Devblog: EVE 64-bit & DirectX 12

Would Eve honestly benefit from it though? I guess maybe if you had two shitty/old gfx cards paired, but I have to imagine that anyone running SLI/crossfire has enough pride to keep their hardware reasonably modern.

I feel like your posting over the past 6 months has been different than before. Like you either hit “■■■■ it” or someone took the collar off and decided to let you go at it. And I ■■■■■■■ love it.

1 Like

I remember 10 years ago running EVE on a laptop with an AMD Turion X2 processor and a GeForce 7150 GPU.

All you gotta do is watch EVE Hell or Clear skies to see how far EVE has advanced graphically over the years. Its pretty impressive. Granted that same machine wouldn’t be able to run it even on low settings anymore, but any 'ol $300 laptop with Intel HD graphics can run EVE in DX11.

For example. I have a ASUS ultrabook sitting here, its got a 7th gen i5 in it, got it for $300, and it can play EVE at 2560x1080 with medium settings in DX11 mode. My cousin comes over to play EVE with me and thats the best guest machine I have right now. Says he runs L4’s on it with no stuttering or slowdowns. This game even runs on my HP Omni 10 tablet, but all on low and the screen resolution makes it difficult to play on.

Im all for this since i just dropped two grand on a new PC but I feel bad for those that cant afford to upgrade. 0.5% is a low number but thats still 0.5% that are going to have to quit or figure out something irl in order to keep playing.

1 Like

because?
Have you seen how games that supporr dx 11 alongside 12 perform? Have you considered the universality of vulcan going forward? Have you considered raytracing being a gimmick nobody will care about in few years?

I suppose it will be easier tho, but only a bit.

That looks extremely similar to SC (that will use Vulcan)

Just wanted to say thank you for keeping Mac users in mind with the transition in clients. I’ve only been playing for 2 months or so but one of my biggest worries was dropping support for Mac, so thanks again. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hope you guys make a neat video of before and after like Trinity expansion. That was beautiful.

1 Like

So i see alot about graphical advantages to the 64bit client but i kind of wanted to know if there would be more general performance related benefits to the 64Bit client if someone could fill us in a bit more with that?

Better extremely late than never!
Now when I brag about the graphics I won’t have to hear the retaliatory comments about this issue.
I might even get some people to be willing to take advantage of my referal offers.

1 Like

Really appreciate the constant communication and updates. Thank you for ensuring Mac client is taken care as well.

I wonder if these improvements can help to rethink Font Sizes and windows.

• Improved font size to Overview and certain other parts of the UI where scaling is not sufficient would help a lot for longer more comfortable game play.

• I know there are limitation to move windows out of the main window, but if at all that is somehow possible it may enhance the visual experience of the game.

Just few suggestion of a novice returning player.

Really been awesome being back in the game.

1 Like

I’ve been trolling (in all honesty just pointing out) AMD card users since the 20xx series release that everybody and their mum is going to be wanting to code some RT goodness into their products and the nay-sayers (fanboys) have been consistently poo-pooing me. As a dev myself I know I certainly love getting my hands on some genuinely new tech. They’re even supporting it in Unity/Unreal so indy developers will be able to use it without too much messing about as well. I think in 18 months it’ll be a standard thing that game engines have.

There’s not a lot of dense occlusion in Eve - space is dark, mostly, so I think RT should perform really well compared to a typical FPS. I’ve seen it in action in Metro and the new 3D Mark demo, and I’ve also played around with the DXR samples Microsoft provide (very basic). Looking at the Optix forums it seems to be a genuine boost for BVH traversal - almost order of magnitude performance increases.

Anyway please keep the dev blogs coming on this. I’m really interested to see what your devs are going to do with it.

While I am absolutely joyous about the long overdue 64bit rollout and the direct X 12 utilization, it seems that an overlap giving 32 bit customers time to upgrade might be a more suitable approach to keeping 5% of your customers bright and chirpy.

Yeeiiii thanx soo much CCP , its gonna be great rip of that TIDI stuff with the new 64 client , because if for that rigth?.. rigth?.. hooo well keep working on dunno wherever CPP do…

Finally, great!!! The graphic beauty of eve is really important part for me. Decided this month to by new system, is 5 years old now, perfect timing CCP!!! Want to power 2 x 4k monitor at highest settings, for playing 2 accounts. With 3rd monitor for browsers and the like supporting applications. Budget 1500-2000€ exclusive monitors

1 Like

how ■■■■■■■ old is it? Or do you just need to ditch your 32bit windows install and go to 64bit?

Wow a 13 year old pc. Windows 7 is no longer supported come January so you should be looking to upgrade anyway.

1 Like

Thank you for expanding your game without expecting people to pay a premium for any expansions. EVE spoiled me when I was young and I remember, when playing most other mmos; being like “wtf I’m already paying them monthly and they want me to buy the expansion too? What am I paying for???”

Took me 12 years to express this but y’know… #soon

1 Like

@CCP_Falcon @CCP_Vertex Will this mean a massively increased load capacity for multi threaded and multi-cored server-side improvements in large fleet battles? Aka: exponentially less tidi and better framerates?

As a person who actually works with the real mainframes, … it would be very, very interesting to see EVE server run on mainframe. As far as I know, it should have the capabilities to run near all parts of the server side … it would just require little “restructulization” :smiley: (I’m not a programmer, I have no idea if it’s possible to port from x86 to Power architecture, or maybe it could be as easy as just virtualizing the same, I don’t see in this part of things.)

I have not ever seen any info about it, was IBM Mainframe ever considered to host the EVE server? As the TQ is already running on IBM hardware, I’m guessing you also use the IBM DB2 databases ( Or IMS?), CICS could run the market system, MQ chat?

I know this question is more for the Tech team, but I’m just curious and since you mentioned them … :sweat_smile:

2002 called. They want their API back.
Wake up people. It’s 2019, I’m surprised how many people think this is a bad thing. Hell, we should have stayed in the stone age, so everyone has enough time to catch up to technology!

4 Likes