Devblog: EVE 64-bit & DirectX 12

This PLEASE!

1 Like

It is 0.5%.

No, this change now is client-side only.

There is more difference between 2^32 vs 2^64 than 640 kB.

1 Like

I guess I’ll have to authorise a change in budget allocations so staff can transition to new laptops, or face revolution >.<

Some of you are excited about ray tracing but in it’s current form it is pointless, and i by far no expert but i would imagine the ray count and picale sample count would be insane just to get a decent picture. Not to mention how dark it might make eveything, just like in space for real

If you look at how game developers are using RT right now it’s not a full-on RT scene. They’re using it to improve image fidelity on certain materials or as light/shadow probes and so on. The RT cores are just there to improve the speed of BVH traversal, so in theory you can use them for other things too like game physics and collision detection.

When it comes point/pointlessness, it’s no more pointless than programmable shaders were when they were first introduced (I’ve still got a GeForce 3 knocking about somewhere). I mean potato mode is playable, so you could argue the current physically-based materials are kind-of pointless too.

Our estimate is that 99.5% of EVE players are using a 64 bit operating system.

Current games are slower in dx 12 because they were coded in dx 11. The developers only added a compatibility layer.

Heh, I’m safe. My PC is 64 bit with 4g ram

Since you’re doing it all up, any chance you could add some sort of brightness adjustments specifically to the suns ? Its too bright even on lowest settings. us older people sometimes really feel it and playing in sunglasses, while that makes a cool meme, its just no good :frowning:

Also the suns / stars often make it a PITA to see the UI and you have to do all sorts of camera dancing to avoid it.

4 Likes

I use Vulcan already with the EVE client. DXVK translates DirectX calls into Vulcan calls. On my hardware setup using DXVK is actually faster. I’m kind of surprised you don’t use DXVK on your Mac client, or are you moving to DXVK for the new DX12 release?

2 Likes

Глупость в том что, в начале надо было узнать на каких пк играют а потом отталкиваться от этого, сейчас после выхода 64бит игроков станет меньше а вернуть их будет ох как трудно, в результате что получится денег для поддержания серверов и оплаты работникам обслуживающим сервера не станет, а значит сервера будут закрываться а значит качество игры упадёт в отношении серверов и в итоге остатки игроков уйдут а потом финита Евы онлайн не станет

Надеюсь через пол года игра не закроется из-за таких глупых идей )

The fix is simple : don’t play in metropolis and its bright red space ! go in gallente space :slight_smile:

The stupidity is that in the beginning it was necessary to find out what PCs are playing and then start from this, now after the release of 64bit players will be less and it will be difficult to return them, as a result, you will not have money to maintain the servers and pay the employees for the server , which means the servers will be closed, which means that the quality of the game will fall in relation to the servers and as a result, the remaining players will leave and then Eva’s finite will not be online

I hope in half a year the game will not close due to such silly ideas)

I think someone above mentioned that their PC that is 13 years old is 64bit. im sure more people have 64 bit than you realize… thanks for playing. have a nice day

This is the approach that we’re currently looking into, there will be more news on this later in the year. Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

DX11 isn’t going anywhere, even after DX12 has been released we will continue to support DX11.

2 Likes

I’d rather invest development time into improving the performance so you don’t feel the need to turn off visuals. If you haven’t already done so i strongly encourage you file a bug report which will give us relevant information to investigate the issue further.

1 Like

The matter is that filing a bug report, we don’t know when the bug is fixed. So after having fried two GPUs in signatures that have cloud, and filed a bug report (2 years ago ?), I just decided to keep my GPU cool by running in potato mode.
However I run on wine so maybe it’s supposed to “heat” my game experience a bit :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

No scene in any game should fry your GPU, this would point to a cooling issue within your computer or putting the GPU under full load for extended periods of time. I would recommend using internal one (v-sync) within the settings menu and monitoring your case temperatures. We have made various modifications to clouds over the years and of course we analyze performance during those tests but there is a limit to the amount of machine configurations we can test.

This is the reason that we encourage everyone facing an issue files a bug report as it can give us an indication that although previous changes may have resolved issues for some there are still some some issues remaining under certain conditions.

We spend a lot of time and effort making EVE beautiful, we want to make it perform so you can enjoy that visual experience! :slight_smile:

1 Like