Dev blog: Upwell 2.0 - Structures Changes Coming On February 13th!

Sure, but the reason why this tactic is so powerful isn’t because of the structure itself being hedged out due to the distance, but because parking on a friendly structure in range allows one to deaggress and tether if a counter-escalation occurs. With tethering being denied because of fighters in space, this escalation can occur.

1 Like

While your answer certainly does work, I would argue that nanoplating doesn’t require capacitor. Active hardeners do, sure, but if plating can be fitted on a ship why wouldn’t they be fitted on a static structure expected to be in space forever with the inherent need to be cap stable?

2 Likes

While your answer certainly does work, I would argue that nanoplating doesn’t require capacitor. Active hardeners do, sure, but if plating can be fitted on a ship why wouldn’t they be fitted on a static structure expected to be in space forever with the inherent need to be cap stable?

ships don’t have damage caps, lmao

1 Like

I don’t disagree with any aspect of what you’ve said. I would argue however that a citadel should be able to swat down fighters. They’re far easier to target than frigates.

Allowing for the fight to escalate is a separate issue from carriers being able to shoot a citadel with no way for the citadel to effectively shoot back. Yes, with tether being broken by launching fighters the carriers become engagable, but the citadel itself remains completely hamstrung. Feels like it voids the Rock/Paper/Scissors argument.

2 Likes

First reinforcement cycles last for between 22 and 50 hours,

“No night off for you! Back in the hole, Slave! Who said you could have a life!”

TIL, CCP really is as bad as people say… sigh

4 Likes

GTFO on large/XL structures absolutely ruin any chance of these changes having a positive impact.

Axe that and these changes are pretty ok.

1 Like

I like most of these changes, nicely done! I do have one ciriticism though.

Why do citadels still take so long to kill? It’s an improvement for sure but we’re still looking at 3 fights + 3d 10h minimum per structure vs the 2 fights + 1d17h maximum on a POS.

4 Likes

Because Citadels are not POS. Citadels are outposts, and outposts also took 3 attacks to take over.

3 Likes

The same can still pretty much be done afterwards. Abandon fighters and tether up if you haven’t aggressed. But this does widen the window in which they are vulnerable to attack.

This also has the side benefit of making gate-camping carriers on structures a bit more risky as well.

2 Likes

@CCP_Fozzie I am going to use you as a mention. But this is not a personal thing. Since I know you are on a team.

I am going to say this globally. And try and bring this as constructive critisism.

Most of the feedback earlier provided by the playerbase on the Upwell mechanics was based round the fact that like the sov system its not a fun mechanic to deal with. And it provides little incentive to do so. Non of those concerns are being adressed with this. What gives ?

Much of the feedback was also focussed on the fact that fighting on the upwell grid was extremely difficult because of the void bomb which allowed basically only one ship to stay on grid which was the machariel. Yes now I will concede that the voidbomb will no longer be a issue. Yet it is being replaced by a superweapon which will make people avoid the grids even more. Combine that with a increased lock range and you have yourself a recipe for no fights on a citadel grid ever. Why was this decision made? Who came up with that Idea?

Most people prefer for those upwell structure to die easier not make it harder. Yet a whole array of choices seem to be counter intuitive to this desire by the playerbase.

When I am reading this dev blog. I can honestly see the good intent and I am sure you guys have good intent with it. But I dont think this way will achieve that. Far from it I fear it might actually be the cause of more stagnation when it comes to conflicts.

1 Like

Because Citadels are not POS. Citadels are outposts, and outposts also took 3 attacks to take over.

outposts did not have AOE weapons, tether, or ewar.

2 Likes

Could there be invulnerability period of 5 to 60 minutes after repair timer has completed. The purpose is to allow a bit of time to change the fitting before attacker damages the structure again.

1 Like

Praised be Bob for this wonderful update. Goo in the wild west… Give us an occasional Ice field, and we’ll never bother you (or anyone) ever again.

2 Likes

So this combat rebalance…screws the little corps even harder. The old POS’s a 2-3 man corp could defend…now unless you have a larger fleet than the attackers you are boned. How does this promote use by the little guys again?

I’m still not a fan of the 15 minute repair timer completely resetting the progress. As someone who used to bash POS’s for a living, there were occasionally times when it was not physically possible to be online and shooting the tower the instant it came out of vulnerable…so if a rep fleet wasn’t there i could have time to not leave work early and rush home…and i could finish the job when i got home. But now if it lands just 15 minutes (with the variable 2 hours) too soon…all my efforts are for naught.

edit:
how the heck do i get this double name thing to go away?

4 Likes

Very exciting and interesting changes, I’m glad you listened to our feedback through the CSM proving their importance to the community.

I believe the opposite is true with regards to void bombing and superweapons (burst projectors). Changing it over to a weapon like a burst projector has quite a significant impact on how the action plays out.

For starters, it needs to be aimed. This will introduce inherent imperfection to their application.

Then there is the spool-up. This gives a clear advantage to fleets that are mobile enough to dodge the incoming neutralization. This is somewhat hampered by some other aspects of standup weapons (webs, scrams, etc), but still much less oppressive than the bombs were. Assuming the other problems are dealt with, a mobile fleet could essentially avoid the neut completely.

Lastly is the method it’s applied. The way burst projectors are fired is a fairly skill-intensive system that is fairly difficult to get a good handle on. It also means that every time it is fired, it requires the attention of the gunner, taking them away from other tasks, or possibly missing the cycle timers a bit.

Except in rare circumstances, bombs are basically fire-and-forget, always hit their target, and are uninterdictable.

Depending on the final values, this could be a much better improvement than what’s currently used.

2 Likes

Why isn’t the repair timer going to be linked to tidi?
This is a massive bonus to the defenders.

5 Likes

Regarding highsec (0.5) and wormhole moon mining – what minerals are going to be added? I’m assuming it’s R4s and maybe R8s.

1 Like

Wasn’t the original plan only normal ores with their +15 variations?

1 Like

Yeah, I think so. Still, I’m cool with it.

1 Like