Devblog: War, War Sometimes Changes

Make it to where you can still provide remote assistance to folks with LEs if you’re in the same corp. BAM there’s your criticism

Yeah… Can’t imagine how that would be abused and how it would further confuse newer players. We don’t want crime watch to become the US legal code.

Yes we hear the peanut gallery, you do not have the game-knowledge required to provide any valuable insight on the topic. Please stop interrupting the real conversation that’s going on. Thank you.

@CCP_Falcon

Throw down the gauntlet and have the Empires go to war.

Bring Faction Warfare to highsec. Let ALL of Empire space be a place of conflict for those who sign up.

For CCP it is marketable and noteworthy. Something to garner press and attention. “Choose a side” is a popular mantra in many different media and it sells! The potential for battles, stories, heroes and villains could spark a renewed passion for the game for those ‘young and old’. Battles with a real story are worthy of history. The history of the early Faction Warfare is one of the things that brought me to this game.

Highsec is often disjointed and too many people are isolated. Finding unity is like herding cats. Give them the ability to easily find fellowship and compatriots to group with. Offer benefits from the Empire of their choice as enticements too.

You could jump into the conflict and immediately find yourself among allies. With enemies in your sights.

Even industrial and mining players could join up and find benefits from the Empires in reduced taxes, costs or manufacturing perks. Maybe a reduction to fuel consumption in owned structures. And for those perks they take the risks of their enemies burning it all down. Risk/reward.

It is important to note that this would NOT take away any of the current action going on! This is opt-in content. Players, Corps and Alliances will continue on with their gameplay as they wish.

Add another layer of conflict that isn’t just ‘smart AI’ NPCs or ‘battle arenas’. ‘FW lite’ for new people to try combat that could lead them to more challenging areas of space. Hardcore mode for FW lowsec players running the gauntlet of Navies and Gate guns to achieve their aims. (For some these are only minor annoyance anyway;)

Think of the events that could be driven by this conflict. For example, imagine objectives to go into your enemies space and capture/destroy/hack key objectives. Or a contest based on Empire rankings or performance. Things that bring people together in common goals.

In conclusion

CCP has had 10 years of Faction Warfare to draw experience from. They already know what works and what is broken. There would be no need for Plexes in highsec, no reason to reign in Capitals or criminals.

Let the players shape the course of Eve history. Let all the battles and stories be worthy of future Lore and recognition that this is THE GREATEST MMORPG of all time…

1 Like

I 100% agree with this post! Faction Warfare is an awesome concept and I’d love to see it come to Highsec! I get asked all the time why after all the years I’ve been playing so I find myself in Highsec. The answer is easy and is something that a majority of the playerbase complains about - capital proliferation.

Rubbish…define isolated.

Any player can easily find a group to play with. If players want to play with others they will, if players want FW they can go get it now.

I disagree, the reason I’m HS is simply because I got fed up with the constant calls for an Ice fleet or Ore fleet to keep the structures fueled. It felt more like a job and was taking time away from my own gameplay.

Nothing to do with caps

I gave capital proliferation as one of my excuses. That wasn’t meant to lump everyone that stays in Highsec under the same reasoning.

1 Like
2 Likes

@CCP_Falcon @CCP_Lebowski

Can I opt-in to be on the receiving end of wardecs? If I own a corp, can’t I flip a switch and make my corp eligible for wardecs if I chose to?

I would also like to point out that this effectively moves wardecs out of reach of small entities without any noticeable improvement to the whole mechanic overall for people who are interested in doing wardecs. It looks like you simply added some more restrictions.

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t see the reason to kill a citadel, they don’t drop anything like a POS did, which I could kill over a weekend. Now it seems like it requires to take some vacation time or a big organization with people in all timezones to show up to two timers over more than a week for no gain at all.

Did you actually ask yourself who this feature was designed for? Because it seems you didn’t and the main focus was to do something fast with minimal effort without actual game design considerations.

Try salvaging a citadel. You’ll find there is more loot than you claim.
Also 99% of POS kills didn’t drop loot either because people removed the stuff first as there wasn’t much in them… if anything in them and not in the remote corp office.

And if you can’t afford a few hundred million for a cheap upwell structure how small are you talking and how do you expect them to be able to afford ships to fight the war in.

I got tons of drops from POS structures over the years. Yes, most POS owners cleaned their towers, but that was something they actively had to do and no automated mechanism. I don’t see what your argument is here? Do you think because it was relatively easy to secure your own stuff that warrants to completely replace it with an automatic system even if you had like 7x more time to do it?

I never said cost is an issue. I run a solo corp and I’m not even remotely interested to maintain a citadel just to be able to declare wars or being eligible (which I would opt-in for) to be on the receiving end of them.

Maintain a Customs Office then. That makes you eligible to receive a wardec.

And if Cost isn’t the issue you were talking about here, would you like to explain what is the issue that these small corps have that moves it out of reach?

Upwell structures are a cross between POS & Stations, they are meant to get people out of stations, so they need to have some of the benefits stations have to do so. POS also used to allow you to do everything from a Corp Office without anything actually being at the POS physically, meaning there was no loot to collect. Sure, the odd person was dumb, and the odd person ended up unexpectedly away from EVE for months, but on the whole POS were not loot pinatas. And they also fired back if the owner wasn’t online, while Upwell structures have mostly laughable defences (Keepstars excluded) especially in highsec.

I’m not really sure what you try to argue here. I told CCP in my post why I’m no longer interested in using wardecs and why. I’m not going to maintain a structure no matter what. I was 4 years fueling a tower in w-space and that really felt like a job at the end. And I don’t care if there are structures without fuel, I don’t want one, I’m not interested in them, period. Just because you think this isn’t a problem for you doesen’t mean it applies to everyone.

I was happy with small wardecs and now they are gone, CCP removed something from the game for me I enjoyed. No amount of you justifying the changes CCP did will change that.

Question: Did you use wardecs? Or what is your interest in this game mechanic?

Yeah I don’t really get how it is always only viable if it is 100% loot ponatas and 100% save and 100% reward. There was still a chance you got something and that’s the point. Now there is 0% apart from some stuff you can salvage.

I looted tons of blueprints, t2 materials, ships and modules out of POSes. That content is gone.

I mean if there was no way the people could evacuate their stuff everyone would cry about it, so the fact that this was pretty easy but occasionally someone screwed up sounds to me pretty balanced. I don’t see how this then justifies it becoming completely automatic because it was simply possible to rescue your stuff. Sounds pretty backwards to me.

He’s just some butt-hurt carebear trying to derail any topic presented by PvP players. You can ignore him, he doesn’t know enough about how the game works to even be apart of this conversation.

As far as what you were saying I completely agree. This patch does nothing but remove more content from the game. What company in their right mind would think that people are going to continue to pay subscriptions for anti-content patches? It’s a joke really.

I have to agree.

There is no more smack talk in Amarr.

Great Job CCP

The war balance was long overdue !
I personally like the anti - coward patch in april.
No more neutral reps for you PIRAT !

Just like we saw with the changes to wardecs, where we had a situation where a few bullies were having fun at the expense of tens of thousands, exploiting a game design that had been stagnant for too long.

Really Hilmar? Calling a section of your playerbase bullies for using game mechanics that YOU and YOUR company have allowed to fester even though BOTH sides of the wardec community have complaining about them for YEARS?

I can’t wait to see the look on your face as well as this communities when nothing changes with wardecs. @CCP_Falcon you need to give your boss some ■■■■■■■ pointers on how to communicate with his community, because singling out a group and calling them bullies for playing YOUR game in the way that YOU have allowed it to fester into is not our fault.

This really says a lot about CCP’s change in development though. Hilmar, you need to HTFU and get a grip.

7 Likes

The fact you take this so personally suggests you might like to think about your actions. he clearly wasn’t calling everyone who wardecs a bully.

2 Likes

In a society that is overly sensitive about everything, it’s clear that CCP’s development philosophy is geared towards your average millennial.

Everyone wins.

There is no distinction in the umbrella statement made by Hilmar. It becomes culture. It becomes what people think and what they say. You may not intentionally be doing it, but you create pariah’s out of a section of the player base that is playing in the sandbox within the rules and boundaries.

I don’t need to think about my actions because some out of touch CEO makes a blanket statement. It doesn’t so much offend as much as I am saddened to hear the mechanics referred to in this way by a company that has done very little to improve things that their customers have been wailing about for a long time.

It’s nothing more than them riding a trend wanting to appease the vocal mob of players.

But they didn’t make a blanket statement.
The very quote you made said ‘a few’. That isn’t a blanket statement.
You, right here, are trying to form a vocal mob over something that didn’t even happen.