Devblog: EVE 64-bit & DirectX 12

Ability to adjust brightness of the Sun and particles plz. A ton of modern games, if not most, already have these and Eve is a dinosaur when it comes to this.

Raising system reqs is a very good thing for the game as a whole despite some of the players at the very low end because it has a good chance to put some sort of a check on number of clients ran per machine which should have been limited anyways. Potato mode right now is way too forgiving and enables more bots and more game damaging multiboxers. It needs to be eliminated with extreme prejudice.

2 Likes

You got the point. It will be a challenge for crazy multibox setups even.

or the crazy multibox setups just upgrade with a bit more ram and continue as if nothing changed

64bit Client, Yummy :eyes:

DX11/DX12 support, Yummy :eyes:

3 Likes

For legit players this will make zero difference. We’re already running 32, 64 GB system RAM + 6,8,12 GB or more of VRAM. The ones that will need to upgrade, or in professional botters case pay more for an upgraded host, will be the mass multiboxers that tend to part time bot or input broadcast and professional bots that run 20,30,50,60, or even 100+ clients at a time.

If all you’re running is 2-3 clients then you will still be able to do that even on some grossly outdated toaster with only 16 GB on it.

6 Likes

This is ridiculous news! I recently built a dual NVlink RTX 2080 Build and have been awaiting raytracing and directx12 on this! Hopefully i can get myself some cool Caldari Wallpapers i have been in desperate need of.

2 Likes

What about Linux users? Any ideea how well the new client will perform?

3 Likes

The 64 bit client is coming soon and will be DX9 and DX11. Then we will update later to DX12 (dropping DX9).

6 Likes

I’m amazed that you can still run EVE on a 13 year old computer…, just, wow. But that will come to an end sooner rather than later, please start thinking about an upgrade.

6 Likes

Linux is unsupported, ok. But, any chance to have some internal help with WINE for us LinuxONE / Zseries users? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The default client right now is DX11.

1 Like

64 bit will allow us access to enough memory for all foreseeable future.

4 Likes

256bit or riot
also quantum computing support when
CCPlz :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This change is only in the EVE Client; the EVE Server and EVE DB have been 64 bit since 2008 and 2010: https://twitter.com/CCP_Explorer/status/1101182055340261376

3 Likes

Today’s RAM standard defacto is 16GB which will allow to setup 4 EVE clients easily on mid graphic settings.

It’s harder to scale the CPU and GPU proportionally to that. Most Combat Sites can be designed to make sufficient load on CPU, even in a potato mode by adding default space objects there (aka vertices, and triangles).

1 Like

@CCP_Explorer @CCP_Falcon

Please make some changes to allow the brightness adjustments of the suns, and adjustments of particle density. Make camera angling to actually see the UI a thing of the past, or at least lower its frequency. Most games currently on the markets already have the particle thing in one form or another. the Sun thing would be exclusive to Eve, due to very limited (if any) other games with issues of Suns being too bright in them.

1 Like

Will the client-side changes have any chance of reducing the dropped commands when tidi pushes past 10%, and heads toward Soul-Crushing Lag™ territory?

Fingers crossed no more “C’mon baby, hold together!” moments in a big battle where that memory gauge slowly inches closer and closer to the inevitable Magic Crash Number…

Nice news a 64 bit client, ray tracing and maybe NVIDIA DLSS support in the future would be great!

Add support for 64-bit? Okay.
Drop support for 32-bit? NO WAY…
Able to run 64-bit client doesn’t mean able to run it efficiently, memory usage is the big big problem…
Hm… how to say it?

“Memory is not a problem, the problem is not enough memory.”

What I want to say is, 64-bit client is better only if there’s more than enough memory to run it, otherwise… (well, you should know the tech stuff better than me).

I don’t think there will be much problem in the test server though, because there should be no large scale battles around.