December Alpha Skill Disaprovement

By BB, do you mean Battleship (BS)?
I know BB is the correct abbreviation IRL, but might confuse some in EVE.

No large T2 weapons.
Im not sure of pirate BBs.
The blog I just checked seems to suggest they will be available.
Iirc, faction weapons are not rated as T2.

I dont fly BBs, nor L4s, so I dont know how capable a skill-set restricted Alpha BB (faction or not) will be at completing them. I would expect you have far better completion times with a well skilled Omega BB capsuleer though. SP really does matter and there are significant multipliers that Alphas cant train into.

Alphas also have implant restrictions, which further reduce their efficiency as compared to an Omega L4 runner.

OK I just checked. Alphas can use faction BSs, as I just shipped into my Navy Raven. They can also use faction cruise missile and torpedo launchers. The only thing I can’t use on my current set up is my MJD, which is a bummer, but it looks like Alphas can certainly run L4s no problem. I had an Alpha alt also ship into a Nestor. There were a few more T2 modules I couldn’t use on that one, but nothing that couldn’t be easily replaced with meta or faction. I don’t have any “pirate” BSs, but I don’t see why they’d be different.

Would L4s be easier as an Omega? Well yeah, but they should be.

2 Likes

I can use my Machariel as an Alpha, but not the ‘Scout’ Artillery guns, and not the MJD either (like you). As for the rest of the Omega fit, I’ll have to jiggle around; the mid-slots were suspiciously darkened too…

Heigh-ho :neutral_face:

Guess you never tried faction warfare.

yea alpha’s can use some nice things, but by being omega I get +5% for the bs 5 skill (x2 if a pirate BS) +5% for the weapon’s skill and +10% for the t2 weapon spec skill, and I think some small percentages on a few support skills that get locked at level 3 or 4 for alphas.

There are a lot of small things that add up to something that may be significant.

so take customers that don’t pay and convert them to paying customers? How is that a bad thing for CCP? Every plex in game is there because someone bought it and using it for omega or injectors is a conversion for CCP.

yep, a ton of Omega only stuff, and I pretty much need omega to play the way I want to play. But there are still a bunch of activities that the changes open up for alpha players to get more established in the game.

I think it’s the combo of alpha and omega is greater than just omega, or omega and limited alphas. I think most of us already here are hooked on omega, I know I need it for just about everything I do. But a lot of people on the fence that were never customers, will become customers, and it doesn’t really cost CCP anything extra.

With the old trial accounts it was play for a few weeks and either you are in or out, the conversion rate was never really all that great to begin with. The introduction of alpha may have increased their stay some, but I doubt it helped the conversion rate much as alpha gameplay was pretty limited. Now it will be interesting to see what happens, even if they don’t convert to subs, they may buy some plex for alpha injectors and that’s money for CCP.

I guess that leaves the question of how many drop omega for the new alphas?

some of us are time rich cash poor, and/or have to deal with currency exchange rates.

Sorry, it doesn’t. I’m not sure how vast your experience of Eve, but it isn’t vast enough obviously. Something like that could be said only if you never leave highsec systems. Yea, you can run incursions in t1/faction bs hull with t2 guns and officer stuff, but when you move to lows/nulls, or wh, things get complicated. You suddenly need at least one scout account, and it must fly coveops if you value your time (alphas can’t use cloak of any kind), you need t3 cruisers to earn a decent isk, if you do exploration in nulls you must fly a cloacked ship or ceptor as well (you can do without it in wh, I guess). Even if you farm npcs at belts, you’ll benefit from a cloack installed, otherwise there are good odds you’ll get rected by a profficient enough roaming gang.

This all is out of reach for alphas (and hope it will stay so). So CCP just hid the hook deeper into bait, giving alphas opportunity to invest more time into game so that one day they would discover they now must pay for omega to proceed to a content of a higher level. And if they will decide to stay as hs carebears for eternity - then it perhaps not that bad, more targets for wardecers and suicide gankers.

Once you progress enough, it gets worse. You now need t2 hulls, cynoalts, capital pilots of your own etc. You want to run a decent PI or production/research installments - you must pay for omega as well.

I honestly don’t see the problem.

The initial alpha clone seemed very minimalist to me… 5m SP? That’s nothing. Now they get to go to 20m SP if they use injectors that match closely to the idea of being omega for a day, once per day.

Neither of my accounts finds this set up acceptable given what I do with them. So, i remain subscribed as normal. As a benefit of being subscribed, I don’t have to log in each day in inject skills. I can just set amarr carrier V or whatever and take a week or two off if I so choose. This benefit alone would keep me subscribed even if they went full free to play with no SP limitations but required injectors to get SP every day.

Alpha clones means more people in the game. More people is better. Maybe some people will choose to go from omega to Alpha… that is fine. So long as the added population brings them extra funds above what those clone downgrades lost them (through players returning due to extra popularity and subscribing, plex, etc) then all is fine.

You can’t use dailies on 70mil sp char, the limit is 20mil sp, past this you can learn only as omega.

Pretty sure that isn’t true. The 20 mil limit is the sum of all the alpha skills. Not an arbitrary cut point. You just can’t put any sp into omega skills or ranks till you are omega.

Yup, this. You can use alpha injectors while alpha and the resulting 50K pool SP per day can either be spent on approved alpha skills or upon the conversion to being omega status dumped into omega skills.

The actual total amount of SP in allowable alpha skills is within the region of around 20.4 million. And CCP actually makes more money by having people able to use them to fill in alpha clone skill gaps even while their omega sub is currently “down” than by denial of use… because the items cost plex thereby making CCP a profit.

OMG Welcome to EvE Classic lol

My skills are so 2009 again lol

That is the pattern we’ve seen creep over the industry.

I’d wonder if this is part of the reason hisec is so populated by farmers who don’t like leaving hisec: they know they’re at a serious material disadvantage vs. the people who have bought the power. Someone’s bought power with PLEX, but they don’t get to farm the people who traded them product and ISK for their PLEX.

Whales like to buy and use power, but nobody likes to have unstoppable force used on them. It’s… not fun. This is the house of cards of most modern commercial multiplayer games. The people who want to be the unstoppable force but can’t afford power… well, eventually learn there’s nothing there for them. As that pattern developed across the industry, people who wanted to keep up but couldn’t found something else to do or went bankrupt (not joking) trying to keep up. If the power to do something interesting costs $OMGLOLWTF, your playerbase isn’t going to be very big. In an MMO, that translates to “no content, failcascade incoming.”

If anyone remembers the Dead Space series, the microtransactions that killed the third one were absolutely tame by today’s standards. No lootboxes, just a bunch of stuff you could buy in the cash shop for a few dollars each. Then the industry pushed and saw what it could get away with, intentionally trying to get people to spend literally thousands of dollars on things. It had to take a step back this year, but you can bet it’s going to try again when it thinks it can get away with it.

The other part every MMO (including this one) is that feeling of progression as your character gets stronger. That’s why all the carebears carebear in any game: they like learning to optimize a system to progress fastest. It’s not the rate of progression that’s interesting, it’s the process of finding out how to do something faster. Once you’ve learned all there is about how to go fast, there’s not a lot left. The skill system was an accidentally clever way to make this take longer: the optimal way to do things changed as you got more skills. Putting injectors in the mix made it really easy to ruin this aspect of your gameplay.

1 Like

Giving away BCs, Battleships, and Cerebral Enhancers like popcorn. Far cry from the day of grinding missions and ratting to afford Skillbooks to afford better ships to afford attribute implants to train skills quicker, all that without a skill queue (therefore logging in at early A.M. hours just to start training the next level, let alone another skill).

Bitter Vet whining aside, the business must bend to the realities of the marketplace and the social landscape of younger players.

I, too, savor the time spent trekking up the training mountain while sharpening my gameplay, and really appreciating the stronger ship capability as a skill level is reached. Glad to be able to focus and have patience, quite quaint the aptitude I hear…

2 Likes

Battleships was a bit overkill IMHO but all in all the new Alpha skills are a benefit in my opinion.

• New players can test more of the gameplay before they buy a sub.
  • Players that can’t sub for any reason (parents/partner won’t have it, flucturating income) have a good option to play EVE beside the boring grind for PLEX
  • Veterans coming back to EVE can jump into most basic ships. (And I gues that is the point why they allowed any T1 and pirate ship up to BS. They wan’t the players that come back to be able to just jump into the game again. Gila roam up tonight? Go for it! I think this is a great feature.)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.