Dev blog: The Agency - Helping you find PVE content in New Eden

Can you submit a bug report please and link me the number here?

I am curious what machine spec you are on? This obviously should not be an issue, but this is something we have seen a couple complaints about but have been unable to repro internally on our personal machines but also on the min and rec spec AMD and Intel.

I am also curious what solar system you are in? and what filters you are using?

If you can include all this information I would happily investigate this some more as we want this feature to be something you want to use, and slow loading times will not encourage people to use it!

Thank you for the feedback.

1 Like

If we are forcing players to go and use a 3rd party tool to get information that we are already providing, then we should be doing a better job of supplying that information in the client. I am aware there are lots of cases where this is not happening, but it is something we feel with The Agency we should be doing.

We are never telling you exactly what ores are in a site at any time, we are telling you that possibly there will be these ores. If someone has beaten you to them and they are all gone, then you will have to explore to find a site that has some left.

We are also never showing you ore or ice sites in any system that is not the system you are currently in. Note the difference between Asteroid Belts and Ore Sites (Anomalies).

2 Likes

I can see both sides on this one, so I’ll leave it to the miners to raise concerns if they have any

Before you had to actually travel to a system to know if a cosmic signature or anomaly was up. The new system tells you that by just looking at a page. It ruins immersion. Instead of telling people to go explore eve you tell them exactly where to go. Where is the fun of discovering things no one else has found? Also this makes exploration much worse for new players. Now that no work is involved in finding cosmic signatures and anomolies, they will be found much quicker by veterans and wiped out. You basically made it so that in any given area everyone has peferct knowledge about what is around. That helps vets more then new players and increases competition for the limited sites. Essentially you made it so that the cosmic sigs can be stampeded as soon as they are up especially since the agency icon flashes at u and tells u when new sites spawn.

1 Like

Have you actually tried this is the client?

Yes. I have. Was using it last night. It showed that there were a certain number of sigs in a system I was interested in ( can’t remember if I was in that system or next door). But later as I’m sitting in the system the icon flashed at me to tell me that a new sig had spawned. Personally I think it’s way too much information being provided.

Yes, we show you the number of sigs in your current system and only in your current system which is something we already do in the Probe Scanner. If you are seeing other systems this is a bug and you should report it through the F12 menu.

You are correct, the icon flashes when a new sig appears, but this is also something you can easily see by just having the probe scanner open. If this becomes a massive issue or exploit we will take another look.

1 Like

Done, EBR-136004

Thank you.

What’s up with the red star banners on some cards (e.g. the Serpentis Burrow below)? I tried running one of the sites but there wasn’t anything interesting there.

Red stars just means new entry since you opened the agency panel

2 Likes

Ah, thank you!

Same issue on a 2012 model mac mini with 8gb and an ssd.

It takes a long time to load, increased filtering reduces the load time but still slow.

Agent finder is depreciated?

I hope you’re wrong.
I just used the new Agency interface to find specific lvl 5 agents - Took me 5 clicks (different setting options) to find 2 agents
Did the same with Agent Finder - In 2.

I’m thinking The Agency is the one that is depreciated if ease of use has anything to do with it.

And that map background in the Agency - WTF for? It is unusable due to the nature of the new map not being very user friendly (probably why it is still an optional use thing after so long). It just isn’t close to being as useful / user friendly as the old map.

Suggested - Not sure what this is based on, how it selects “suggested content” for the individual but 3 of the 5 “suggested” things, I am ineligible to do due to agent standings.

On that same subject - It is suggesting “Resource Wars” as possible content for me. Now my understanding of this new content was, you needed to work through each level (starting at level 1) to proceed to the next - Why is The Agency telling me I can take part in level 2 and 3 “Minor Imperial Mining Expedition” sites when I haven’t any standings due to not having completed anything to do with Resource Wars?

It actually presents things (Ore in system, Ice Belts) that are actually not available in the client currently, only via Dotlan

Or by simply undocking and looking at your probe scanner and overview.

It seems the new Agency UI does a great job of duplicating already available information - And little else.

“The Agency” UI needs to be detachable from the map, just like scanning interfaces are.

1 Like

I’m not particularly interested in UI only features. Because that is website design, and not game design.

So, for example, I like the dueling wager feature. Great idea. I haven’t used it yet, but might. It adds functionality and enhances game play between pilots.

I would love it if FW allowed small to mid sized fleets with point based totals to engage in ded space pockets. Keep the UI, and bring us this extra feature, and I will not speak of the faction cruiser I lost to the burner fighters of gurista today.

Them gurista fighters is NASTY, yo. RIP Viggles.

This is one of the best features I’ve seen in a long time. I don’t know everything there is to do in the game or how to access it. But this feature makes it REALLY easy for me to see where combat sites, resource wars and signatures and such. It let’s me know when there is an event going on and what I can do to participate.

To me that is VERY useful. I get it that if you already fully understand how to search for everything this won’t be of much help to you. But I LOVED this introduction. It’s one of the simple things that should’ve been included at launch and it only served to help people. There is literally no downside to this.

1 Like

It’s this attitude that is killing the game and has stopped it from reaching a slightly broader audience. Giving basic information to someone isn’t spoon feeding. It doesn’t hurt you that the game is providing a list of POSSIBLE ore in a belt. It doesn’t tell you for a fact that the ore is present, it just gives a list of possible ore for that field. It’s a slight thing that can help people. Most people already memorize or put it in their bio’s anyway.

Yeah, you make a good point. Kinda weird that Eve doesn’t have its own wiki style game manual.

I think part of the problem is the depth in the game. I’ve been playing for years and I still learn new stuff all the time. I’m constantly amazed by how many legit fits there are for different scenarios.

Actually it’s my opinion rather than me having an ‘attitude’. Knowing where the better ore is as a miner in hisec gave you an advantage over others who didn’t. In my opinion this makes the game a teeny tiny bit simpler in that respect. Since CCP deem this fine then I don’t care, I raised my point, they answered.

1 Like

I like this new feature. Well done! I look forward to having other similar elements of the UI (like the Agent Finder) removed to help tidy up the game interface.

One thing I would like to see in the next iteration of the Agency is a way to indicate “do not suggest this to me” for the Suggested tab. For example, I’m not in Faction Warfare and am not interested in joining so it’s pointless for the Agency to continue to suggest FW combat sites to me. If I could do something like right-click on a particular suggestion and choose “do not suggest this” or “hide this” and the client would remember that it would make it easier to use the Agency on a go-forward basis. This “excluded” list should be accessible so a player can reset or tweak it later on as they see fit.

[quote=“Sakaane_Eionell, post:39, topic:33515”]
One thing I would like to see in the next iteration of the Agency is a way to indicate “do not suggest this to me” for the Suggested tab. For example, I’m not in Faction Warfare and am not interested in joining so it’s pointless for the Agency to continue to suggest FW combat sites to me. If I could do something like right-click on a particular suggestion and choose “do not suggest this” or “hide this” and the client would remember that it would make it easier to use the Agency on a go-forward basis. This “excluded” list should be accessible so a player can reset or tweak it later on as they see fit.[/quote]

I agree with this, to add further customization options for players to pick and choose what The Agency shows us, though I propose a simpler solution: Just put checkboxes by every category in the “Specify” bar, and allow us to tick off what we don’t want to see. Faction Warfare has an empty checkbox? The Agency doesn’t show us Faction Warfare sites.

1 Like