that infest nullsec and highsec cannot safely mine them.

hyper inflation only occurs when currency is printed at an absurdly exponentially increasing rate. Isk generation is very linear in Eve, which almost precludes hyper inflation from happening.

That said, the manufacturing cost and reductions in material availability across the board have an impact of increasing the value of all items across the board, which increases the cost of the items.
You can tell the difference by keeping track of the value of the common minerals, which really hasn’t changed much.

Semantics aside, this step increase has a hugely negative impact on newer players, as the “cheap” ships are no longer within the isk generation capabilities of those new accounts. The 50k isk from a mission to buy a 150k isk module compared to the current 650k isk cost of that module really impacts the ability of a newer player to have notable improvements to their one ship while they do the career agent missions. Finishing all of the career agent missions and having a few ships given to you and one or two bought from the market fit with rigs and a combination of T2 and meta modules has changed to…you can fit one the ships given to you with t1 modules after selling the other ship given to you, and with either no rigs or very close to a 0 isk balance with rigs.
Bypassing the economy to give free stuff to newbies cheats the spirit, but one could argue that it is a necessary short-term compromise to get new accounts enough material to actually start interacting with the game in a meaningful way – which should be a temporary fix while a better long term solution to keep the new player experience up to par and able to handle the current realities of the market that CCP made.

Rome did not fall in a day. The intent is to move away from that downward trajectory, and at times it really does feel like CCP is at step 0 of the alcohol anonymous process with respect to this problem.

2 Likes

I am hardly a doomsayer but am greatly for mechanics that incentivize decentralization. More numerous groups with smaller member count at play sewing all sorts of chaos.

CCP already knows how the basis of how decentralizing forces works with diminishing returns on stacked modules („stack module penalty“).

We all know this won’t happen though because big numbers create headlines that CCP leadership finds pleasing, and the people that have the most to lose are the most powerful.

1 Like

Unfortunately the optimal solution to decentralization/complication of resources is having more people/chars. Without a direct nerf to being big, small groups won’t be able to play in the big boy league. A big group today can do all what a small group can do, plus better. it’s the optimal way to tackle EvE, if you are striving for min/max.

It’s certainly possible to live and have fun as a small group, and find your niche, but you need to stay relatively poor to keep yourself under the radar of the big blocs.

IMO it’s efficiency what strangles the game in the long run. Min/max over having fun yolo. Both can not fully co-exist, as you need like-minded opponents for a GF for example. CCP needs to foster “fun yolo” and curb efficiency of numbers. Not easy.

2 Likes

I completely agree. And yes, it isn’t easy but the biggest part of the solution is to accept that there is a problem and I don’t see CCP doing that. They have changed the game over and over to make life easier to larger groups and to make it easier to wipe off smaller competition from the field. In my opinion that has skeletized the foodchain and power accumulation in this game to a degree that is not healthy because it limits grassroot growth of newer and independent groups just too much and makes it way too lucrative to feed on their destruction.

1 Like

As always, people not in big groups view the big groups as the problem and want to see them nerfed, completely unable or unwilling to recognize that doing that is the quickest way to kill the game.

1 Like