Dev blog: Calling All EVE Online Designers - Fanfest 2018 Mouse mat Design Contest

lol, no.

Tis better to presume than to assume because when you assume, you make an ASS out of U and ME.

Also according to the dictionary:
Assume
verb (used with object), assumed, assuming. to take for granted without proof:

1 Like

Pfft I’m not gonna give a frak about T-shirts until you buttholes give me back my TV and couch… Y’all already took away my in game browser and jukebox, wasn’t that enough buttholeness?

1 Like

Awesome. Where in gods name did I say, I want to buy photoshop?

I said that photoshop is not the god format for pictures but everything that is not photoshop is excluded for no apparent reason. Jesus Christ, read dammit.

I mean, GIMP is completely free and can export .psd files just fine

4 Likes

Its called a freaking MOUSE PAD
Not a mouse freaking Mat

Lol wtf is a mouse mat?

Some hipster newage ■■■■?

People without Photoshop can use GIMP, which is a free alternative that’s reasonably solid. (Yes, that is the program’s actual name, it’s a backronym, GNU Image Manipulation Program - search for that instead if you don’t want to look up gimps on your computer).

Shipping on EVE store merch is too high for me to even bother looking there. Surely you can have it dropshipped via either AliExpress or Amazon instead. Not used Amazon a lot, but getting small parcels sent to Australia from China through AliExpress is cheap and I assume Amazon isn’t too different.

1 Like

7.75"x8.25" - where 7.75 is the height or the width of the pad?

1 Like

I think it’s safe to assume (this seems like the word of the day) that the smaller number is the height. But wait! 7.75x8.25 is quite small isn’t it? Especially if you are a gamer. And the actual pad will be only 7.5x8?

By the way everything in EVE is using the metric system, but this contest is using imperial. I know, it’s because of the DPI, but I still find it funny.

1 Like

Yeah… No thanks. Looked at the prices there one time, laughed and closed it. Haven’t been back since.

Unless you guys start start using child labor and sweatshops (call Oprah if you need advice on the subject), ill continue to pass on the overpriced hoodies.

2 Likes

Simple explanation is that it wouldn’t be economical with the amounts of merch we’re moving. We used to run the store ourselves way back in the day and then we had the stock in Iceland, so we were shipping across the Atlantic both ways.
Then we tried running it from our Atlanta office for a while and both those options ran at a loss.
Our main goal with merch sales isn’t profit because even if EVE is the best game ever…not everyone knows that so it’s a niche operation to run a store with EVE merch :slight_smile:
We think of it as a service but it has to pay for itself and not be a drain on our main operation which is making games.

Since those days we’ve ran with partners. Partners take the load off us, they have all the deals and processes in place to run a store way more effectively than we do. They have multiple customers and that cuts down on the collective overhead, they have great relationships with suppliers so they can get everything faster and cheaper and in more variety than we could.

We have a great partner now that’s very flexible and good to work with, but they’re US based and while that happens to be our biggest merch market, it means shipping across the pond is a pain. We’ll keep trying to figure that out but our conundrum has always been that we fall between the cracks a bit in terms of our market size. Global store providers tend to prefer customers that can bring them greater volumes of sale.

It’s an extra service but one that we’d love to be able to provide equally, globally, and we’ll keep our eyes open for solutions. Hope that explains things a bit.

8 Likes

That would fit nicely:

6 Likes

In many countries that speak English, like … ooh I don’t know… like England, that is exactly what we call it because it certainly isn’t a pad.

Well, here in America we call it a Mouse Pad.

That’s your here, not my here.

In English (British) it’s entirely right. And I don’t much care for English (Simplified) :wink:

3 Likes

I would accept ‘pad’ as a description of the old fashioned heavy weight foam rubber backed variety (e.g., “it’s padded!”) and ‘mat’ for thinner, non-padded versions.

A chair mat for example, is something that solidifies or protects a carpeted surface so wheeled chairs can easily roll around.

I believe Mouse pads first came about because mice with roller balls in them would lose their grip on hard surfaces after a while… a higher-friction semi-firm cloth surface gave them something better to grip onto, while they accumulated lint and potato chips. (The… prototype for Katamari Damacy?) When mice went optical, the mousing surface could be just about anything.

1 Like

Good i am glad we all agree that this contest is about designing Mouse PADS

The Dev even just stated that AMERICA USA USA USA is the merch stores largest purchasesers.

So if Americans are largest Store base, PAD IT IS

2 Likes

OK,

@CCP_Guard said it, I believe it and that settles it.

People used to call them mouse matts years ago.

That’s exactly why you should design stuff that isn’t appealing only to people who know the game!
The hats look cool and futuristic, even if you only make 4 color schemes with the empire (or even without any) logos, I’m sure you could sell them at gaming and other “nerd cons” without problem.
Scale models are the same thing! People who are interested in models would buy them because the designs are cool, and this is something we don’t have yet, unlike tanks or airplanes by which the market is currently flooded.
Yes, EVE is a niche game, but if you aim your merchandise to be a niche market of an already niche market, you won’t make anything but loss.

1 Like

Britain, Hipsterland since 1066.

1 Like