Dev blog: New Chat Backend Coming With The March Release

Hi -
As one of the 0.4% who uses eve voice, i am curious where the March update came from… Not present in the upgrades pages, i see no mention of a date in the dev blogs. Can you please tell me the date at which point Eve voice will be disabled ? Our corp has planned a major event that we are used to having Eve Voice available to the new players we invite, (no additional software required, we don’t have to train anybody on how to DL, install, and setup some other software) early in the month. And since we know its really Vivox that runs the voice piece of this chat software, i suspect rather than being a barrier to the 64 bit upgrade, its more a matter of CCP not wanting to pay the licensing fees since such a small portion of the playerbase make use of it, which is understandable. Just my guesswork, i have no factual basis for my belief. :slight_smile:

Vic

1 Like

will this adress in any way the chat log parsing to feed intel warning programs ? cancer of nullsec hunters

im scared the xmpp technology it will be even easier in some way, and it already is super easy the way it is today

1 Like

it will strengthen it in the long run, rip u :smiley:

Does this give me any advanteges (f.e. cool special text colors) because i am an amazone prime user? If not: why?

Hello CCP, I’ve been having this idea for a while, and since you are considering making changed to chat it seems like the right moment to sugest a huge improvement to local chat.
I would absolutley love it if you would impliment a blue/neut/red indicator in the top of local. I live in 0 so scrolling throu local to see if neuts are in system is a manual and tideus task, you could maybe impliment 3 small icons at the top of local saying for eksampel 42 (blue/purple/green icon) 10(grey icon) 4(red/orange icon) .
This would make all our lives so much easyer since ratting in a system with 100+ people online scrolling throu local searching for 1 grey/red can get really, really boring.

This is the negative side in living in a rich pve system, many flock to it and it becomes less safe because local is flooded, and for us dudes that like pvp going into a system to have everyone immediately dock up is boring as hell, the reason why there are 5 hour roams with no content. Making this even easier for people pveing in null (risk vs reward) makes no sense it should be even harder with a 2 second delay of someone showing up in local after they have jumped, keeps people on their toe’s with d-scans.

1 Like

Chat-log saving is still a thing, and i don’t see why CCP would get rid of it

Technically this new technology update is making it much easier to automate the gathering of intel because third-party clients can technically connect to the ejabberd server that is ran by CCP, allowing them to listen to presence updates and send messages to channels.

I’m not going into the details of how one would do this, but i can guarantee you that this is very simple to do.

1 Like

@CCP_Snorlax & @CCP_Explorer i hope you guys are aware of this an have a plan to keep things under control

rip hunting in nullsec

That explains, why I get “page can’t be found” instead of launcher two times out of three.
Can’t you guys stop using wrong solutions to right problems?

1 Like

It´s freightening isn´t it? Until yesterday I never looked into this ejabberd service but when I read about the stuff here I decided, hey, you´re working in that area just not with chatserver stuff so might as well have a look. Man, this will be happy times for script kiddies.

1 Like

Yeah and this is also important for third party programs like near2

0.4% is actually a figure that highlights how the critical function of eve voice has been left behind by CCP.
If Eve is to no longer be a stand alone program it will mean that your customers are forced onto the grace of third party software manufacturers… Where is your security now?

2 Likes

How will you deal with local in wormholes, will people still show up in the access list and is there a way for a user to get at that access list?

Love this thesis. Thanks for the link. 7 years of waiting…and this becomes true. CCP good move.

I think what they mean is that the Local LIST of pilots is handled by Tranquility, but the actual text messages are handled by the external service. “To ensure [the Local LIST of] everyone is updated, the Tranquility server [updates everyone’s Local LIST of pilots] with the departures and arrivals.” I think that’s what they’re trying to say.

There’s a few ways they could handle that. One would be simply that Anoikis doesn’t have ‘local’ XMPP groups. Gone completely. Another would be that you join anonymously until you speak.

Don’t be silly. If anything, whenever things get easier for our idiots, they get dumber. You’ll be fine. They’ll keep dying, and we’ll keep laughing at them.

Every major MMO (no matter how briefly ‘major’) experiments with in-game voice. Some of them even manage to not suck. Eventually, all of them give up on it, for a number of reasons.

First, in order to use it, the game window usually has to have focus. So if you alt-tab out, maybe you can hear things, but you probably can’t respond. That’s annoying and inconvenient, especially when compared to chat systems designed to be running in the background, as opposed to being built into a client in the active window.

Second, built-in chat software requires active connection to the game. ‘FC, I DC’d’ is not an uncommon thing to hear on mumble/TS/etc. With in-game chat… there’s no notice. No way to tell your friends ‘hang on, client froze, be right back’. You just have to hope they noticed, and you didn’t get killed on the gate when they all warped off without you. You also can’t be hanging out with friends who are playing a different game, just being social with your buddies. You have to be logged in.

Third, it’s reinventing the wheel. An in-client chat system is something developer time, effort, and payroll has to create and then maintain, or an outside license has to be secured. Either way, the game company is paying for something that… really, other people are already doing, and doing better. So you’re sinking money into what will inevitably be an inferior system. And that just doesn’t make sense.

5 Likes

How about remove the idiotic CHAT BUBBLES!!! We don’t care about any other ‘chat improvements’ you might or might not bring…

2 Likes

Will the new chat support Complex Text Layout fonts and stacking characters? The current chat does not support stacking characters, which excludes Arabic, Devanagari, and other Brahmic scripts.