Dev blog: New Chat Backend Coming With The March Release

A lot of things wouldn’t work then since the Launcher and all Download on Demand is hosted on AWS.

Since XMPP does use certificates, can you use your sso token to allow corp / alliance channel access?

Does this mean that Tidi will be less straining on the server as it doesent have to account for all the chat? giving us a better experience in large fleet fights?

This is a great back-end change. I look forward to your solution, and of course do keep a close eye on bugs.

1 Like

Log on SiSi and take a look.

Nope.

Amazon do AWS. If they were stealing their customer data for use, there’d be a total shitstorm over it, and people would flee the service.

There’s not even been a whisper of it happening.

Sounds like a good step to be taken here,

Will it also be possible to group types of people in the list of peeps in local,

Like group, show/hide people blocked,

hide peeps in your fleet from local or other demographics, so users can manage to clean up the local list. like the over view window.

Players live across the globe with vastly different ISPs and internet conditions. How are you going to mitigate the ping difference to the main cluster and AWS instances? I am concerned this change might cause de-syncs between the main game and chat contents.

1 Like

Are third party clients allowed to connect to the XMPP server? Or is that still a no-go?

What stops me from firewalling connections to the chat cloud and ceasing to appear in people’s locals? (Unless local will no longer be based only on chat.)

1 Like

Would this be a step into a future where we would be able to move the chat windows outside of the eve-client window?
I can imagine that corp leadership would want to use an extra screen to put all the chat windows.

Answered here: Dev blog: New Chat Backend Coming With The March Release - #24 by CCP_Explorer

2 Likes

Chat’s a lot less latency dependent. I could inject a second into the times for chat, and I doubt anyone would notice.

1 Like

The chat server gets notified about your actions.

1 Like

Not in this first round.

1 Like

NP! Looking forward to eventually being able to play around with this, the use-cases are endless! :parrot:

Yes, we are confident.

1 Like

If its hosted all of it at UK, ICeland of where-ever, distance still will be bad for some, better for others…

Kind of a non-issue still…

+1, 3rd party chat would be amazing. Less need for 3rd party IRC/other chat protocol, just have the channels and have/use eve auth on a user based login.

1 Like

Will this adversely affect bots, spammers and and other assorted villains?