ECM considered Bad Manners in 1v1?

Recently I 1v1’d someone in null with an Ishkur, I had a plan to bait him into my armor pretty deep, then release the Hornet ECs. It worked flawlessly, and it was pretty fun. But immediately after, ohh boy, the salt that followed.

Is ECM considered bad manners in 1v1 PvP? Or is this guy just mad?

1 Like

Both really. I mean, you prevent the other side from fighting at all unless they use drones or a sebo with ECCM script. It’s annoying and cowardly but nothing you should get worked up so much.

IMO that iwould be bad in one and only one case - if that was an arranged fight and you both decided not to use ECM. In all other cases its OK. After all your EC-300’s could have failed jam cycles and you would die horribly.

PS EC’s on an Ishkur is a pretty interesting move

1 Like

Well I mainly ask to simply NOT push away players from 1v1.

Everyone said I wouldn’t beat an enyo in an ishkur. I wanted to prove them wrong. So I highly believed ECM would reign supreme in this case. I knew if I were to go shot for shot, he would win most likely. It was actually close until we both hit 50% Armor, then it was on. He slowly started to win So I pulled drones and popped out ECMs and the fight was decided at that moment.

Had I of started with ECM, something silly would of happened. I had to make him think his victory was secured so he stayed for the fight and didn’t call his friend in to kill me. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You outsmarted and outplayed him, this made him triggered and salty, mission accomplished. Well played. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

As long as you don’t bring ECM to every single fight, you won’t push anyone away.

And judging by your story, you just tried to prove someone wrong, which is a valid reason to resort to almost any measure necessary.

1 Like

Pretty much standard Enyo fit. Could you show what was inside your Ishkur too?

I don’t have it saved in fittings and I packed it up.

I can’t remember if I changed anything. It’s not the best fit. But something I slapped together with what I had in station at the time.

[Ishkur, MUhaha]

Assault Damage Control II
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer
Explosive Plating II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Warp Scrambler II
Stasis Webifier II
1MN Afterburner II

Light Ion Blaster II, Null S
[Empty High slot]

Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I

Warrior II x5
Hornet EC-300 x5

Void S x1000
Null S x1000

I can hear OP’s heartbeat from here ^^

1 vs 1? no, you beat him fair and square. If you didnt agree to NOT use ECM, he is just crying.
Bringing hundreds of ECM burst frigs to a titan fight however… Well… It didnt turn out very pretty…

I think it’s fair, in life there is no such thing as a fair fight and Eve is certainly not fair, if he would have been prepared he could have overcome as auto targeting missiles don’t seem to care AND isn’t there a skill that helps against this ladar compensation ect, eccm, and such?

He could simply have n+1 friends to help him, even just neutral logi(s) but instead he assumed his foe will not play any tricks… and he was wrong in his assumption.

I think that is what really triggered his reaction, he knew he made a flawed decision and could only blame himself so did the first thing most humans do in such a situation, found something / someone else to blame as an excuse for his own faults.

:wink:

3 Likes

Morality has no place in killing.

3 Likes

LOL LOL LOL

“you prevent the other side from fighting at all” …

Sorry but no. Eve is all about preventing the other side from fighting. To start off with, go to zkillboard and check freighter kills then log into the game go fly around Jita and start saying that in local. lets see how that works out for you. The guy that got ECMed was stupid and arrogant and is clearly 100% at fault for underestimating his opponent.

You thought about it, you planned it, you took care to execute it, you did excellent. Its the otehr dude tahts just salty. Maybe he thought of himself as some big as pvper and of you as a scrub. Well, now is time to stay on him and repeat this a few times to drive the point home.

1 Like

Killing ships, that can not fight back IS annoying and cowardly. Your freighter example is a very good proof, that Dyver_Phycad is right.

If you’ve enjoyed the salt that followed, why do you care if it’s bad manners or not? ECM being considered bad manners and the guy being mad aren’t two mutually exclusive things.

Lots of things in PVP can be considered bad manners; gatecamping, neutral logi, dropping supers on frigates etc. Yet those who do them don’t give a single ■■■■, and those who don’t are entitled to any kind of opinion they may have of them.

Also Hornet ECs aren’t really that good of a tactic. You are basically reducing your effective drone count from 20 to 10, making you a lot more susceptible to defanging and sacrificing damage type/speed variety. Once the Hornets roll their first jam attempts, if they fail they are out in the space doing nothing for 20 seconds, which is basically a 70% probability. During that 20 seconds an Enyo can reduce their number to 2 if not wipe them out entirely (ECs are squishy af), and the second jam attempt will be an even poorer excuse of what it was before. On top of that, now that the Enyo knows you only have 5 damage dealing drones, he may opt to just pop them and reduce your DPS to a sustainable level. You could try some shenanigans like releasing ECs and pulling immediately if they fail, but that’s still about 10 seconds where a significant chunk of your DPS is off the field.

Oh, also if the Hornets score their jams, you need to keep them in space so that the jam persists over the whole 20 seconds, during which time your DPS is from blasters only. Have fun.

TL;DR: Unless you enjoy PVP done in the framework of some sort of e-bushido, you have no reason to care. Aside from the fact that EC-300s in Ishkurs aren’t really good.

It’s fine, OP. ECM is just a tool in the toolbox. You’re giving up something to add ECM to your ship, so I think it’s fair. It’s not much different than kiting and damping someone, or neuting them to zero cap.

This thread reminds me of the description section of the Chameleon info…

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is ‘dishonorable’ and ‘unfair’.
Jam those ones first, and kill them last.”

• Jirai ‘Fatal’ Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104
7 Likes

that’s epic