Devblog: EVE 64-bit & DirectX 12

Pay CCP to rewrite whole game and change half of development team. And with partial DX12 support for win7 (they said that this support will be enough for eve somewhere) there is no real point for company to dump money into something that probable will newer return it. I know that Vulkan is better bla, bla, bla… But I understand move CCP.

Actually, there is a lot of momentum behind Vulkan, and there is at least one fully-functional version of Vulkan for MacOS available right now: https://github.com/KhronosGroup/MoltenVK
I believe this implements Vulkan over Apple’s Metal API.

Wine has DirectX 12 support trough vkd3d which is similar to dxvk implementing DirectX 12 on top of Vulkan. I have never actually used vkd3d because there is just a hand full of DX 12 games, but hopefully it will just work.

The day this game stops working on Linux is the day I win EVE.

1 Like

64 bit client for WHAT content ???

1 Like

Mr. “Senior Development Manager” fix your server/servers first !!!

1 Like

Insufficient. DXVK’s performance is miserable when multiboxing.

The laptop is about 9 years old and I think I played eve on it for at least 3 or 4. Newer versions of OSX can’t be installed due to arbitrary decisions by apple, who wish I would just pay them more money for new hardware. Only recent versions of OSX support the QT library used by the EVE launcher. No doubt there is a good reason for the upgrade from one QT library to another and CCP devs are probably doing due diligence by keeping things current, its not a good situation where the program to start the game has more limitations on its supported environment configurations than the game itself.

Can always install Bootcamp and run windows on it? Or if thats a no-no/go, look at VMware Fusion or paralells, it’ll allow you to run eve in a VM with WIndows in it…

That’s pretty cool that C++ is still relevant after literally decades. It’s a pretty robust language.

If you have a moment, and for clarification, will all/part of the new 64-bit client continue to be written in C++, and will that part still be called Trinity?

Also, will there be any affect to old content such as missions, anomalies, and complexes, if the new client is being re-written from scratch?

When EVE used to work on the laptop it wasn’t the best experience due to hardware age, but it worked well enough to fly from a to b in high security space on potato mode. I’m tempted to try boot camp, though really what I need to do is save up for a new computer, or at least a newer used one.

Content will not be affected.

The only difference a player should see, is that their client can take up more ram, if it should need to.

1 Like

If you can, and if you are addicted to macOS, check out the refurbished side. I picked up a refurbed i7 2018 Mac mini for what a i5 cost new.
I use an external HD for storage, four USB C/thunderbolt 3 ports allows for great expansion.

Vulkan is a legit technology primordially designed for multicore CPU and GPU systems. Both Vulkan and DX12 shows nearly the same average performance. DX12 runs better (means +/- 10%) on 4-6 core CPU systems under FullHD quality, while Vulkan runs better on 6-8 core CPU under 4K resolution. Of course Vulkan is faster on AMD GPU, while DX12 on nVidia GPU. MS is going towards more open source and cross-platform technologies nowadays and it’s very possible that future DX will be a cross-platform technology like OpenGL.

The most important thing is that both DX12 and Vulkan supports better the multi-core CPU and GPU systems, which means that more ray-tracing and vertices will be rendered smoother. This shall allow to render softer way more ships in space at once.

1 Like

C/C++ is a very fast, robust, scalable, cross-platform language. I don’t see any reasons to replace this (half-machine) language with any new one. The most important and powerful aspect of this language is that “C/C++ doesn’t produce garbage”.

Of course, it has its drawbacks like low abstraction levels, required time for scalability, difficult professional growth. C/C++ projects are big and complex and you must have over 10 years experiency being a C/C++ developer to be hired or you just have to be a fu-king Harry Potter in IT-industry for this (means connections). This is why most of us like so much the coding languages like Java, C#, Python.

In my opinion, C# is the best modern coding language under the best IDE available, which his very hard to match.

1 Like

Thank you! A simple search for my name will show the endless listings where-in I make comments wanting this goal achieved.
And PLEASE Make a Formal system for us to be able to enjoy a massive gallery of Images like the one you have shown. I absolutely LOVE the great pictures from this game.

Hi CCP Devs,

I’ll keep it brief, it’s long overdue for a native Mac client that does not rely on WINE or similar as it’s prone to crashing and results in poor performance. There’s plenty of dev tools and API’s from Apple targeted at gaming that would make for a very good user experience.

Thanks,

Evenstars

This 64 bit DirectX 12 client when connecting today’s Tranquility is like expensive 50$ golden red skin placed at Velator :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Asking for a friend,

Will 64 bit clients share resources or each client will need 4 gigs of ram.

I would love to be a part of the test group to test your MAC OSX client whenever it reaches that point.