Dev Posts

The old forums had a very prominent “Dev Posts” button. I am guessing there is a way to get that here but it is eluding me at the moment.

Please note I want to see all dev posts, not just Dev Blogs or Official post but everything.

How do I get that please?

1 Like

You can see all developer posts here:

https://meta.eveonline.com/groups/Developers/activity/posts

:heart:

2 Likes

And you are supposed to look into this category when you brows through a topic? :thinking:

Your ideas of “solution” really are something else… :roll_eyes: On the one hand, this forum with the cancerous infinity scroll is supposed (?) to improve reading flow of a topic, on the other hand you remove vital functionality to that end or make people leave a topic in order to read select posts of that topic.

1 Like

Thanks.

But … how do actually navigate to that point? … If I lost the link, or a new user comes across expecting to find similar functionality to the old forums?

OK I figured out how to navigate to that point … but the point still stands, on the old forums its there as a one button press option.

I feel the ship balancing comment should apply to these forums, “if you could fly it before you can fly it now” … “if the function was there on the old forums it should still be there”

1 Like

Hamburger Menu in the top right > Groups > Developers > Activity

:slight_smile:

I refuse! CCP_Falcon, please make eve [forums] easier. too many button clicks hertz muh handz.

1 Like

That still moves you out out of a topic, whereas the old forum gives you the very useful tool to move around inside the topic from dev post to dev post. It’s also 3 clicks just to load the dev → Activity feed. With the same 3 clicks you could have read 2-3 dev posts in the old forum already. Not to mention that your “solution” lists all dev posts, not just the dev posts in a particular topic.

1 Like

Obvious attempt at trying to lessen the accountability of devs. Even on the previous forums, the link to dev posts was just a link to a search. Yet at the time it was clear how it would be beneficial to have quick and easy access to what the devs were talking about instead of hiding it nested 4 layers deep in menus full of nothing else but garbage.

1 Like

These forums have a slightly different functionality, but can be applied to any user, not just devs, GMs, ISD, or CSM.

1. Click portrait of any user
  2. Click “# of posts in topic” filtering button
  3. ???
  4. Profit

The difference is that you get all posts from said user in the thread, and it can only be applied to one user at a time, as opposed to jumping directly to the next post from a group.

1 Like

So, my first comment was a bit tongue in cheek about making eve easy. In reality though, the easier it is to communicate to players and for players to find said communication the overall better it is.

Make Eve easy? Nah. Make Eve dev posts easy? Yes.

Just think about how to best communicate to players or the best way to make such communication easy to locate and filter.

For instance, while your method has merit, I would need to know ahead of time what post I am looking for and who posted it. How am I to know that information on newly released information?
A very simple search filter built into the forums (if that is possible, which I am guessing it would be) could help players find all Dev posts quickly. Especially if the filter was also sorted by age, showing the newest created posts at the top of the list.

EDIT: Before someone challenges this, the URL search listed in the first comment shows me all dev comments not Dev posts and those are sorted by age. So a newly released post may be buried 4-5 deep on the list due to Devs being awesome and actively engaging players in conversation on the forums.

1 Like

Just so I understand correctly

• I think you’re looking for new topics from developers, not necessarily new posts
  • The terms you have used have been posts & comments, the terms above are as defined by the software
  • Both are accessible from the method CCP Falcon mentioned, the group activity defaults to posts
  • Both are shown in the order they were posted, newest first

Is this correct?

1 Like

I simply would like the functionality of the old forums.

Once nice big obvious button that says “Dev Posts”

new topics, old topics, devblogs, lines of disco parrots (good grief)

a one stop shop where I can read the stuff posted by the people who matter … you know, like the old forums have?

OK I’m sorry I’m coming sounding pissy but I’ve been around Eve long enough to remember that there was a trend for Dev’s to pursue “shiny” things rather than fix stuff that mattered. These new forums remind me of those times, they are very shiny, but they do not provide the functionality of the old ones.

2 Likes

The link provided by CCP Falcon is certainly that one-stop shop. If anything it works considerably better than on the old forums.

So, if I were to shove a “Dev Posts” button, for example here…

Would that be a step in the right direction?

2 Likes

I think that would definitely be a step in the right direction. One click to get access to dev posts. :heart_eyes: Would a ISD and CSM be possible to add as well? I assume not much different since they also have their own groups too.

1 Like

Hell YES!

2 Likes

Adding those to the same link structure would be rather stuffy. How about I just add them directly under the hamburger? If they’re missing from your burger, refresh (F5) the site.

4 Likes

That works lovely! Thank you!

People seem to miss clicking on the “developer” badge that would jump you to the next developer post in the current thread. It would be handy if you could search a thread by group, for example search a large thread by group “Developers” to jump to any post in the current thread written by a developer.

I searched it and the code seems to exist but I’m not sure if it’s enabled or not. https://meta.discourse.org/t/advanced-search-posts-from-members-of-a-group/58716

A not-so-great alternative is to use the search button on the top right to search for “CCP” or “CCP_” but you’ll also get @ replies and quotes there. It kind of works, though, in the absence of anything better.

2 Likes

I don’t know what is going on with that but I saw the Dev Posts button whe I logged in earlier and now its vanished, seems like it only appears some times.

Thanks for that though.

1 Like

I’ve changed the location of the dev-posts link, it’s now consistently available - next to the search icon - in the header on desktop view. The other link has been removed. If it’s missing in your browser try refreshing F5

3 Likes