Drifter Response Battleship - Fighting her Neut and balance [QUESTION]

I feel as if the title does not do this post justice, after thorough research on this specific Topic I have come to no real answer with solid proof other than corp member recommending I use Pyfa, but to refrain from Ranting let me state my question and the circumstance it involves.

I have been fighting C5 combat sites for what would be roughly 1-2 years now and I have never been able to find the actual numbers on how Capacitor Warfare Resistance operates and if I could sacrifice certain modules for, as an example, dps amplifying modules. Let me state where Im at and ask the concluding question.
I Currently Am using a Vargur fit that is ample in fighting the Drifter from C5/6 Combat sites, there’s no issue with my fit other than the curiosity of it being BETTER. When it comes to my fit I’ll just paste a simple version of what I use, in some cases certain modules can be different such as an additional hardener and abyssal batteries ETC but they all would contain similar low slots:

[Vargur, Simulated Vargur Fitting]
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Republic Fleet Gyrostabilizer

Gist X-Type X-Large Shield Booster
Gistum A-Type Multispectrum Shield Hardener
Republic Fleet Large Cap Battery

800mm Repeating Cannon II
Bastion Module I
Imperial Navy Large EMP Smartbomb
Corpus B-Type Heavy Energy Nosferatu

Large Capacitor Control Circuit II

Here are the Pyfa results on what the Regen Delta is on my Vargur (Optimal Regen)
Screenshot 2023-02-15 224531

Here are the Pyfa Results on the same fit but 1 Flux Coil is removed
Cap Delta:
+143 Gj/s
-49.9 Gj/s

Effective Excessive gain:
+213 Gj/s

So in conclusion this fit above is safe to fight the Drifter and would handle it nicely, but to my own demise I can’t help but argue there is room for DPS on this fit. My corp member explain to me by simply removing 1 of the three Cap flux coils from the low slot and instead using a gyro for more dps, that the fit would just not be able to withstand the neut pressure from the drifter (Exactly 200gj Per/S). Now this is where my cap warfare question comes into play.

According to Stacking penalties - EVE University Wiki my 4 Cap batteries on this fit should total to something over 73 percent of Capacitor Warfare Resistance. So In technicalities if there is NO other factors and that resistance only lets through 27 percent of 200gj/s neut power from the drifter… why would it not make sense that I only have to account for like 60ish something Gj/s neut drain and be sound minded about using my Gyro???
So please someone with sources or knowledge on this topic. Please explain to me whether or not this fit can sacrifice a single flux coil and, if so, could it also sacrifice more. Am I missing a percentages for warfare resistance penalties? maybe the flux coils count as 5, 6, 7th penalty modules for the batteries ETC. I just don’t understand how I only having 140ish gj/s (213gj/s without any of my mods running) and that not be sufficient.

I apologize if this post might be a long jumbly question but I really just need to know how I could make sure I won’t get neut’d out by the drifter with the usage of cap warfare resistance multipliers added into the mix, I feel having raw regen may not be the only way to avoid being capped out.

DISCLAIMER I AM ALSO NOT ASSUMING THE POSITION OF MY CORP MEMBERS IS CORRECT, IT MAY BE VERY WELL IN FACT I WAS JUST FED FALSE INFORMATION ON THE MECHANIC OF THIS DRIFTER BUT I HAVE BEEN NEUT’D TO DEATH BEFORE AND JUST FEAR LOSING MY VARGUR BECAUSE OF THIS LITTLE HUNGER FOR DPS

It might just be easier to actually try out the fit on the test server

1 Like

Hi

in PyFA, you can add third party influence on your fit with the Projected and Command tabs. To simulate the drifter battleship’s 200GJ/s pressure, first create a set of adversaries that inflict 200GJ/s capacitor pressure. In this case, a Tempest with 8x Heavy Neut would do the trick, but we can also assemble a composition of two Armageddons each with 4x Heavy Neut:

[Armageddon, 100gj/s]

[Empty Low slot]
[Empty Low slot]
[Empty Low slot]
[Empty Low slot]
[Empty Low slot]
[Empty Low slot]
[Empty Low slot]

[Empty Med slot]
[Empty Med slot]
[Empty Med slot]
[Empty Med slot]

Heavy Energy Neutralizer II
[Empty High slot]
[Empty High slot]
[Empty High slot]

[Empty Rig slot]
[Empty Rig slot]
[Empty Rig slot]

After importing the 100gj/s armageddon into PyFA, or creating a similar fit anew, go back to your Marauder, and add the Armageddon’s capacitor pressure on the Marauder by selecting the projected tab on the bottom, right clicking the effect list and selecting “add fit” to pop up a dialog enabling you to search/select the armageddon

find the armageddon fit on the left side and click the >> button to get it on the right side (just like it’s done in DPS graphs) and confirm the dialog …

… to add the Armageddons ewar effect on your marauder. You will notice that your Marauder has less capacitor stability with the Armageddon pressuring it then it had without the projection. However, we need to compose a 200gj/s pressure, either by creating a second fit with 4x heavy neuts and adding it, or by increasing the number of armageddons pressuring the marauder: Right click the armageddon in the projections list and select change projected item quantity

then input 2 and confirm the dialog. Once again, capacitor stability will decline, but the fit is still stable.

If you disable the capacitor flux coil, however, or remove a capacitor battery, the fit will “break” under the 200gj/s pressure. Note that it might not be critical, as not using the smart bombs results in the fit being stable despite one flux coil having been replaced, and you most likely use your autocannons rather than your smartbombs to handle the escalation battleship.

On the math, one Capacitor battery provides a 27% resistance to capacitor warfare, i,e. a
1-0.27 = 0.73 capacitor warfare efficiency modifier.
The second item provides another 27% on the 0.73 that were remaining after the first module, but scaled by a 86.9% stacking penalty modifier, i.e. a 1-(0.27 * 0.869) = 0.766 capacitor warfare efficiency modifier. This efficiency is multiplied on the efficiency provided by the first module to yield
(1-0.27) * (1-(0.27*0.869)) = 0.558 total capacitor warfare efficiency, or 44.2% resistance.
On the third module, a 57.1% stacking penalty modifies the third module, yielding into a total of
(1-0.27) * (1-(0.27*0.869)) * (1-(0.27*0.571)) = 0.473 capacitor warfare efficiency, or 52.7% resistance.
With the fourth module, a 28.3% stacking modifier is applied to the last module, yielding into a total of
(1-0.27) * (1-(0.27*0.869)) * (1-(0.27*0.571)) * (1-(0.27*0.283)) = 0.436 capacitor warfare efficiency, or 56.4% resistance.

Generally, for resistances it’s going to be
(1-1*R1) * (1-0.869*R2) * (1-0.571*R3) * (1-0.283*R4) * (1-0.106*R5) * (1-0.03*R6)
with R1, R2, R3, … being the resistances provided by the first, second, third, and so on, stacking penalized effect providers.

While the resistance is stacking penalized, the amount of capacitor added by the battery is not, and the primary reason for a fourth battery is additional total capacitor capacity, rather then additional resistance, indirectly improving the amount of capacitor regeneration per second by increasing the peak capacity, and also adding buffer: if you remove a flux coil and keep the smart bombs spinning, the drifter battleship will still need almost 4 minutes to deplete your capacitor, potentially enough time for the Vargur to finish off the drifter and then be safe again. If it was for the resistance only, a small cap bat would also provide it, while preserving CPU/PG for fancier guns or tank modules.

PyFA actually shows the capacitor warfare resistance at the capacitor information:

2 Likes

First off, I’m not famliliar with the battleship rat you want to fight, so I can’t recommend any ewar or strategy on it.

That said, the flux coil isn’t affected by stacking penalties, though it provides its very own penalty of reducing your peak capacitor. Each flux coil “effectively increases” capacitor repair by somewhat less then 20%.

The same effect on your repair capability can also be acchieved by consuming a Strong Mindflood Booster, which provides +20% total capacitor. The booster, however, consumes a booster slot rather then a low slot, so you could technically flip a flux coil for your third gyrostab and load some mindflood boosters, either to consume when the heavy neuting battleship spawns, or to consume before entering the anomaly. You don’t need the booster if the escalation BS doesn’t spawn, so you can be greedy and take the drug in your cargo, and only consume it when it’s really needed. However, the booster can have side effects, and depending on the side effect, you might want not to get scrammed on the combat grid, so taking the booster while tethered or forcefielded is safer then to take it on grid.

In this case of a strong mindflood, taking a poor dose of it not only leaves you w/o the capacitor bonus but also with crippled damage application and reduced tanking capability… not what we asked for, right? Always buy your drugs at a certified drug store :wink:

A third republic fleet gyrostab provides 14.7% more dps, and no single drug can provide that, though a Halcyon Y (login reward drug) can be combined with an Agency 'Pyrolancea' to provide a similar effect.

Note all 3 drugs can be combined, and with the flux coil replaced by the mindflood, the gyrostab can be used on top of it’s similar effect provided by the drugs, totaling in up to 30% higher DPS depending on the grade of the drugs.

A second way to gain additional DPS is implants. The storyline missions frequently reward implants, and highseccers sell them for profit, so there should be competitively priced implants available in the major trading hubs.
A Eifyr & Co. 'Gunslinger' LP series implant will improve the alpha of large projectile weapons, while a Eifyr & Co. 'Gunslinger' SS series implant improves the alpha of any turret weapon, and both can be combined.
The Inherent Implants 'Lancer' RF improves the rate of fire of any turret, and can be combined with the LP but not with the SS implant.

All those implants come in +5% damage variants which are “economic” in terms of additinal DPS per isk in the fit, while there’s also a +6% damage implant that is quite expensive. The RF implant is slightly better than the SS one, though it’s also slightly more expensive.

Going aggressive with drugs and implants, we could modify the fit you listed to get

[Vargur, Simulated Vargur Fitting]

Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II

Gist X-Type X-Large Shield Booster
Gistum A-Type Multispectrum Shield Hardener

800mm Repeating Cannon II, Hail L
Bastion Module I
Corpus B-Type Heavy Energy Nosferatu

Eifyr and Co. 'Gunslinger' Surgical Strike SS-905
Eifyr and Co. 'Gunslinger' Large Projectile Turret LP-1005

Strong Mindflood Booster
Agency 'Pyrolancea' DB7 Dose III

which has 33% more raw dps over the fit in the OP and 38% if you’re lucky with the login rewards, and 40% more if we use the Pyrolancea DB9 Dose IV, which is quite a bit expensive though.

See
Medical boosters - EVE University Wiki
Skill Hardwiring - EVE University Wiki
for more information

1 Like

Extremely helpful I appreciate the time and effort you put into this answer

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.