Dev blog: Black Desert Online makers Pearl Abyss to acquire CCP!

They sold because they have timed out in their strategy.

Happens with all investors. EVE is a solid product, and a gaming company can best utilize it.

Really hope they don’t do more pay to win as mentioned- I already feel second class citizen subscribing yearly for a decade, while others pay cash (or plex) buy injectors and essentially reach same skill level to achieve same mining income, or ratting etc…

Ask me ANYTHING! But only as long as it’s PA approved.

2 Likes

Again, that is not what it means.

I just had a cringe thought what if they have some kind of pay service that gives you module and cargo insurance… what if they have another that makes you invulnerable in high sec… my head is spinning please let this not be the end ahhhhh

Someone tell me it’s gonna be okay

4 Likes

At least it’s not Tencent.

But EA would probably been better.

1 Like

it was funny when falcon said it in ama too
he said we are a wholly owned independent subsidiary
lolwut

Only one good thing during AMA, catched 2 more Ancient Relic Shard by fishing near Heidel …

Actually I would expect ship skins that improve performance first (since we already have skins). I.e. 2% higher resists across the board for lifetime skins, or 6% increase across the board that lasts until destroyed. They would fly off the shelves…

They could lower sig radius, raise sensor strength, add damage, add speed, or even add more expensive skins that combine effects.

In EvE a 2% advantage is noticeable, the P2W possibilities are nearly endless.

EA has made Madden now 23 times, if you are one of these “customers” who buy the same game over and over and over again, I really don’t know what to say to you. But I encourage everyone to look at the history of their MMORPGs which all have failed horribly or have the audience of a theatre. I highly doubt EA will ever make or buy another MMORPG because not only are they just bad, no one outside of that theatre group will play it.

As an investor goes, I cant see why anyone would invest in EA, when they have something good, they bought it from someone else, where everyone soon quits over outrage of how its run. Sure EA is a billion dollar company, but its wasted, with endless recreations of the same titles and no original thought.

EvE is different with its watchdog playerbase. If CCP decides to start implementing code that is intrusive, we will all find out. If CCP decides to go full stupid with some Pay-2-Win aspect, we will all find out. I have no confidence something will be done that I won’t find out about. I also think CCP has a good grasp on the consequences of such actions because once an MMORPG gets a bad wrap, it tends not to be ever forgiven.

2 Likes

As long as it is guaranteed that eve stays basically as it is and will never become a p2w game, this is not bad news. I think the new owner group understands how fundamentally important it is to leave the game working as it is in order to survive and they want it to live, that’s a huge part of the deal.
However it is important to remember, that eve and CCP always has been ‘owned’ by their shareholders and therefore it has always been part of the plan to “make good businesss”, the game eve online, the world itself and the mechanics were of course never physically owned by the players but by bankers. Since this investment is not worth anything without the player base, I wouldn’t be too quick shouting “eve is dead”. They have said that many times over the years.
I believe it’s gonna be like Hilmar Veigar said: this way eve is ensured to truely live forever.
Greetings, :wink:

There are no guarantees in life. I completely expect there to be changes in EvE. This isn’t meant to be negative or a rumor. PA owns CCP, they now set the rules. It would be very naive to expect that everything CCP does will remain set in stone. Have you worked for a company that’s been taken over? I have (and still am). Change happens slowly as the company “learns” how the original systems work. If EvE does somethings well, I would expect PA to incorporate those (if possible) into BDO and vice versa. People that are predicting EvE going P2W are just looking at the track record of PA and anticipating those actions continuing here. PA owns CCP, not EvE online, but CCP. They have paid a lot of real money to be able to tell CCP what to do. They are not beholden to the players, only their stock holders.

But here’s the rub, there’s nothing any of us can do to stop this. What is going to happen, will happen. The only thing you can control is your reaction to any change. Besides, EvE is hardly perfect, maybe PA will push for some changes to fix some obvious problems we have.

Reading the interview with the CEO of PA, some things stood out to me. He’s obviously going to push for expansion into Console and/or mobile platforms. Right now this seems difficult to imagine, but who knows. He also mentioned (twice) about expanding EvE’s market.

“We also hope to further our market growth with Eve Online”

“At some point in the future, our hope is to more closely align the teams to capitalize on each other’s strengths and successfully collaborate to take our games to new players around the world.”

Being that EvE’s been rather stagnant (at best) over the last 5 years or so, to think that nothing will change, seems foolish. So I fully expect some changes that push EvE closer to the mainstream or average gamer (hopefully without wiping out it’s core support). So the question becomes: EvE will change, maybe slowly at first, but do I want to play EvE with it’s changes? Only you can answer that. Personally, I’ll wait and see. I expect change will happen, and I’ll evaluate the change and whether my enjoyment of the game is diminished. It’s really that simple.

1 Like

and they did what? Spit on the hand, shake and promise they will leave eve alone? spend huge bags of money for nothing in return? People still belive in marketing crap?

2 Likes

This may sound silly, but we, the players could buy CCP back.

We could run a kickstarter / indiegogo campaign in order to buy CCP back.

I’ve done the math… it’s possible.

2 Likes

So basically everything stays like it was before?

1 Like

If there is a big push to P2W, powers that be aproved botting or other cancers we play Eve to get away from, what will you do?

1 Like

i’d quit and go play something else I played EVE for way too long

If they ruin this game I will just leave and get back to WoW or LoL

I just came back and I intend to stay. Extended my subs today and bought 2 MCTs.
I don’t believe big changes will come to Eve, if anything I hope some aspects of the game will be exploited more to promote the game.
I’ll stay for as long as I like the game and have time for it.