Improving The Foundation - Directx 9 Phase Out

Hello,

For the last few years, we’ve been investing in foundational improvements of EVE, such as with the transition to a 64-bit client to set EVE up for a thriving third decade. This is the next step in that journey and it will happen on 11 January 2022. After this date, we will no longer provide a DirectX 9 capable client.

Read more: EVE Online

19 Likes

first :stuck_out_tongue:

EVE Online returns a 404.

DENIED!

“two” late :wink:

:dealwithitparrot:

This is not the topic to discuss that.

6 Likes

One can dream. Maybe in another 10 years :wink:

1 Like

2023, watch the cutting of old platforms.

CCP has waited until the numbers are low enough - they did not rush it.

With less than 1% of players being limited to using DirectX 9

DX9 was good and stable and served the game well. I’m sad to see it go, but I do understand why they are doing it. And CCP seems to be doing it for the right reasons, in the right way, and at the right time - at least to the best of their abilities.

There are still a few that will be negatively impacted, and I hope they find solutions. CCP has encouraged them to reach out to CCP customer support - which means CCP cares to some degree about their customers and how changes will impact them.

I’m fine with the change. But I have one question I would like to ask CCP - will there will be a new way that can be used when debugging graphics issues? (In the past DX9 filled this role very well as a temporary alternative to DX11. So I’m curious, but am guessing there won’t be a similar solution.)

Also Zoiie, you should see the forum FAQ. Llink is at the top of all forum pages in the drop-down menu. (from FAQ: Don’t cross-post the same thing in multiple topics.)

10 Likes

Good initiative.

Consider Vulkan for less headaches, just like SC and modern intelligent people.

I heard it’s a beast in optimization, but I have zero authority on that matter. Don’t get vendor locked CCP. Just a friendly tip.

@Zoiie yes!

1 Like

Thanks for the laugh!

Hell, it’s about time. Nice big grace period, but it’s time to cut the cord finally.

Yeah its been long overdue, finally time to take DX9 out back and put it out of its misery

2 Likes

When they also reach similar numbers of players.

Soon then. The upgrade was free

I already give 2023 as a start date of it going tootsies up.

And nobody is arguing against CCP doing so when the technical debt exceeds the revenue from the players.

3 Likes

I stand by my thesis and of 2023 :slight_smile:

They already killed a MacOS version due to technical debt even though Mac users are increasing.

While removing WINE may have eliminated OS 10.12 and 10.13 users, they actually added more MacOS versions than originally planned for in the native client release - 10.14 was not part of the first build, but there were enough users to add support for it.

1 Like

It’s a moving window, new versions roll in to support, old versions drop out.